Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard follow up

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

patord

Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard follow up

Post by patord » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:07 pm

Since acaurora's original thread about the 4000 is now locked because of questionable posts... I am starting a new one FOR OWNERS (current and former) of this keyboard and those that *are* interested in it. Dvorak lovers and Micrsoft haters need not apply.

Just curious, if you own (now or before) a 4000... what's your opinion thus far? In terms of your subjective requirements to be "quiet". If you no longer use one, why not?

Prior to acaurora's post, I just about gave up on finding a semi-ergo semi-quiet keyboard. I have close to a dozen various keyboards claiming to be quiet to some degree... some from posts recommendations here, others from my own trials. I finally got off my butt and bought the 4000 this week. And boy, my UltraX, Benq, PSK, and others are now going to be door prizes for friends and relatives.

Note that I did tried the ComfortCurve2000, and I found myself liking the 4000. Also, I am vary biased. I have been using the *original* Microsoft Natural PS/2 keyboards since they first came out. I have over 5 of them still in use - but looks like I will be retiring all of them soon!

patord

Post by patord » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Ok. I'm a dork. When I searched for "Microsoft 4000", GHz's
thread
did not show up in the results... Microsoft was apparently abbreviated. Apologies for starting another thread.

My observations thus far:

1. for those that like the Natural style of keyboards, especially the original wired ones... this is finally a worthwhile upgrade.

2. all the keys are very "quiet" to me (especially compared to my UltraX and PSK)... except the SPACE BAR - as another pointed out in the thread above.

3. I'm silly, but I thought the built in padded wrist rest was a gimmick at first.. but I'm loving it now.

TiredOldMan

Post by TiredOldMan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:47 pm

My wrists and had begun hurting recently, but this seems to have taken care of it. And it's quiet. AND it gets comments becasue it looks so wierd. Come to think of it, I suppose that last bit does raise the decibel level a bit :wink:

I just love it.

Tired Old Man

Ihmemies

Post by Ihmemies » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:03 am

I bought it right away when they arrived to Finland. Kicks ass, and the fake leather armrest is very nice. You learn to type with this after a few days (or weeks). The keyboard definitely looks cool. Only complaint comes from my friends, which say it's impossible to type with this :P

patord

Post by patord » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:10 am

I have found the larger footprint of the keyboard to be of concern in certain environments I am trying to use it in. eg, cramped desk. Otherwise, because of how "weird" the keyboard is I am finding that it deters people from wanting to use my workstations and/or servers I have these keyboards on now - which is a good thing in most cases :)

The one thing I am still coping with is the Function key layout and sizes (of the actual buttons themselves). Every keyboard has its quirks and this one has its share. But, overall, for me it's the quietness I am finally looking for in non rollup based keyboard - split or otherwise.

As for the simulated leather wrist rest, I'm so goofy I plan on putting some of the protector stuff I use on my leather jackets on it.

RV8C

Post by RV8C » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:05 am

When I first got the 4000 I was quite pleasantly surprised by the absence of sharp clicking from the keys. Now I can hear myself think when I type... My only peeves about the 4000 are 1) the sticky space bar, which unfortunately IMO is the worst space bar I've ever used - even worse than the cheapie $5 keyboards and 2) the almost useless Zoom toggle. C'mon MS, let us re-map the zoom toggle to some other function in the next Intellitype release!

my 2 cents... :o

patord

Post by patord » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Agreed.

The space bar is peculiar. Its not as bad as I get use to it, but I guess MS had to cheap out on figuring out if they should allow varying pressure through the curvature of that key...

The zoom toggle is useless to me at the moment. I refuse to load MS's intellitype junk drivers. I had problems with it long long ago, and those fond memories have never left me. I'm sure it's fine and dandy now, but I bet it's gotten bloated like everything else they code.

HomerSapien

Post by HomerSapien » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:43 am

I got mine yesterday. I dont seem to have a problem with the space bar that you guys talk about. I dont really think it takes any more force to press than any other keyboard.

Maybe you guys are just weak.. :P

So far this has been the most comfortable keyboard i have ever used. There is no clicking on the qwerty keys, just on the back and forward buttons.

My only complaint is that we do not have total control of mapping the keys and that when changing tracks, the player has to be the top window, but i knew that before i bought it so i cant complain to much about it.

Other wise its an excellent keyboard.

mellon

Post by mellon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:34 am

I've been happy with my 4000 although the spacebar is indeed a bit clunky. The problem is that the parts of the spacebar closest to your thumbs in normal writing position (upwards facing corners) are the most difficult to press. If you hit the spacebar in the middle it's just fine. Wristrest is just fabulous, great material and just soft enough but not too soft.