Need suggestions about case and cooling system

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

slashdotcomma

Need suggestions about case and cooling system

Post by slashdotcomma » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:46 am

Dear SPCR Forum members;

I'm planning on building a new computer, and now that dad's given me a slightly bigger budget to work with, I would like to water cool. The problem is dad and I want to move the case around a lot (especially lan parties). He , however, will sometimes use it at work, and prefers silent computers (he's trying to convince me to buy a DELL). I'm thinking about using the Lian-Li 6077 since it seems like a really easy case to install a permanent non-moving water cooling system in the case. I don't really have many tools, so please keep modding suggestions to a minimum, changing fans are okay. Any suggestions on the water cooling system though? Many of the systems I've seen have parts sticking out, and I'm hoping to keep everything within the case. The other two cases I've been thinking about are the Antec P160 and the Cooler Master Praetorian Mid-Tower. Any comments? Please help, dad wants to order all the parts by thanksgiving. Thanks in advance!

computer specs currently:
400 watt SilenX PSU
Intel P4 (2.8GHz OR 3.0Ghz 512KB L2 Cache, 800Mhz FSB, PGA478)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Internal Sound Card Retail
All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro 8X AGP 128MB DDR w/ TV-Out & DVI
Plextor INT DVD+/-R/RW 8X/4X/12X DVD WRITE/DVD RE-WRITE/DVD READ
Samsung SM-352B 52x/24x/52x/16x (Internal, EIDE)
Kingston HyperX KHX3500K2/1G 1GB Kit DDR434 PC3500 Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail
SONY 1.44MB Floppy Disk OEM
2xBarracuda 7200.7 120GB (Serial ATA, ATA/150, 7200 RPM) + 1x120gb WD pata drive from previous computer
Arctic Silver Ceramique

Debating on:
MSI Neo-FIS2R
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
*Abit IC7-G

P.S.
I'm open to suggestions on the rest of the computer.
I know that the 7200.7 has problems, but I haven't found anyother drive with really good performance and low sound level

riffola

Post by riffola » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:45 pm

The new Hitachi Deskstar SATA and Samsung SATA drives are said to be fairly quiet drives.

The ASUS P4C800 Deluxe-E motherboard is in my opinion the best of the three in your list, based on what I've seen and read on SPCR and ABXZone. I am getting it for my forthcoming PC.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:51 pm

slashdotcomma:
I would like to water cool. The problem is dad and I want to move the case around a lot (especially lan parties). He , however, will sometimes use it at work, and prefers silent computers
I hate to be a joy-killer, but I think this is the time to do it, before you waste any money.

This looks like you plan on moving the computer around quite a bit.
For a box that you move around a lot you want it small, light, sturdy and preferably with everything light and well attached inside.
Having a box that is fast, silent, watercooled etc is things pointing in a compleatly different direction.
From your note I also guess that this is the first box you will build with watercooling.
If you try to combine all this is one box (especially a midi-tower) you will have loads of problems to solve. For someone who write "I don't really have many tools" I would strongly advice against even trying.

Watercooling is great to get massive overclocking and a rather good alternative for a silent very stationary box assuming you like some DIY stuff. I hate to say it, but your system does not seem to fit any of this criteria.

Perhaps you should consider 2 boxes as many here have done. One that is really silent, fairly low power box and one gaming rig that is a bit noisier.
Or just live with a little extra noise, or go with the new Zalman box (~$1200) for box+psu only.

I hope you read this far and do have a discussion with your dad before you make up your mind on what to buy.

slashdotcomma

I have to agree with you there

Post by slashdotcomma » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:34 pm

Thanks silvervarg. I've been thinking about the water problems and was beginning to doubt myself. I still like the idea and performance of water cooling, but the problem with leakage scares me. I really like the Zalman 7000(al)cu but the fact that I'll move the box around makes me wonder if the intel retention bracket is strong enough. The only thing that comes close in performance that I've seen/read are the Thermalrights, especially the 947u w/ a panaflo L or similar fan. Oh, and size really won't matter, I'm strong enough :wink: . Any comments? So which case is cooler and which case is the quietest w/ for example all panaflo L's?

slashdotcomma

How's the rest?

