Recommended software for making reviews & regulate fans

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

javitxi

Recommended software for making reviews & regulate fans

Post by javitxi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi!

In one hand I wanted to review Noctua NH-C12P, or at least make it some trials to tune up my pc as I've commented on this thread on my 3rd post.

So, I've searched and I've found Core Temp 0.99.3, OOCT 3.0.0 RC1 and SpeedFan 4.37. Which of these ones should I use and how may I use it/them? Any other better/complementary software? (and also, how to use it?) Unfortunately, I haven't got Crysis or one of the latest videogames for Pc, but I've planned to test with Godfather at 1600x1080 at top quality meanwhile OOCT is running. So lately, I've planned to search for it

On the other hand, I want to know how can I regulate a 3pin fan by voltage (apart of using ULNA and LNA), the Noctua given in the Noctua NH-C12P (and also in a future x2 S-Flex), with my motherboard, an Asus P5Q-E via software or via changing paremeters on BIOS or by updating BIOS. Also, if anyone could lend me the electrical schematic of a 3 pin fan in order to put a potenciometer between the motherboard and the fan I would be pleased ^^

Thanks for you replies & suggestions & feedback

Javier :)

floffe

Post by floffe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:53 am

For the pinout on a 3-pin fan header, the center pin should provide 12V while the black wire is ground.

javitxi

Post by javitxi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:18 am

floffe wrote:For the pinout on a 3-pin fan header, the center pin should provide 12V while the black wire is ground.
Thanks, but on the schematic is said:

ATX Fan Connector Pinout Pin # Signal Function Cable
1 GND Black
2 +12VDC Yellow
3 Sensor Yellow

so, as you said, the +12V DC might be the red one. I've checked it with ULNA and LNA, because it has a resistance on the red wire, so V = I · R, more Resistance, less electric flow

But, there is something not very clear to me: if you have a wire where you give the electronic flow to the fan and the Earth /GND wire in order to make this flow to move (obviously :P), for what usage is the yellow wire that it is said to be 'sensor'? Sensor of what, for what and how? Because, as I've read on the internet, the fans that had 4 pins have the same but for the extra wire for which you can control de rpms of the fan instead of controlling the input voltage of the fan

Anyway, if anyone have any idea on how I could regulate the fans with the Asus P5Q-E or with another motherboard, please post over here :D

Javier :)

floffe

Post by floffe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:22 am

The sensor wire is for an RPM sensor that sends info on how fast the fan is spinning (that will end up in the mobo monitoring section of BIOS or an app like Speedfan).