List of noise creating components in a computer

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tyeh26

List of noise creating components in a computer

Post by tyeh26 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:04 pm

there's a small list in the FAQs thought we could expand on it and make a more thorough list.
I've made a small list of computer parts, and what noises they emit

Case (noises are caused by other components)
Resonance
Rattles from loose parts (IE loose PCI covers)
expansion/contraction of metals due to heat
turbulence of restrictive fan grills
Motherboard
coil whine
CPU
the cooler that cools the CPU (see fans)
PSU
See fans
coil whine
GPU
See fans
coil whine
HDD
seek noise of HD head
idle noise of motor
ODD
similar to HDD
Fans
noise of motor
turbulence of the air
vibrations
random intermittent noises (clicking/scratching noises)
Misc
some PWM fan controllers make noise

anything with physical moving parts has the possibility to make noise due to friction.

I'm trying to compile this complete list to help me figure out if i'm missing anything from figure out what's making that dreadful (quiet) noise in my computer that persists after i turn off all my fans. it's not as high pitch as a coil whine, and i can compare it to my 8800gt's whine, and they're different.

anyways feel free to add/subtract to this list, I'll edit it as this thread goes on.
Last edited by tyeh26 on Mon May 19, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sun May 18, 2008 7:19 pm

The powersupply also creates some noise even without a fan. My HX520 makes a low droning noise even with a 0rpm fan on it. I'm actually thinking of switching it for the enermax modu series but apparently those have this issue as well. Currently the loudest thing in my computer. If you really want to get complete with the list, you can include the noise your case or other metal components makes when it expands or contracts due to fluctuating temps... ie. shortly after power off/on.

Immortals
Friend of SPCR

Post by Immortals » Sun May 18, 2008 7:24 pm

widowmaker wrote:The powersupply also creates some noise even without a fan. My HX520 makes a low droning noise even with a 0rpm fan on it. I'm actually thinking of switching it for the enermax modu series but apparently those have this issue as well. Currently the loudest thing in my computer.
Agreed. I have a seasonic s12 430 with fan modded 500rpm. The low hum can be heard over that. Is that noise even louder than your hard disk? What Hard disk are you using?

Monitors (especially bigger ones) make a buzz

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sun May 18, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm using a 2.5 inch WD 160gb drive suspended with bungee cords.

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:19 pm

alright, i've included the case expansion/contraction due to heat issue.

As for the PSU issue, i'm going to assume it is coil whine unless some people with better knowledge of PSUs can attribute this noise to elsewhere.

As for monitors, i'm not going to include there, becuase then there are other issues to take into account like speakers/static noise and maybe even keyboard and mice and such, unless there are a lot of people who express interest in including these factors.

scdr

Post by scdr » Mon May 19, 2008 8:27 am

I was going to suggest adding coil whine for modems as well,
but I am not sure if it applies to internal modems, or just to external ones. (Like the USR Courier that is annoying me as I type this :-( ).
Since you are only dealing with parts inside the box, not sure if you want to include or not.

(Oh yes also - floppy drive, similar to ODD).

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 19, 2008 8:49 am

Hello,

For the case, you need to include noise from air passing through the grills, and whether or not the noise from inside the case has a straight path out or not -- this is especially important in the front.

I should also point out that all the "case noises" are really reactions to other components.

You can also refer to this sticky:

viewtopic.php?t=4094

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 pm

scdr:
anything with coils can exhibit coil whine i guess. So this can be add-on cards or the motherboard.

nei:
i'll add the air passing through grills issue, and as for the case noises, true, but when identifying the issue at hand, it is good to know that the noise is coming from the noise. i'll add it to the list as a note . but if the case is making noise, it some times might be wise to replace than the case instead of the item causing the vibrations or what not.

as for the sticky, i was hoping we could make a much thorough list than what's on the FAQ. The FAQ doesn't touch on all components in the case, or the case itself.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue May 20, 2008 1:37 am

as for the sticky, i was hoping we could make a much thorough list than what's on the FAQ. The FAQ doesn't touch on all components in the case, or the case itself.
currently, most computers are full of moving parts. anything that can move, can make a noise. so in fact a shorter list would be components in a PC that don't make noise. the real essential skill is narrowing down which particuler components are making noise in a specific build, so you don't waste money replacing parts that weren't actually part of the problem. I don't see how this list will help people do that.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue May 20, 2008 6:30 am

Immortals wrote:Monitors (especially bigger ones) make a buzz
Not all, but some do, and its not just large monitors, all monitors have the possibility of this happening.

I have a 19" samsung and a 23" widescreen viewsonic, neither of them make any buzz whatsoever.
jaganath wrote: I don't see how this list will help people do that.
I agree. I dont see how the list will help anyone. Just listen for what makes an annoying sound for your specific situation, and remedy it. Any computer component can create noise through coils, and any moving part does produce some amount of noise. Any loose connections in conjunction with moving parts creating vibrations will further increase noise. So in reality, EVERYTHING in a computer case CAN create noise. But that doesnt neccissarily mean it is in your specific situation.