A better appreciation of quiet computing

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadowknight

A better appreciation of quiet computing

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:41 pm

Due to my Phantom dying recently, I'm having to use a Sparkle PSU with an 80mm Yate Loon. At idle I'm guessing it's about 30db, at full force it's probably about 40-45db.

This sucks. I hate having to wait for RMA turnaround.

So those with a flawless sub 20db systems, make sure you REALLY appreciate what you've got. Especially if you ever have to use a noiser component while I wait for a replacement.

That is all.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:18 pm

Have you tried running that PSU externally and/or swapping the fan?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:26 pm

I tried a couple of years ago to switch the fan but it requires some type of funky special tool to open. Regular screwdriver won't work.

Putting it outside the case wouldn't help. I have it in the P180, so the lower cage keeps it cool enough for the fan not to speed up. A year ago my Seasonic died, and I used the Sparkle in my SLK3700AMB. PSU fan kicked in a lot in that situation.

Even in idle, I HATE it compared to my Phantom or my old Seasonic Supersilencer. I gave my RMA replacement to my brother, so now I feel like a complete dumbass for not keeping it as a backup if my Phantom died :(

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:53 pm

Shadowknight wrote:I tried a couple of years ago to switch the fan but it requires some type of funky special tool to open. Regular screwdriver won't work.
Torx or security Torx (for some bizzare reason) maybe?

What do the screw heads look like?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:57 pm

I don't know offhand, I'd have to dissassemble the PSU to look. I might just have to suffer through it. Sigh.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm

what an embarrassing name for a psu.

Hey boys, check out my sparkle! isnt it just DARLING!

my phantom has lived long and healthy and cool life in my all-in-one/24-7 gaming silent rig.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:06 pm

Did your phantom have a pink/purple sticker? El-Jefe, what about you?

I hope the newer revision of phantoms are reliable. so far mine is perfect and i couldn't be happier, but i just want to be sure that they fixed the problem issues in the newer revision of the phantom. i hope that the phantom psus don't all turn out to be phantom psu's.
Last edited by cotdt on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:29 pm

Actually, I never even saw a sticker on my Phantom, so I have no idea. My serial started with D04, apparently the D05s are supposed to be the more reliable revision.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:40 pm

Installed my new Phantom tonight. YAAAY. Now the hell that was the sparkle is over. There were some days where for no reason the fan would crank up and stay up for no reason. Literally. At no point, no matter the load, has the air coming out felt more than slightly warm. I'm guessing a bad thermistor.