Uberconductivity with new material/tech

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

s_xero

Uberconductivity with new material/tech

Post by s_xero » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:13 am

Check this out:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... X1K0000532

That is f**king promising...but shit - what the hell better than diamond :shock:

Well actually some revolution is going on. Still sweet years to come :D
Last edited by s_xero on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

sareiodata

Post by sareiodata » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:43 am

At its core, IsoSkin heat spreader technology uses what's known as a planar capillary. This planar capillary provides the necessary amount of liquid (usually water) to handle power densities of up to hundreds of watts per square centimeter
I think this is some kind of heat pump...or an array of heat pumps...That would explain the high heat dissipation. You could create entire cases with this material instead of paint and cool the components completely passive. That would be sweet!
IsoSkin's planar capillary is engineered for liquid transport, which act as both a transportation medium and as a heat transfer structure.

"Basically, [the planar capillary] is a hollow vessel," said Thomas. "It's actually two thin sheets with space inside…a flat sheet, but with small holes in it."

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:47 am

Nothing new, it's just a glorified flat heatpipe. It might be useful for thin laptops, where space is scarce.
I'd like to see available on the market flexible heatpipes going from the CPU and GPU to heatsinks attached to the case fans.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:59 am

Definatly intresting :)

Buddabing

Post by Buddabing » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 am

Interesting, a very large, very flat heatpipe. I guess this would be mounted on the outside of the case, on the side that doesn't open up.

The problem would be how to connect the heatpipe to the sources of heat (CPU+GPU). IIRC heatpipes have to be rigid in order to hold the vacuum inside them. So I don't see how this would work unless you had a custom-engineered solution with case, motherboard, graphics card, and heatpipes all included. Great for a laptop I suppose.

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:30 am

I'm surprised they didn't mention nanotechnology at least once...

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:30 am

lol - that's indeed pretty weird.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:40 pm

It would be possible to have a high heat transfer motherboard tray that matches up to a certain layout/format of the mobo. Such a setup could allow a heatpipe set to move heat from the CPU,Chipset,GPU to a common
heatsink-heat exchanger efficient enough to be fanless. A case would have a mesh type backing so that heat is able to radiate easily. With chips now at 65nm,and shrinking before long to 45nm,we could see the end of case fans for mainstream puters.

There are potential new technologies for HDD's with few moving parts,which can eliminate noise + heat.

Kremmit

Post by Kremmit » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 pm

Buddabing wrote:Interesting, a very large, very flat heatpipe. I guess this would be mounted on the outside of the case, on the side that doesn't open up.

The problem would be how to connect the heatpipe to the sources of heat (CPU+GPU). IIRC heatpipes have to be rigid in order to hold the vacuum inside them. So I don't see how this would work unless you had a custom-engineered solution with case, motherboard, graphics card, and heatpipes all included. Great for a laptop I suppose.
Hey, Buddabing! There's a name I've seen before.