Install of Zalman VGA Heatsink on Microstar Ti4200?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

michaelr

Install of Zalman VGA Heatsink on Microstar Ti4200?

Post by michaelr » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:01 pm

I couldn't resist and shelled out the $80 for a Ti4200-64MB at Best Buy. I have lived with noiseless VGA cards thus far and would like some input if the card can be used with the Zalman VGA heatpipe/sink.

The card is labeled as a BFG Asylum but the one I actually got looks very much like this one except that mine is blue.

Pictures of the card are here:
http://www.bench-house.com/vidito.php?o ... m22=+Go%21+

The Zalman is here:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/zm80a-hp.htm

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:51 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. Just double check that you've got room in the case for the Zalman. It'll take up a PCI slot, and some people have had trouble with the heatpipe hitting their RAM. I've got an HP-80 on my 9700 and it works perfectly. The install is kinda complex, but I actually enjoyed it. The directions are good, and it sorta reminded me of the days of youth spent putting model cars together. :lol:

michaelr

Post by michaelr » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:02 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Shouldn't be a problem. Just double check that you've got room in the case for the Zalman. It'll take up a PCI slot, and some people have had trouble with the heatpipe hitting their RAM. I've got an HP-80 on my 9700 and it works perfectly. The install is kinda complex, but I actually enjoyed it. The directions are good, and it sorta reminded me of the days of youth spent putting model cars together. :lol:
How many hours did it take you? I am a klutz when it comes to fine motoric skills...but the path is the destiny so I will give it shot. What's the worst that can happen? I am not so worried about installing the heatsink but more so about removing the old one.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:22 pm

It took maybe an hour or so. The important thing is to just take your time and read the directions.

As for removing the old heatsink it doesn't look that bad. Even though that thing is huge, from the pics it looks like it's just held on by 2 pushpins. Just pinch the backsides of them and they should pop out. Remember too that the current HS probably has a thermal pad sticking it to the GPU, so alittle twisting may be needed to separate them.

Aside from frying your brand new graphics card, nothing bad could happen at all :lol:

RaffeS

Post by RaffeS » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:42 pm

I got a zalman heatsink-cooler on my creative Geforce4 ti4200. works perfect.
it's kind of hard to install it, but once it's done, the heatsink works fine!

michaelr

Post by michaelr » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:12 pm

RaffeS wrote:I got a zalman heatsink-cooler on my creative Geforce4 ti4200. works perfect.
it's kind of hard to install it, but once it's done, the heatsink works fine!
Installed the Zalman today. Took a little over an hour and works like a charm. Overall case/cpu temperature is a few degrees higher but nothing to write home about. Ran 3dMark 2001 for the last couple of hours along with a CPU burn in test, no problems yet.