Silent(?) Ion fan

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BillTodd

Silent(?) Ion fan

Post by BillTodd » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:34 am

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:33 am

:shock: :shock: :o :P

The author doesn't mention whether this thing makes any noise, and/or if it makes ozone?

Edit: Actually, the author does say in the last paragraph that it is quiet/silent:
This is a fun and easy project to experiment with this technology. We have had recently a company express interest in this technology for use in their product line. After talking with them at length about its strengths and weaknesses they decided that it wasn’t where they wanted to go as it didn’t target the gamer market. Silent pc accessories and components are gaining more and more promise and interest in the market. People are sick and tired of listening to their system fans humming. Threes [sic] a good market out there for anyone looking to work with quiet products and worst case we can always make our own!
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:37 am

8.5 out of 10 on the "geek factor" scale seems reasonable to me, but I think I will stick with my inaudiable system without all of the risks of DIY and voltages that can kill.

If a reputable company came out with something decent that had very minor risks or none at all I would consider buying it, but as a hardcore SPCRer my system wouldnt benefit at all.

Andy

BillTodd

Post by BillTodd » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:23 am

NeilBlanchard wrote::shock: :shock: :o :P

The author doesn't mention whether this thing makes any noise, and/or if it makes ozone?
Well, it will be devoid of mechanical noise and vibration. The only noise it should produce is from turbulence, the author doesn't state any estimate of flow rate, but I guess it would only be modest (on a par with that produced by convection I suppose).

Ozone production is likely, probably dependent on the voltage used.

Solid Snake

Post by Solid Snake » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:21 pm

Considering that ozone is about 100x as poisonous as carbon monoxide and can cause nausea and vomiting even in small quantities, I think I'll pass. :twisted:

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Solid Snake wrote:Considering that ozone is about 100x as poisonous as carbon monoxide and can cause nausea and vomiting even in small quantities, I think I'll pass. :twisted:
it also breaks down in a few seconds of being produced. hence why ozone generating ionic breeze air filters are fairly common.