Post by slashdotcomma » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:43 pm

Is 400 watts enough? Is artic silver 5 better than the Ceramique? or is the Ceramique good enough?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: How's the rest?

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:09 am

slashdotcomma wrote:Is 400 watts enough? Is artic silver 5 better than the Ceramique? or is the Ceramique good enough?
400W is more than enough.

AS5 v.s Ceramique is about a toss-up. Ceramique is easier to apply/cleanup. If you believe the few early reports, AS5 cools a degree or two more than Ceramique. You decide.

MoBo: DON'T go with the MSI. They're a big step below the Asus or Abit boards in stability and quality control. I'd pick the Asus for it's speed, stability and fanless NB.

slashdotcomma

Thanks for the suggestions...

Post by slashdotcomma » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:39 pm

Alright, I think I will go for asus mobo, but now I'm debating on the case. I wish someone would do a complete review on the p160, but I haven't read any reviews on how quiet vrs. cool over the Cooler master and Lian-Li cases. Only that they have good airflow and lots of room. Thanks for all the responses!

Seal

Post by Seal » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:41 pm

silvervarg wrote:Watercooling is great to get massive overclocking and a rather good alternative for a silent very stationary box assuming you like some DIY stuff. I hate to say it, but your system does not seem to fit any of this criteria.
I watercool for silence more than anything else although you get such good temperatures with it, it allows you to overclock as well ;)

Seal

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:52 pm

Seal will forever be the #1 advocate for watercooling in these forums :)

But, /.,, given that you and your dad both have to use it a lot (and move it around a lot) I don't think a watercooling solution is sensible. It's possible, and probably safe enough, but you might want to think twice about it. It's a nice thing to have, but really only in a 'controlled state' - what happens if your dad drops / knocks the computer on the way to work and the rad falls over, or a hose comes out, or the cap comes off the reservoir, etc etc.

Also you have to worry about corrosion - and that's something I'm pretty sure you (or your dad) wouldn't want to be worrying about given how much you both plan to depend on it.

I like silvervargs suggestion: get 2 computers, a light, adequate one for toting around, and another one that will stay at your home, which you can watercool :) (if you have enough money left over)

Seal

Post by Seal » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:59 pm

chylld wrote:Seal will forever be the #1 advocate for watercooling in these forums :)

But, /.,, given that you and your dad both have to use it a lot (and move it around a lot) I don't think a watercooling solution is sensible. It's possible, and probably safe enough, but you might want to think twice about it. It's a nice thing to have, but really only in a 'controlled state' - what happens if your dad drops / knocks the computer on the way to work and the rad falls over, or a hose comes out, or the cap comes off the reservoir, etc etc.
ehehekekekee, ive only been here a couple of weeks but already making an impression.

Yeah you have to be quite into it if you want to consider watercooling, its quite a serious thing, dont do it if your half herted about it as its quite risky as well to start with. Also it isnt that advisable if your going to be moving the computer alot, although i do bring my computer back and forth to uni quite alot and also go to lans with mine but you always have to spend 10mins preparing it to be moved, and 10mins checking everythings where it should be once its in its new home. It can be quite a hasstle but if you really want to watercool then it wouldnt bother you.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:36 pm

Just as a minor note, Corrosion is NOT an issue in a WC system if one does just two very simple things...

1. Choose components so that you don't mix metals - I wouldn't touch a block or other part that used both copper and aluminum parts, either get ALL copper / brass parts (reccomended) or ALL Aluminum parts, don't mix copper and aluminum parts in the same system. (note, it is OK to have soldered joints in CU/brass system parts)

2. Use a coolant blend that contains anticorrosives (i.e. the "Airspirit" blend of 70% Distilled H2O, 15% Red Glycol (Dexcool), 10% Hyperlube, 5% non-Cl, non-Br hot tub sanitizer, which prevents both corrosion and biological growth problems)

Gooserider