Logitech UltraX - Nice silent keyboard

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:05 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
niels007 wrote:For more than a year now, Coolermaster also ships a notebook style (and fairly stylish) keyboard thats pretty good as well:

http://www.coolermaster.com/show_pic.ph ... 8bf907.jpg
Had it, still have it, trying to sell right now (I can sell it to you if you are in US :wink: ). IMO sooooo not worth the money coolermaster is asking for it.
I have this keyboard too. I don't use it anymore but it is fairly quiet (quieter than this Eluminx) and it was only $20 when it was first released. I think it is discontinued now.

Per Edward Ng's suggestion, I have a diNovo Wifi version coming in. I hope it's quiet!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:06 pm

I have the cooler master keyboard, and it's just now breaking... UltraX or PSK-5000 replacment, hmm...

OVI

Post by OVI » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:03 am

I just bought an Ultrax (USB-version) a couple of days ago and it really is a huge improvement over POS keytronic which I had before. I really like to type with it and its great for gaming too. Now my 8 month old daughter "types" with my old keyboard :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:48 am

Trip wrote:I have the cooler master keyboard, and it's just now breaking... UltraX or PSK-5000 replacment, hmm...
They're virtually identical. PSK5000 has USB interface, UltraX has P/S2. (although the post right above this one intimates that there is now a USB version of the UltraX available, so YMMV!)

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:20 pm

Thanks. I went with the PS/2 UltraX.

I'm a little glad this keyboard finally broke b/c I kept hitting its "Ins" key. I type w/o looking at keyboard and alternate, still w/o looking, between the mouse and keyboard. Also using the arrow keys or right Ctrl button creates the same problem. It can be really annoying.

Seal

Post by Seal » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:05 am

im abit upset :( cause i broke my ultrax.

Spilt tea on it, but it still worked althought the keys were sticky so i took all the keys off to clean but being based on laptop keys, their hinges are very delicate and i broke one - the left shift one and its made it all hideous for typing! :(. Ah well theyre cheap anyway, i think i'll buy another one cause im so pleased with this kb!

... i've never done that before, bought two of the same keyboards in a row!

Gotta love this one though, its halfed my rsi pains cause of the shorter travel in the laptop keys are much less straining. Its awesome for gaming too - the short travel means much quicker response!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:33 pm

Seal wrote:Ah well theyre cheap anyway
I hardly consider a US$25 - US$30 keyboard "cheap" but I'll admit it's worth the price. I just wish they have the "Power" key on it...

My condolences on the untimely demise of your keyboard. Can you wash it in some way less destructive than prying out the keys? Maybe sloshing it with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (while unplugged of course)?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:37 pm

But if there was a power button, I wouldn't buy it :P

I hit those dern things all of the time :x

At least the sleep button isn't easy to turn off, though it's been several years since I owned one with one of those or a power button. I might be able to disable it now.

If I could turn it off, there'd be no problem..

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:48 am

Trip wrote:But if there was a power button, I wouldn't buy it :P

I hit those dern things all of the time :x

If I could turn it off, there'd be no problem..
You could, erm, attempt to clean it. ;-)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:25 am

lenny wrote:I just wish they have the "Power" key on it...
Most BIOSes have the option to startup the system via keyboard "hot-keys"

I have my UltraX set to start my system by pressing "Ctrl + F1". Works great and I don't need no silly "power" button! :)

Seal

Post by Seal » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:33 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:

I have my UltraX set to start my system by pressing "Ctrl + F1". Works great and I don't need no silly "power" button! :)
amen brother, thats what i do. cause my box is relocated in the room next door so i dont wanna have to walk into the next room to boot up lol!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:35 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:

I have mine set up to power up using Ctrl + ESC. But it doesn't power down that way. Instead I have to press Ctrl + ESC (or Windows key), up arrow, enter, right arrow, enter. I mean, jeez, it takes me a whole 2 seconds more!!!

