Rumor: GFFX canceled

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Rumor: GFFX canceled

Post by GamingGod » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:04 pm

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7615
anyone see this? im guessing just rumors?

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:37 pm

[H]ard|OCP linked to a story that called it a "limited production". It could well be. nVidia needed to put something out, and they needed it to be faster than the 9700 Pro. Not lots faster, just some faster. By the sounds of it (pun definitely intended) the FX is not anywhere near as refined as it should have been. It will be around only as long as it takes nVidia to get the next card out. I'm willing to wager that after that happens, we'll never hear (oh...snicker...please...hee hee...stop) of it again.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:06 pm

Yea i wouldnt be suprised if they only made a small amount of them to see if they would sell, but i doubt they would completely cancel them unless they had a serious design problem.

Mike Sae

Post by Mike Sae » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:07 pm

but i doubt they would completely cancel them unless they had a serious design problem.
I does have a serious design problem. :P

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:55 pm

lol yeah i know, but probably not from their point of view

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:19 pm

Even from their POV --

- It does not achieve a decisive victory over its most important competitor (the 9700)
- The noise level is unacceptable even by diehard oc websites

If that is not an incredibly serious problem for a gamaing-dependent high performance component mfg, what is?

Alicey

Post by Alicey » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:00 pm

I lurk x3dfx, the place where the rumour originated. It was made by someone who doesn't even pretend to have sources, and all replies to it said he was making it up. Along comes The Inquirer (God bless their little cotton socks), who think "Wow omigod GFFX cancelled wowowowowow" and post it. And of course sites post links to The Inq. A look at the original thread tells you how made up it is.

One day The Inq. will get sued for posting such rubbish. It really makes online computer journalism look so poor. They post 900 random made-up rumours per day, then once per year they get lucky and spend forever saying "We told you so!"

Edit: High-end graphics aren't where Nvidia gets all their cash from, they're huge in the OEM market with the GF 2&4 MX ranges, and even still the TNT2. And they're branching nicely into motherboard chipsets. I think the 'enthusiast' video graphics market is 5% or so, maybe as low as 3%, and definitely no higher than 10%. The figures vary depending on where you look, so meh.

NateR

Post by NateR » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:36 pm

meh?

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:20 pm

meh.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:03 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if they skipped a product cycle. In effect, they're actually supposed to be releasing the next generation after NV30 at the moment - since NVIDIA works with two completely seperate design teams, I would suspect that their other design team is actually finalizing something as we speak. They are, after all, almost an entire product cycle off of schedule.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they pulled something out of a hat in the next two or three months, much like ATI did with the 9700.