Computer beeps when booting

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Computer beeps when booting

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:31 pm

I know that the number of beeps when a computer boots mean different things, i just need a link or simply list what the number of beeps mean. Like 1 beep is ram error, 2 beeps ect. ect. Im trying to fix my bros computer and im pretty sure that the harddrive is dying/dead. It says windows xp wasnt shutdown correctly blah blah, and no matter what you select it reboots the computer and starts all over. I got into the bios once but now I dont seem to be able to get back in again.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:12 pm

ok i stripped it down to just the power supply, mobo, and processor and now I get three long beeps. Its a dell and I dont see the bios chip on the mobo so im not sure what kind they use. anyone with a dell know what kind of bios they use?

L4177312

Post by L4177312 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:43 pm

if the harddrive was dead you still should be able to get into the bios. even if i unplug my harddrive i would still be able to reach it. but if you really think its the hd, i would try taking out the suspected drive and run a scandisk or norton disk doctor on it from another computer.

anyways.. i found a site that has links to the dell beeps codes http://www.thecomputersociety.com/Colum ... eslist.htm

they all link to different pages and have different info for differnt models.

btw.. when you stripped it.. did you also take out the memory and videocard? leaving those out would cause beeps or not being able to get into the bios.

EDIT: found this on dells knowladge base

1 Short beep - System is operating normally.
1 Long beep - Memory refresh circuitry has failed which indicates a problem with the motherboard. Try reseating the memory DIMM or SIMM modules. Make sure if you have added memory that it is rated at the correct speed for the system.
1 Long 2 Short beeps - The video adapter has failed, or the video memory is having a read/write failure. Try reseating the video card. If the video card is a PCI video card, try moving it to another slot.
1 Long 3 Short beeps - The system does not detect a monitor. Verify that the monitor cable is properly attached to the video card or the onboard video and to the monitor (if the monitor has a detachable cable). If possible, try another monitor on the system to verify that the video adapter is operating properly.
2 or 3 beeps - There is a problem with the system’s memory. Reseat the memory DIMM or SIMM modules.
4 beeps - This indicates a non-functional timer. This indicates a problem with the motherboard.
5 beeps - This indicates a CPU (Central Processing Unit or processor) failure. Try reseating the processor.
6 beeps - This indicates a keyboard controller failure. Try reseating the keyboard connector.
7 beeps - Another indication of a processor problem. Reseat the processor.
8 beeps - This indicates a video memory read/write failure. Reseat the video card (if any) and memory DIMM or SIMM modules.
9 or 10 beeps - This indicates a ROM (Read-Only Memory) checksum error or shutdown register failure. This indicates a defective BIOS chip(s). Reseat the BIOS chips.
11 beeps - Indicates an error in the cache memory. If the system has a Pentium class processor, reseat the processor. If the system has a cache memory module, try reseating it. These beep codes will vary depending on the system.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:14 pm

ok ive got it back to how it was before now. Now it gets to the select mode screen and if you choose normal it starts loading windows xp but it never actually gets through, it just restarts while xp is loading. It flashes a blue screen but its wayyyy too fast to read it. I cant get into the bios on this thing either, is it just hold delete? I got into it once by hitting clt alt del a bunch of times. Maybe there is a way in the bios to stop at the blue screen so i can read it?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:37 pm

AHHH if I could only read that blue screen before it autoreboots itself.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:51 pm

if anyone knows how to turn off auto reboot outside of windows please help, can it be turned off in the bios?

Tore

Post by Tore » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:03 pm

The receptionist at work had a problem that sounds a lot like what you describe, but I think it only beeped once when starting up. It was a dell however, and it ended in a quick bluescreen before rebooting. They changed the motherboard, and it worked again. I wasn't there when the repairman was there, so I can't give you any first hand info.

You can try to boot from a boot floppy disc and see what happens. The receptionist's PC got the bluescreen and rebooted then as well.

It might be Del or F2 or something else to get into the BIOS, but I would guess it is Ctrl+Alt+Enter on your brothers computer.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:34 am

its hold delete, i figured it out. I messed with the bios all last night and couldnt get it to work. How do you make a floppy boot disk in xp? I havent used it that much. Is it okay to make one from this other dell I have working and then use it on the broken one?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:19 pm

To me it still might be a software error, have you tried reinstalling windows XP from the origianl or recovery CD. Boot from CD and try it..

Blue screen reboots are not that uncommon I have had experiences of them too, windows XP will give you a blue screen and reboot to ensure nothing else is damaged There is obviously a fatal error causing windows not to boot up. Either a problem with the physical hardware or it could be just corrupted files in your operating system. So boot from the original CD or recovery CD. Make sure your first boot device is the optical drive, you may need to change it in the bios if it's the case. Insert the CD and hit a key when it ask you to boot from the CD. Follow the instructions and hopefully all is okay.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:32 pm

yea that was gonna be the last thing i tried though, cause he will lose all his data. But actually it is pretty damn likely that its just a software problem because my brother is always breaking his computer and expecting me to fix it. I guess there is nothing left to do except reformat now.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:44 pm

You may not have to reformat just yet! When you boot from the XP CD you get the chance to do a recovery. This may sort out your problems so atleast you can back up the work you need first.

If I remember correctly you can also try pressing f5 or f8, can't remember which as soon as it boots. This will give you a screen to choose more options such as booting normally, or booting in safe mode or last known good configuration etc.. Try it I can't remember exactly but you get the gist of it. This way you can also back up your data first..

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:12 pm

Ive tryed that, it wont boot at all, safe mode, safe mode with prompt, normal mode, none of them work. It says loading windows xp and then shows the windows xp splash screen and then it flashes a blue screen and immeditaly reboots itself. Ill try booting from the xp cd later though

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:01 pm

Time to rule out faulty ram. Run memtest: http://www.memtest86.com

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:16 am

ok ill try that in a second. I tried to boot from the xp cd, and it said push any key to begin and it showed a few dots (like it was loading) and then it just stoped and froze up. I also noticed that the hard drive has what appears to a small scorch mark on the bottom on the little circle thing in the middle of the drive. It might be dark colored sauder of some kind but it really looks like a scorch mark.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:52 pm

Man!! That does not sound good, if it does not even boot from the CD your problem is more likely to be the hardware that has failed. Since it is your brothers computer, check component by component by putting it into your computer and see where the fault lies.

Start with the suspicious hard disk. :?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:38 pm

i already tried removing everything. The only possible conclusion is either a faulty mobo or hardrive. Neither is completely burned up as they both still work (sort of) but aparently something is wrong with one of them.