:-)

My main complaint is not that they don't have the Power key. Its the fact that they have all those silly "Favorites", "WWW" etc keys and don't have the Power key.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:12 am

I got the keyboard in today. It looks nice and has a full set of keys. However, it makes a louder and higher clicking noise than the cooler master did... The sound is like crunching crickets. The CM metal base does make some noise when the keys are hit hard, but the keys are very quiet.

Anyway, the CM finally died today.

Overall, I prefer the UltraX b/c it's a larger keyboard. I don't mind the crickets so much. The mouse is louder.

DG

Post by DG » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:42 pm

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:09 pm

im abit upset Sad cause i broke my ultrax.

Spilt tea on it, but it still worked althought the keys were sticky so i took all the keys off to clean but being based on laptop keys, their hinges are very delicate and i broke one - the left shift one and its made it all hideous for typing! Sad. Ah well theyre cheap anyway, i think i'll buy another one cause im so pleased with this kb!

... i've never done that before, bought two of the same keyboards in a row!
Same here - I managed to empty virtually an entire can of Coke onto (and into) mine. Within ten minutes, I had ordered another. That's how much I like it.

Update: I just bought a beautiful new Dell 1905fp to replace two noisy 17" CRTs. The UltraX is a perfect match for it (as is my MX 1000 mouse - time to stop spending). The 1905fp is driven by both my iBook G4 (dual monitor spanning) and my silenced PC tower. Switching between OSes takes about 0.8 seconds. Bliss!

PaleMelanesian

Post by PaleMelanesian » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:32 pm

If you're Folding, you don't really need a power button...

CeeSami

Post by CeeSami » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:03 pm

I bought my UltraX three days ago. I was in doubt if I'd ever get used it's laptop style buttons, but I must say I really like it now. The only problem was that I really missed the sleep button I had in my previous keyboard. If you'd know me (you don't, because this happens to be my first post), you'd know that I really don't care much about warrantys... So today I decided to tear the thing apart and build one.

The electronics aren't complicated, but the lack of space caused some trouble. Eventually, to save time, I decided to fit the button right in the upper corner of the keyboard. Now it's perfect for me!

And while at it, I swapped the leds for white ones, and of course, then I had to do the mouse too... ;)

Last edited by CeeSami on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:10 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:15 pm

CeeSami wrote:The electronics aren't complicated, but the lack of space caused some trouble. Eventually, to save time, I decided to fit the button right in the upper corner of the keyboard. Now it's perfect for me!
Cool! Can you describe how you did it or provide a link to more information please?

And welcome to SPCR Forums!

CeeSami

Post by CeeSami » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:03 pm

lenny wrote:
CeeSami wrote:The electronics aren't complicated, but the lack of space caused some trouble. Eventually, to save time, I decided to fit the button right in the upper corner of the keyboard. Now it's perfect for me!
Cool! Can you describe how you did it or provide a link to more information please?

And welcome to SPCR Forums!
Thanks, and no problem!

Basically, this one photo (although a bit blurry) explains it all. After unscrewing approximately 223 screws on the bottom (most of which are hidden beneath rubber plugs) and prying the bottom cover off, you should see the pcb.

As you can see, there are two connectors from the buttons to the pcb. The other one carries the "row" and the other is for "column" signals. The keystrokes are identified by connecting rows and columns, each one having it's unique combination.

In short, by connecting pin 1 on the left connector and pin 10 on the right connector, you get the "sleep button". If you want "power button" function, connect pins 1 and 8.

The button itself is nothing but an ordinary momentary switch I picked up at the local electronics shop, secured with double sided tape. You might want to choose the lowest profile switch available, since this keyboard doesn't offer too much space. I couldn't find a chrome knob for the switch, so I used an old transistor in metal packaging. I chopped off the legs and polished it with toothpaste.

That's about it. But remember, if you are about to do this mod, take careful measurements of everything. Otherwise, you might end up with a useless hole in the wrong place. There's a lot more space available on the left section of the keyboard, though. I just wanted the sleep button to be on the right side.
Also, the paintwork is VERY easy to scratch, I made a few marks myself...
Last edited by CeeSami on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seal

Post by Seal » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:29 pm

wow, you certainly do know your electronics dont you! good work!!!

