NMB Blower

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PhilgB

NMB Blower

Post by PhilgB » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:35 pm

At work I poped open a Dell GX260 to find out how they cool those things and saw an NMB BG0903-B044-VTL fan on it. It seems perfect for a CPU if you plan on ducting because the air is pulled at 90. Just want to confirm the db though. I assume they measure from much closer because the one I heard at work was almost silent.

http://www.eminebea.com/content/pdf/TMP ... bg0903.pdf

Any thoughts?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:04 pm

In those Dells, the NMB is thermally controlled and gets noticably louder when the PC is under load. I have the GX260 at work (also discussed in this thread: Dell Optiplex: comparing cases?) and when the CPU is loaded (ie folding, etc) I can easily hear the fan. Perhaps if you can keep the system cool and under light use, this model fan would be a help in ducting, but it seems like there are other/better options.

Also, there is a chance that the NMB seemed quiet at work due to extra ambient noise that would not be present in other (ie home) environments.

Nice to see you popping cases open to do a little research. :)

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:56 am

There is a model that is not thermally controlled. This fan could be undervolted and with a better heatsink might do quite well.

Has anyone seen where it could be ordered online? (preferably in Canada?)

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:22 pm

I picked one of these up from Above All Electronics in Toronto.... now when I plug the red and white leads into 12v power, the fan starts up at full speed but then really quickly slows down to a pretty slow, and quiet, speed. Plugging the white thermistor lead into either ground or +12v does nothing.

Any suggestions on how this fan is supposed to be wired up?

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:34 pm

Well good job on reviving a really old thread :D

Did you try placing the thermistor near different temperatures to see if there is a change?

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:27 pm

;)

Nope, no change at all in fan speed when I huffed hot air into the fan. That's as scientific as I got anyhow.

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:59 pm

Anybody got any ideas as to how I can get the blower running @ full speed all the time?

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:07 pm

Is there RPM monitoring? I think it might need more heat than your breath to spin faster. Maybe a hair blowdryer.. but without RPM, you might not notice a difference.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:27 pm

examine the thermistor lead carefully - see if it's not actually two wires in a single cable? If so, I've heard some folks have had luck cutting off the end and shorting the wires together.

Alternatively, try heating the end of the thermistor cable w/ a match or other high temp source, see if that makes it speed up?

Gooserider

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:26 am

After playing around with it more, the thermistor indeed controls the blowers speed. I put a hairdryer on high heat low speed and it got the blower moving :D

I would assume the white line is a fan RPM monitor, but I didn't bother testing that part. Now all I need is a way to rig this up so it cools off my Zalman CNPS6000alcu :)