Upgrade susgestions, xmas time yay

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bexx

Upgrade susgestions, xmas time yay

Post by bexx » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:25 am

Heres the 2 areas where I need help.

Right now I have a 400w Antec PP412X powering my computer. I modded it a little open up the vents, and put a 7V Panaflo l1a inside it. Its still the loudest thing in my computer.

My computer is sorta power hungry, 2.4B p4 @ 2.88ghz 1.65v a 4600 oced alot blah blah.

What should I do about my powersupply, is watercooling it the next step?

Would putting the l1a to 5v be okay? I used to have it at 5v with an old 1ghz athlon and stuff.

Other area I need is cooling my radiator. Basically with no fans on the radiator, my cpu on load is ~48C. With 2 5v l1as its ~43C. Forget how low it got with 12v, was too loud so I didnt' even wait for the temp to stablize (it takes awhile with a 3 gallon res hehe).

I always planned on putting 2 120mm fans next to eachother... I had 2 120mm papst fans (the 26dba ones) in mind. Now I'm afraid that they would be overkill. Even if I put them at 7v they're gonna push alot mroe air than i need. So I was wondering just how slow you can get a 120mm fan to spin. I'm guessing that you can't give those papst fans 5v and have them spin at all.

THe only problem with my current setup is that it doesnt' look nice ;). There is a hole the size of the radiator on the top of my comptuer and the radiator actually is outside the computer sitting on top of it.. between hot air in the comptuer rising and the 2 5v l1as thats how the radiator is getting cooled. Anyways it is okay for now, but eventaully I have this aluminum case design in my head and 80mm fans won't look as good as 2 120mms.

Oh yea one last question, I plan on getting 2 120gig drives for xmas... right now i have a cudaIV between 2 aluminum plates (hehe ~7.5 pounds total i was too lazy to cut 3/4" metal) Anyways, I think I should get 2 120gig cudaV drives, but they are expensive. I'd be spending $60 extra or so over getting maxtors. They'll both end up between metal plates as well... will there really be a difference between maxtors and cudaVs?

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:06 am

bexx wrote:I always planned on putting 2 120mm fans next to eachother... I had 2 120mm papst fans (the 26dba ones) in mind. Now I'm afraid that they would be overkill. Even if I put them at 7v they're gonna push alot mroe air than i need. So I was wondering just how slow you can get a 120mm fan to spin. I'm guessing that you can't give those papst fans 5v and have them spin at all.
I am not 100% sure about the papst, but my power cooler 120 mm. fan runs at 5V all the time, and it works just fine (900 or so rpm). I suspect the papst (and my fan too) can go a little lower on voltage as well, trial and error is the key word here, just make sure it starts consistently.