logitech mouse whine partial fix

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Straker

logitech mouse whine partial fix

Post by Straker » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:49 pm

For 510s (and presumably all other mice using the same basic design):

Leave the mouse plugged in. Open it up (three screws, two top one bottom, under the slits in the stickers) by taking off the top. Be careful with the wheel, since there are two springs (one to make it clicky when you rotate, one to push it back up after you click) which will pop off if you fiddle with it too much.

On the main IC that takes up most of the lower part of the mouse, you'll see a Z-shaped (think tetris) plastic strut that covers the IR sensor IC and is held down by 2 screws. Unscrew it and take it off, see if the mouse still makes anywhere near as much noise. It doesn't seem to be anything specific, just when the board is torqued a certain way it makes more/less noise. Anyways, if that reduced the noise, there's a bit of plastic shaped like a plus sign sticking out of the bottom of the strut; take a file/dremel/whatever and remove it, then screw the strut back down lightly.

I used to be able to hear mine at arm's length when it was beside me. The noise is so high-pitched that it only seems to come out in a straight line through the gaps in the mouse, so I can still hear it every now and then, Ihave something more... thorough in mind I might try later.

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:31 pm

now THATS a serious SPCer at work, hehe

nici

Post by nici » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:29 am

The 510s and the 518 i´ve had only has a ery faint whine.. Meaning i have to put my ear right next to it to hear anything.

My Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 whines like hell though, it whines loudly everytime i move the mouse or scroll.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:40 am

Straker,

Is the problem you're fighting with identical to what I've described here (for many years):

http://jdc.parodius.com/logitech/

Just curious -- because if so, I don't think it has anything to do with the IR sensor IC cover, it has something to do with the actual transmitter or receptor itself.

If you do find a solution for this problem, PLEASE contact me via mail or this board or in this thread -- I don't care how. :-)

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:59 am

Isn't it a little overkill to post this in 3 different threads about the same thing :?:

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:42 am

I agree. One post with links to the other two threads would have done just fine. I try not to do this, especially if the threads are not currently active.