PS3 interesting design

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

PS3 interesting design

Post by Mariner » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 am

Slightly OT: Not about PCs per se, but still of interest to some I'm sure.

As I'm sure many are aware, the new Sony Playstation 3 has just been released in Japan. Despite housing a couple of very hot chips in a small-ish enclosure, the PS3 reportedly runs practically inaudibly.

Quite a few Japanese web sites have dismantled PS3s for a look inside and the following Beyond3D thread contains links to many of these:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35549

Lots of pictures in there of the bespoke heatsink/cooling combo inside the console. Here's the URL of an example image:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NE ... 7/fan2.jpg

There are also heatpipes used on the motherboard and the single 150mm ( :!: ) fan cools the lot.

Quite interesting what the engineers can come up with when future expansion of a system is not a relevant factor. :)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:34 am

Thanks for that, very interesting find :)

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:02 pm

Very interesting. I'd be interested in seeing one of them up close and personal. What's quiet to one person would be a racket to MikeC. ;)

I have my PS2 in my entertainment center, behind closed doors because of the fan. I've got wireless controllers, so I don't have to worry about cables either... ;)

preti9cboi

Post by preti9cboi » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:31 am

I played the ps3 at my friends place and it is silent, almost as if it had no fans at all compared to the xbox 360.