PCI slots for intake?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

einolu

PCI slots for intake?

Post by einolu » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:01 pm

Considering that Im not using any of my PCI slots, Im currently using them as a air intake, should I somehow put a fan (120mm?) in that area and increase airflow? Im not using my front as a intake because I have a terrible Raidmax case that has that whole area blocked off. Anybody ever use the PCIs as a intake before?

~EO

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:32 am

I accidentally once had my empty PCI slots open. Bad idea. My temps increased. It was prolly b/c I introduced a short circuit in the internal air current. Of course your situation may be different.

Try closing them off to see how your temps change.

maarten

Post by maarten » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:46 am

I use my back PCI slots to cool the VGA-card with a Zalman heatsink.
I used the stock Intel CPU cooler at 5v, it hangs at the outside... it works really great for me.

In the near future I'm going to try to make a duct from the bottom two PCI slots and curve it upwards with a 120mm fan, so it blows straight up + I'll change the Zalman PSU (from wich the fan makes weird noises already after 5 months) with a FSP400 120mm model that sucks in at the bottom... I hope this will create a nice upwards flow of cool air. I hope I can reduce the speed of the CPU fan even further with this.

einolu

Post by einolu » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:59 am

Ill have to play around with it a little, but powergyoza, Im guessing you had a decent front intake... And maarten, ur using that fan to blow OUT right? Because Id use one to blow in... Hmm, Ill post pics when Im close to finishing :P.

~EO

maarten

Post by maarten » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:11 am

actually it blows in, since the front fan has very little intake (it's a dbox case)

I know... dust... therefor see my other topic in CPU cooling, I'll change that later, but still have the back pci slots as intake (hopefully filtered) :)

einolu

Post by einolu » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:55 am

I wish I had a sonata or super lan boy :(.

~EO