Warning to Canadian January Giveaway Winners!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greez

Warning to Canadian January Giveaway Winners!

Post by Greez » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:25 pm

I am a Canadian who was the lucky recipient of a Thermalright SK7 heatsink, which arrived today. I was very pleased to get this excellent prize, until I found out that this "free" prize cost me a total of $23.14 CDN! I didn't know that the prize was going to be shipped from the United States by UPS. If I had known, I would have warned my father (who accepted the shipment) to refuse the shipment unless they waived the brokerage fee. UPS charged PST ($2.92), GST ($2.56), a brokerage fee for collecting the GST ($16.50), and GST on the brokerage fee ($1.16)! This really ticks me off because FedEx would not have charged a brokerage fee. When I called UPS to complain, they said that FedEX is part of Canada Customs, so they can bypass normal procedures. If you are Canadian, never order anything from the US if it will be delivered by UPS, unless you enjoy being ripped off.

In any case, winners be warned! I have read elsewhere that if you refuse the shipment, UPS will usually waive the brokerage fee. It's worth a try. I could have simply bought a similar heatsink for a bit more than UPS's fee.

-Greez

Asmordean

Post by Asmordean » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:36 pm

UPS sucks. Plain and simple.

UPS is also wrong about FedEx.

FedEx builds the brokerage fees into the shipping price. They know how much it will be because they are their own broker clearing house.

UPS, on the otherhand does it different. They choose to advertise shipping prices without this fee. That is why they are $10 to $25 cheaper than FedEx at first glance. Then UPS comes along and charges you for brokerage fees from a brokerage that, like FedEx, they happen to own.

If you are getting anything from the US. Get it via US Postal Service. They don't pay brokerage at all so neither do you. I have also had luck with DHL, but they are a bit expensive.

I personally refuse to shop at any store that will only send via UPS. I've gotten screwed twice by them.*

As for GST, you are screwed. There is no way to send an item from the US to Canada that is new without paying GST. Doesn't matter if you won it, or got it as a gift. To get around it, you have to mark the item used and a gift. This usually works unless the item gets inspected. Then you have to pay another $5 for the inspection and the GST on the item if they feel it is really new.

I got sent a used HDD worth about $100 CDN a few years back via USPS/Canada Post. Even though it was used and a gift, I still had to pay $7.00 to get it. I could dispute the claim with Customs but that involved a lot of paperwork. Not worth $7.00.

*Bought a "slotket" years back from the US for $17US. The shipping was $8 via UPS. UPS charged me $28 for brokerage and $2 in GST. I told them that I wouldn't pay it and just send it back. They told me that no matter what happened, I would have to pay the brokerage fee. That was the last time I used UPS. Paid over $50 for a $25CDN item.

Tore

Post by Tore » Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:23 am

I got a package from USA by UPS yesterday. They didn't ask for any money. So it looks like I got it without paying the import duty :D

pjp

Post by pjp » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:54 am

I've done some shipping work. I much prefer FedEx over UPS, but the cost is difficult to justify for everything. Shipping companies give discounts based on volume, so there can be a compelling reason for a business to go with one shipper. Personally, I'd offer at least FedEx if a customer wanted to pay the costs.

I've used them much less, but I've had no problems with DHL (need anything from Afghanistan?) or Airborne Express. For some reason, Airborne couriers seem to be unkempt.

When I ordered my monitor, it went FedEx.

If you're getting new stuff from friends, perhaps opening the product before packing it might work for the used/gift part.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:01 pm

The large brokerage fee is only on UPS Ground.

For large, high value items, UPS ground is competitive with Aiborne and DHL on a total cost basis.

Probably the best to Canada is Fedex International Economy. It is a little expensive, but the tracking is very good. I use this for small, high dollar shipments where possible.

USPS Global Express International can be a little less expesive, but the tracking isn't as good. I think they use Purolator on the Canadian end, so the fees/tax can be paid on PBBGL's website.

As for USPS Ground, If you want to sit around for six weeks to see if it comes, and accept the risk if it doesn't, to save $10, you are welcome to it.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:40 am

I have got $50 bills (the pay-up-now-or-die kind) in the mail from UPS for brokerage fees too. They have never ever ever been paid. Screw them. When I get something shipped to me, UPS can either charge me an extra $10 (still more than it's worth) on the price up front, or they can go to hell. :evil: $50 is insane, way too much. Funny thing is that they mail-spam you a few months asking (no, demanding) for a graft that they really don't deserve, then finally shut up when they realise it's better to cut thier losses. I think they take the approach that if they ask not-so-nicely, they will often get $50 from the willing, and it costs them little to ask. I can see the drawback of ignoring them into oblivion if you are a business that needs to deal with them, and holds an account, but as a private individual I still seem to get my parcels next time around.

I have always had the very best luck with Fedex though. Even a $4500 survey depth sounder coming in from Austrailia was nearly overnight and cheeep. They have never given me a single hassle.

Now the question is, I got my prize Seasonic400w via UPS. Will I get the $50 extorsion, or did poor Seasonic take it in the end? (pun intended)