Nexus Power Supply Ad

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frodo

Nexus Power Supply Ad

Post by frodo » Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:06 am

Hey Mike,

Maybe it's just me, but when I see the ad for the NX-3000 at the top of the page and it says > > 22 dB(A), the first thing that pops into my head is "Whay are they advertising that it is GREATER THAN 22 dB(A)????" Then I realized that someone in marketing at Nexus probably doesn't know that > means greater than.

Like I said, maybe it's just me, but chances are if I'm thinking it other people are too. Perhaps you want to tell your contact at Nexus that they should change their ad to use some other symbols.

My two cents.

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

Nexus Power Supply Ad

Post by johnc » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:41 am

I think this is probably just an unfortunate choice of arrow type.

The use of two consecutive "greater than" symbols is sometimes encountered in scientific writing (meaning A LOT greater than), but I have always thought this was an informal usage.

The idea that >> was meant as a stylized arrow, not as a logical symbol, is supported by its use in the second line, "excellent airflow". Although it is possible that Nexus wanted to convey the idea that this was "much greater than excellent airflow", most users would probably consider "excellent airflow" to be satisfactory. How often does one find fault with "excellent"? It seems more likely that >> was just an easy way of making an arrow, trying to direct the reader's eye to "look at this".

But your point that ambiguity should be avoided whenever possible is a lesson to us all.

John Coyle

slippy

Post by slippy » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:52 am

it's ok

all the real quiet junkies will have been to this site and read mike's review

unfortunate for the other consumers though :lol: