AtomChip SG220-2

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats

AtomChip SG220-2

Post by Mats » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:11 pm

I don't get it. Is this for real? The site looks so strange, I guess they've put all the money into R&D instead... :lol:
This pic speaks for itself... yes, TB, not GB. :shock:
The interface looks like IDE, it uses Intel 855 chipset.

A 6.8 GHz mobile CPU is very impressive too...

I knew this was coming, but I didn't realize that the future was already here...

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:23 pm

i want to buy it

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:27 pm

Looks like bullshit to me. Look at this:

It takes 64 bits to address more than 4 GB of RAM. SP2 wouldn't "just work" with 1 TB. This is clearly photoshopped.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:00 pm

The fact that the 'processor' is made from a CD/DVD laser kinda gave the game away.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:08 pm

I saw this a while back on another board, verdict was that it's never going to happen.

Think about it like this, if you could get a 1Tb into a compact flash memory card the company making it would make an utter killing. There is nothing implying there is any such sales going on.

It's bollocks.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:11 pm

On the other hand, who needs it either?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26100

32GB on one card is more than enough to run an OS off, add that in with hardware that can already use CF as a boot disk and you've got a silent HD, or better yet a hybrid design. (400Gig for longterm storage on conventional hard drive platters and 32Gig to run the OS and current applications on)

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:20 pm

so I can get my money back on that Atom Chip,Right?

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:58 pm

:? and how fast is compact flash memory !

think i'll stick to my segate thanks all the same.

luggage

Post by luggage » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:39 am

dedogs wrote::? and how fast is compact flash memory !

think i'll stick to my segate thanks all the same.
Well

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_enterp ... nd_ssd.php

Pretty fast.

Hezz

Post by Hezz » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:57 pm

Guys,

I know this site looks like BS but the technology is valid. At least for the mass storage. I can't speak for the CPU. I remember about five years ago reading an article in Scintific American or something. The encoding is not electronic except for the driving and control mechanisms. It does not use transistors or any kind of solid state device as the memory mechanism. Electronics are only for control of the lasers and such. OF course there is electronics which interface with the rest of the system.

THe memory is a holographic representation encoded with interfering lasers in a 3d substance or crystal. Five years ago they had a working prototype the size of a suitcase. Five years ago they were predicting memory densities of hundreds of terabytes in a cubic centimeter sized crystal.

However it is possible that the company or website is a hoax or it might seem like one because it was put up by non artist engineers types who's native language is not english and who have no sense of the typical artistic website. Whoever put up those photos works or has access to a clean room environment.

Also the company is obviously a R &D company with no customer or retail interface.

It is possible that this is what will be standard consumer technology in ten years. In any case this statement from the website can be checked to see if it is real.

"At the CES-2005 the company Compu-Technics, Inc. (partner of the company Atom Chip Corporation) demonstrated two new models of the first wireless notebook computer on the market without a Hard Drive. For the first time ever in consumer computers 100GB and 256GB AtomChip@non-volatile RAM/Storage and 4.0GHz AtomChip@ CPU were used in both computers. SG111 was the only one to receive an Award in the Computer Components category for Design & Engineering. SG220 was not submitted for a nomination because the same new components were used in it as in SG111. Both computers were ready for work right after being turned on and did not require rebooting of Windows, unlike when regular RAM and HDD are used. Despite the fast speed of the new RAM and CPU, the overall speed of the computers depended on other slower components mounted on the motherboard of the computers. In the new model SG220-2 the motherboard and its structure are fully replaced. The new RAM has 256 bits (4 x 64bits) in a word, not 64 bits as in SG111 and SG220. For proper functioning of Windows XP, which works with fewer bits in a word, the new AtomChip@decoder/transceiver, AtomChip@co-processor and AtomChip@Quantum II processor were utilized. The real speed of the system is limited by the fact that the operational systems used in SG220-2 have slow work speed compared to the capabilities of the new RAM and processor. However, today it is the fastest personal computer on the market. It will be possible to review the testing report issued by one of the reputable laboratories. The test report will be published by patent office at release of the patent. It also can be read on CES 2006, Booth number 36604, LVCC SO4. Due to a change of management of the company Computechnics Atom Chip Corporate SDN BHD (Malaysia), devastating flood in the region in the Fall of 2004 and other reasons the contracts with the suppliers of components were not concluded and serial release of SG111 and SG220 was not begun."

Hezz
Last edited by Hezz on Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hezz

Post by Hezz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:09 pm

It's funny because the pictures of the stuff on the website look so cobbled together out of junk and photoshopped up but the CES 2006 website actually shows this company registered for the CES 2006 show. If this is bogus they are going a long way to create a hoax.

http://cesweb.org/attendees/show_floor/ ... rodid=5420

Hezz