In Pursuit of Silence

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

In Pursuit of Silence

Post by Devonavar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello SPCR! I'm logging in for the first time in years just to share a movie I saw last night.

Patrick Shen's documentary In Pursuit of Silence is excellent. It's a look at the philosophical nature of silence — the same goal we are all pursuing at SPCR.

When I joined SPCR 12 years ago, it was at the forefront of dealing with unwanted noise in the tech industry, and Mike Chin spent untold hours thinking and talking about the nature of silence and why it is important from a health and livability perspective. There are several core SPCR articles that talk about the benefits goals of pursuing silence.

In Pursuit of Silence is an in-depth look at why silence and noise are important philosophically, and it places silence in a historical and social context. I've always believed that silence is important in a human sense, and this movie is a beautiful look at why that is.

On a secondary, but perhaps more useful note, the movie also introduced me to an organization that shares many of SPCR's goals: QuietMark is a UK-based organization that does recommendations and certifications of "quiet" consumer goods, similar to the way EnergyGuide does certifications of energy efficient appliances. They are operated by the wonderfully named "Noise Abatement Society", a charity dedicated to reducing unwanted noise.

At the moment, the movie is still in its theatrical / festival run, so it's a bit hard to find at the moment, but the DVD release is supposed to be mid-August, so keep an eye out for it. And, if you happen to get a chance to see it, post your thoughts here!

Devonavar

Nice Marmot

Re: In Pursuit of Silence

Post by Nice Marmot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:09 am

Should have held off four more days, have a nice even year between front page updates.

Cynical

Post by Cynical » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Welcome back Mike!

i shall look out for that documentary.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Third!