removing thermal compound

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

liz

removing thermal compound

Post by liz » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:39 am

just bought the zalman HP-80 to silence my Ge-force to shut it's infernal high-pitched wine up. only problem is I took the fan off and there is a horrible green gloop everywhere. what would you recomend to take it off?( i want to do it soon, so can't get hold of anything from a computerwebsite, only household stuff).

I have some pure acetone from the chemist, will that do the job without killing anything? I could also go and get some meths or other such spirit tomorrow if u thing something else would be better?

thanx guys.

liz

addition: I also have vodka (being a student house and all) and some white spirt

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:48 pm

Get what you can off with a razor (be careful not to scratch anything). Then clean it off with alcohol (rubbing?)

Anyone care to add anything?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:32 pm

%Sandblaster at 200psi. Followed by a good scrubbing with muriatic acid. Rinse with 1700psi steam cleaner.%

Zyzzyx
-use of the % sarcasm delimiter carried over from other boards I frequent

SupernintendoChalmers

Post by SupernintendoChalmers » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:11 pm

Just use the old fan. Drink the Vodka that you have until your head feels numb and then you won't hear the noise anymore.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:45 pm

I don't know what product you have in the UK, but over here there are two that work quite well, "un-du" and "goof off". They are marketed as adhesive removers. I don't know what is in un-do, but goof off has xylene.

Avoid citrus-based adhesive removers, as they will leave a greasy mess behind.

un-du comes with a handly plastic scraper, but an old credit card will do.

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:12 pm

Hi all.

I have been using isopropanol alcohol (99% pure) for many years. This is like rubbing alcohol without the oil. If you clean up all the 'goopy stuff', the isopropanol alcohol doesn't leave any residual film behind. Ideal for CPU & new heatsink thermal compound materials.

Available at most medical or food supply places (London Drugs, Pharasave, Safeway, etc.). Cheap too, 500ml @ less than $2.00 Canadian. A little goes a long way.

TerryW 8)

liz

Post by liz » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:45 pm

Thanx TerryW, lucky for me I was able to get some IPA from the chemistry department for free, worked a treat. Thanx again.

liz