Silent mice... no more clicking noises!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yooner

Silent mice... no more clicking noises!

Post by yooner » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:15 pm

Found this while browsing through engadget...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/14/than ... the-click/

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:34 pm

Dang, you beat me to it. By almost a day too from the looks of it :-)

Thanko has some very, erm, interesting products. Some of which I'm pretty sure they OEM from someone else (e.g. the USB Wireless lock). A USB flower pot speaker? Erm, maybe next time. The Boss Switch looks useful though.

Too bad the mouse looks assymetrical (not for lefties). I wonder about the tactile feedback. Quiet is good, mushy is not.

I'm still waiting for an affordable wireless (left handed) glove I can wear that recognizes gestures (and I don't mean just the middle finger) that can be used as a mouse substitute.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:14 pm

good price too, I want one. :lol:

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:24 pm

It looks like MS IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0

look -> http://tinyurl.com/mxkht

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:42 pm

>5 times more silent
umm, no. see qviri's sig.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:44 pm

VERiON wrote:It looks like MS IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0

look -> http://tinyurl.com/mxkht
It's actually alot different, it better be smaller too because that microsoft mouse is really huge.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:38 pm

www.dynamism.com carries the Thanko now, but for $35 :? I've e-mailed them about sending a sample to MikeC for a review.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:22 pm

does everyone really want a silent mouse?
i would find it really eerie using a computer that was 'silent', and no mouse or keyboard noise atall.
sure, i can understand wanting them 'quiet' but personally i'd want some noise, for feedback purposes too..
'edit': i suppose.. its only like using a touchpad and doubleclicking on that.. which i dont find atall weird.. so, maybe it wouldn't be..

and it looks like a cheap china knock-off of the MS mouse, which i'd much prefer.

still it would be nice to see a review that wasn't a psu or a hard drive. can't see it being very long though? lol.

i think the blue light in the scroll wheel will make it more annoying than a regular mouse anyway! ..what is it with everyone having to put an LED in everything lately?.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:11 pm

mb2 wrote:does everyone really want a silent mouse?
i would find it really eerie using a computer that was 'silent', and no mouse or keyboard noise atall.
sure, i can understand wanting them 'quiet' but personally i'd want some noise, for feedback purposes too...
I agree. In fact, this is the first time I've ventured into one of these "silent input device" threads, just because I was curious. I actually want my buttons to politely click in acknowledgement of my command, rather than having no noise at all. In my fairly limited experience, I've found that buttons and keys that do not audibly click have a terrible mushy feel to them, while very clicky devices usually feel positive and crisp to use. I don't believe anyone makes spring type keyboards anymore, in favour of the membrane type... :( Fairly noisy, but they were my favourite.

Besides this, I sometimes have a tendency to rest my fingers on the mouse buttons, and I'd like to hear the click to tell me to wake up. :P

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:10 am

I agree with Brian; I have three IBM Model M buckling spring kbds and i love them to death.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:34 am

Chris Chan wrote:I agree with Brian; I have three IBM Model M buckling spring kbds and i love them to death.
I think my dad still has the 15 year old original IBM AT keyboard (sounds like the model M) I know it needs strong fingers to use :)

I'm still getting used to the MS Natural keyboard 4000, after having the MS Natural KB pro for the last 6 years. It's quieter and seems more comfortable but at the moment it seems a little too light... I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:28 am

I'm considering getting this mouse for testing purposes, though I have some issues with the design that might keep me from wanting to use it as my main mouse (corded, no side buttons). Right now I'm poor, but given I have a minor amount of "street cred" from the SPCR in a Nutshell thing in the Newcomer room, I'm willing to take Paypal donations to help pay for the bloody thing so we finally have an idea of whether the mouse is actually quiet, or it's more marketing garbage, and if it's decent in gaming. I might even submit a minor review for the main site. You can paypal (or e-mail me to tell me what a jerk I'm being) at [email protected]

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:26 am

This would be great. I mostly use Logitech mice. I like the size and feel of them. But the clicking level is really unnecessary. This is especially true of the scroll wheel. I like the Microsoft scroll wheel better as it is mostly quiet.

As for the 'click' feedback. Have you ever used a mouse in a noisy environment or with headphones on? Did you have trouble telling if you clicked the mouse or not? I think feeling the button click is more important than hearing it.

But this is all just my opinion.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:04 am

Hello,

My new Logitech MX610 has a very quiet scroll wheel. The main two buttons do click some, but are quieter than previous models I have used.

The MX610 is my new favorite mouse: it has 10 (count 'em, 10!) buttons, and they are much more usable than on previous designs. It has replaceable AA batteries, so you use some nice 2500mAh NiMH rechargables and get a few weeks of heavy duty use, and it has a laser. The USB reciever is tiny, with no cord.