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:20 am

Looks like the basic PSK5000/Macally Ice keyboard with assorted color schemes. If so, it's a good keyboard, almost identical to the Ultra-X but with a USB instead of PS/2 connector.

bishyb

Post by bishyb » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:13 am

CeeSami wrote:Image
lol, that mousemat is a bit small there :shock:
Last edited by bishyb on Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

CeeSami

Post by CeeSami » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:16 am

bishyb wrote: lol, that mousemat is a big small there :shock:
Yeah, but so is my desk! You try fitting a 17" crt + a soldering&desoldering station + HP Laserjet 5L + keyboard and mouse + some other smaller stuff on a 110cmx60cm (3'7"x2') desk! :) And I have to work here too! Besides, the mat is big enough for normal use, since the mouse doesn't have to travel very large distances...

That's actually the main reason I bought the UltraX, to save space. It's not as quiet as my silenced MS Internet KB, but it beats it in every other aspect, I think.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:20 pm

bishyb wrote:...It's not as quiet as my silenced MS Internet KB...
How did you silence it? Does the silencing mod work on any other keyboards?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:48 pm

CeeSami wrote:Basically, this one photo (although a bit blurry) explains it all.
Thanks for the info!

Was hoping that I could remap one of the existing keys but looking at your mod that's going to be very unlikely.

I'll probably use the space to the left, since I'm left handed.

Again, thanks for sharing the information! Now we're waiting for your keyboard silencing technique :-)

CeeSami

Post by CeeSami » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:46 am

Was hoping that I could remap one of the existing keys but looking at your mod that's going to be very unlikely.
Well, reusing one of the existing extra keys would be easier, because they sit on a separate pcb, with a ribbon cable connecting them to the main pcb. Just rewire one of the buttons and you're done. I considered it myself for a while. But I decided I didn't want a sleep button that says 'www' on it...
Again, thanks for sharing the information! Now we're waiting for your keyboard silencing technique :-)
Ok, you asked for it...

First, I must say I cannot take credit for this technique. It was introduced at a Finnish forum by a man named JoseG (yes, the same crazy guy Juha mentions in his PC noise insulation case article). I'm not sure if anyone else has been crazy enough to actually go through with it, though...

The method is simple, but very time consuming:

1. Remove all the keys
2. Put vaseline on them
3. Refit the keys

The idea is to dampen the collision between the key and the board.

The amount of grease is critical. If you put too much, the keys will stick. Too little, and there's not enough dampening. The photo shows pretty much the maximum amount of grease you can use, a bit less would be better.
It will get sloppy.
But it works.

I'll do a recording to compare it with the UltraX later, right now I don't have the time.

There is one downside, besides the large amount work: It gets dirty real easy. Even the slightest amount of grease will collect dust quickly. But I was so happy with the results that I didn't mind. Would I do it again? Propably not, and definitely not with the UltraX (then again, never say never...;) I'm not even sure how it would adapt to it, since I haven't tried to remove the keys yet.

What I would like to try, is use some very thin foam instead of the grease. I think it could yield some good results too.

Finally, if anyone has succesfully removed keys from the UltraX, please describe me how to do it. Or better yet, post a photo of the mechanism, so I can start figuring out a way to silence it. :)
Last edited by CeeSami on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seal

Post by Seal » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:48 am

Here you go. This was the fate of my ultrax once i spilt tea on it... (i thought that only happened in films). It survived perfectly although the keys got sticky so i took it apart to clean the keys.

The mechanism is just standard laptop key style. To take the keys off, just pull gently from the top left corner untill you hear a click, then the top right corner untill you hear a click, and then lift the key up and pull gently untill the bottom 2 hooks unclip.

The scisor mechanism is very very delicate though so its easy to damage.

Be very careful though because i broke a small plastic clip taking all those keys off under the shift key and its all dodgy now :(.

Seal

Post by Seal » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:52 am

oh yeah, and that vaseline thing? eww! i'd never do that. pls dont do it on your ultrax.

and also forgot to add the mechanism for the "F#" keys is bit different, pull from the left sides first and unclip on the right.