"Lend me your ear (wax)"

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

"Lend me your ear (wax)"

Post by Bluefront » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:47 am

My sister the Otolangologist has been urging me to get a hearing test..not that I was having any problems. So I did it.

The doctor had to remove some wax deposits before the test....standard procedure I suppose. Well I tested normal except for some slight loss at high frequencies. My college room-mate had the same procedure some years ago....and he said his hearing improved drastically. He could even hear his heart-beat, he said (?).

I was interested how I would react.....First thing I noticed was my radar retector was too loud...the beeps. At home the water sounded different from the bathroom sink. But when I tested my batch of quiet-modified computers, they all sounded the same.....heh. This leads me to believe that everyone reacts differently to ear-wax removal. For me the effects were not so obvious.

But you also have to take such statements as "my computer is silent" with a grain of salt. The owner of that supposedly quiet computer may well have his ears totally clogged with wax...... :lol:

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:12 pm

I just want everyone to know they can trust my ears :D

I had to have an audiology (?) test like that for my medical for the Naval Academy, and I scored "excellent." They didn't take any wax, however. I wish I asked what my raw score was, but you know... I didn't want to seem too interested in my ears... :P

My eyes, on the other hand.......

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:46 pm

There are other factors too. Like the brain and how tolerant it is of noises. Some people are a lot more easily irritated by noise than others, even if they both have equally good ears.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:49 pm

I have industrial hearing damage in midrange frequencies.
This contrary to what you would think makes me more sensitive to unwanted
noise because it masks what I am trying to hear . I find that small ammounts of noise can cause annoyance even though others do not notice that it is there .