And you can even get a left handed model.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:19 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:And you can even get a left handed model.
:shock: Is there an emoticon for wild enthusiasm?

I'd given up on major manufacturers making lefty mice anymore.

Damn, not available yet... *sigh*

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:31 am

Wow, $60 for a mouse, that's a novel idea to me...

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:54 am

qviri wrote:Wow, $60 for a mouse, that's a novel idea to me...
$60? That's nothing.

Oops, wrong rodents.

The regular MX610 is available for $45 or even lower. Still pricey for a mouse - my threshold is about $30 for a good ambidextrous mouse, but I'm willing to cough up more for a good lefty mouse.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:59 pm

Shadowknight wrote:www.dynamism.com carries the Thanko now, but for $35 :? I've e-mailed them about sending a sample to MikeC for a review.
I contacted dynamism about an order I placed for the Thanko mouse. Apparently, they're having problem keeping it stock, because it keeps selling out! :shock: So, who's been buying it on this forum?

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:43 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The MX610 is my new favorite mouse: it has 10 (count 'em, 10!) buttons, and they are much more usable than on previous designs.
The MX610 is almost a perfect mouse... but I noticed that it had lots of trouble when I was gaming.

I've a Wireless B network in my house (Old crappy Linksys), and I think that's the reason why I was getting very choppy movement in games. If they made a wired version of the MX610 and called it MX618 or something..... they would have an amazing mouse.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:15 pm

I got one today (well, yesterday, April 5th). I'm going to post a review tomorroe in the user review section.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Posted my review here

hapveg

Post by hapveg » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:17 am

Wow, left handed mouse from a major manufacturer.

I ended up paying $99+shipping+customs for a lefty mouse. It wasn't even a high quality gaming mouse, just a normal 5 button mouse with a cheap optical sensor. The drivers were ergonomic / RSI related, not too useful for a healthy lefty, I had to hack some other mouse drivers so they'd falsely identify the lefty mouse as one of their own.

Really comfy mouse though, 3 sizes.

In hindsight, it's been used a lot, and hasn't broken, maybe it's better made than I thought.

jjr

Post by jjr » Mon May 08, 2006 1:39 pm

Logitech does the V400 : there is not even a wheel any longer !!!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ENTID=9508

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon May 08, 2006 2:11 pm

jjr wrote:Logitech does the V400 : there is not even a wheel any longer !!!

I hate that mouse, it's too small, the buttons whobble almost 3 mm verticaly and the guy who put touchpad in place of the scroll wheel must be the biggest idiot on the planet - it's impossible to use the damn thing, the flesh tip of the finger becomes sore after only couple of minutes of "scrolling". Useless.

jjr

Post by jjr » Mon May 08, 2006 10:27 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
jjr wrote:Logitech does the V400 : there is not even a wheel any longer !!!

I hate that mouse, it's too small, the buttons whobble almost 3 mm verticaly and the guy who put touchpad in place of the scroll wheel must be the biggest idiot on the planet - it's impossible to use the damn thing, the flesh tip of the finger becomes sore after only couple of minutes of "scrolling". Useless.
Interesting feedback, thanks !
I was nearly about to buy it, maybe I'll reconsider now ...

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue May 09, 2006 8:34 am

hapveg wrote:Wow, left handed mouse from a major manufacturer.
It's almost mid May and it's still not released. Early April my foot. If anyone happen to see their left handed CEO please pass on the message.
Last edited by lenny on Tue May 09, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 09, 2006 8:45 am

Greetings,

It might help if we all requested to be notified when it comes out?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... NTID=11532

I'm a righty, but I mouse so much, that I need to use one of these to rest my right arm/wrist/hand.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue May 09, 2006 9:02 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Greetings,

It might help if we all requested to be notified when it comes out?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... NTID=11532

I'm a righty, but I mouse so much, that I need to use one of these to rest my right arm/wrist/hand.
Already did that, haven't heard anything from them.

Have you tried one of the mouse alternatives like the Gesture Pad? I thought it sounds promising, but apparently the company (or the market) doesn't agree - the company's been bought out and the product discontinued. I think it's a pricing issue. With a MSRP of $150, not many people are going to be interested.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 am

Heard from Logitech a couple of days ago that the MX610 leftie edition is available for order direct from Logitech. Amazon has it for $65.94. Way to go, Amazon! Selling it for more than MSRP! Office Depot (through Amazon) offers it for $10 less.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:57 pm

mb2 wrote:does everyone really want a silent mouse?
sure, i can understand wanting them 'quiet' but personally i'd want some noise, for feedback purposes too...
since silencing my mouse (atleast the left button) from the thread somewhere.. i now have changed my views, and its actually very nice not to have the sound. however, atleast from this method, the tactile feedback has been lost somewhat too. i dont really find it a problem thou, and i'd do it again if i had the choice.