Fan isolation Goop?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aris

Fan isolation Goop?

Post by Aris » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:28 pm

i'm looking for some sort of adhesive like goop that will dry and basically "glue" a fan into place against a powder coated aluminum faceplate, and also give some good vibration isolation.

anyone know of anything that would work good for this? i was thinking just normal caulk, but i thought i should ask.

feddup

caulk!

Post by feddup » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:51 pm

I just attached my 120mm globes with four rubber "screws" and put a bead of DAP silicone rubber sealant (high end caulk) around the fan frame then applied gentle pressure with two peices of wood and a c-clamp overnight. I was pretty impressed with the results. It seems like no fan vibration at all. I'm not sure how it would stick on powder coating.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Search for posts by m0002a containing the word caulk. He is a big fan of that fan mounting method.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:16 am

did the search.

so caulk is good then, i figured it would be.

i like the idea of putting rubber screws through the holes so that just the round thin pad of rubber is on one side of the fan, and then caulk it in place. add just a bit more stability and dampening.

i'm gunna be drilling a 3" hole in the front of the case with a hole saw, but my experience with drilling fan mounting holes has resulted in less than proffesional results. so i'd rather just "glue" one in place, and have the profesional look from the perfectly round 3" hole. i doubt it'll jar loose, it will have support from sitting on the bottom of the case (on a thin coat of caulk) along with the edges of the fan against the front of the case.

last thing to figure out now is how to "cover up" the fan hole with some sort of black non see through material without restricting airflow too much. i was thinkin somthin like extruded alumunim, modders mesh, or mabey like black nylon pantyhose.

what do you think?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:33 am

The powder coat will be glossy,so the area where the silicon will go should first be sanded with about a 150 grit. Silicon caulk needs a full day to be well cured