Athlon 64 software cooling (disconnect/HLT/Cool&Quiet)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:19 am

Oh that's right. I was confusing Q-fan with Aopen's Silentek. Oh well, same principle. :lol: Speedfan, if it works with your mobo, is probably the best solution anyway.

sneaker

Post by sneaker » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:25 pm

Rusty075 wrote:They're suggesting that in place of a thermally controlled fan on the HSF, that you use software to adjust the fan speed, which seems like a good solution. It wouldn't have to be Asus' software, it could be something like Speedfan or CPUcool as well.
Okay. I misinterpreted it as saying "if you don't use the AMD cooler, you can't use CnQ" (though I couldn't imagine why not).

Incidentally, does Speedfan work with the K8V?

greeef

Post by greeef » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:31 pm

has anyone had any success with 8rdavcore and the NF7?

I plan on buying a mobile cpu soon, and i would like to have my core voltage and optimally the multiplier vary with load, though i think fsb is more probable.

Thanks!

griff

fabre

Post by fabre » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:16 pm

Speedswitch wouldn't detect the stepping so I am giving a run at CrystalCPUID on a compaq presario 2100
Mobile Athlon 2400 by default it's 13.5 x 133 @ 1.45

how low should I set the vcore at 6 x 133? atm it's 1.100

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:03 am

Cool-n-Quiet Athlon 64 Motherboards -- It's a compilation much like Undervoltable Motherboards; could have been an addition to that article but... Thanks again to Joachim -- jojo4u.

bonzichrille

Post by bonzichrille » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:26 pm

I recently assembled my new amd64 rig with the MSI K8N NEO PLATINUM. Cool and quiet is working, although Im using two separate ddr400 dimm's!

Just like the picture from anandtech suggests, there's no undervolting options in bios. I myself use clockgen instead.

I wanted to comment on amd's install instructions. When browsing to the page speciefied by the given pdf-file there's no coolnquiet file for windows XP, only for ME and 2000.....I tried to install it anyway but it refused so I then downloaded the newest drivers for processor itself, seemed to have solved the problem.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:27 pm

Now for something completely different. All of the posts about CnQ seem to be about Windows systems. I am a Linux user and I also like quite computers. I am currently running an Athlon xp CPU with SuSE 9.1 which uses the 2.6 kernel. I have used the command line hack to enable the the cool bit and my machine runs very cool at idle with the CPU about 7C over the case temp. This is compareable to using VCool when booted to Windows on the same machine. But I have been considering building a AMD 64 system.

The Linux 2.6 kernel has support for mobil CPUs unlike the 2.4 kernel. Which on the surface would indicate that the 2.6 kernel would support CnQ. Does anyone here know if this is correct?

I also asked this same question on a couple of Linux forums. On one of them I got a reply that it does work if the MB BIOS supports Cn'Q. That user was using an Asus K8V SE motherboard and is running the SuSE 9.1 distro. This has the 2.6 kernel. All he had to do was enable it in the BIOS and the kernel knew how to handle everything else out of the box. Sweet. He has verified the speed changes using KDE System Guard.

Mimesis

Post by Mimesis » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:05 pm

bonzichrille wrote:I recently assembled my new amd64 rig with the MSI K8N NEO PLATINUM. Cool and quiet is working, although Im using two separate ddr400 dimm's!

Just like the picture from anandtech suggests, there's no undervolting options in bios. I myself use clockgen instead.

I wanted to comment on amd's install instructions. When browsing to the page speciefied by the given pdf-file there's no coolnquiet file for windows XP, only for ME and 2000.....I tried to install it anyway but it refused so I then downloaded the newest drivers for processor itself, seemed to have solved the problem.

Hi there! Because of this post, I'm thinking of getting the MSI K8N NEO FSR. That should work just aswell, shouldn't it? (Regarding CoQ, that is.)

Has anyone else tried this motherboard and have any comment about CnQ on it? And if so, how many DIMM-sticks are you using?

Thanks!

EDIT After going through MSI:s forum, it seems like it'll work fine, even with two sticks of RAM, and if it doesn't it should when MSI release their next BIOS.
Last edited by Mimesis on Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:09 am

hvengel wrote:The Linux 2.6 kernel has support for mobil CPUs unlike the 2.4 kernel. Which on the surface would indicate that the 2.6 kernel would support CnQ. Does anyone here know if this is correct?
The Kernel supports Cool'n'Quiet through cpufreq. It consists of a driver (powernow-k8) and a Gouvernor. In order to use it convenient, you need a userspace tool to configure the gouvernor. German magazine C't tested 3 2.6 distributions: Fedora Core 2, Mandrake Powerpack 10.0+ and Suse Linux 9.1 Professional. Only Suse offered a out-of-the box support including a userspace tool for Cool'n'Quiet. Mandrake only offers full-speed and Fedora offers no userspace tool.

yboris

RMClock.exe

Post by yboris » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:35 am

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

I have an AMD64 3200 and a motherboard that should support "cool'n'quiet" but it doesn't seem to work. There is an easy way around that: RMClock

this if a blessing from heaven! underclocks my 2.2ghz to 800mhz and from 1.5 vcore goes to 1.0 causing it to be cooler - and hence makes my zalman 7000b AlCu spin slower - causing less noise and less heat.

GOOD PROGRAM (try it - there are slim chances of system instability though) :D

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:22 am

Basically,with some current gear,not all,cool+quiet does a sort of on-demand undervolt,dropping power and heat output. Various motherboads,like Asus,have monitoring,at least of the cpu,but some monitor more. Generally these can slow a One speed CPU fan if it has the 3rd wire for rpm feedback. Some also can slow case fans. Some fans further,have their own built in sensor control,independant of the mobo. If Cool+Quiet slows the cpu then it gets cooler and whatever controls and monitors fan speed and temp will slow the fan. If I am doing something able to actually push an A64 3000 to it's limits,a guess I want that power. I am going to only need it a few hours a week. Logically if I undervolt,my max power is limited-while if I setup cool and quiet optimally I get the same quiet 90% of the time and the rest is when the full power matters. It's a pretty sweet system,you get to have cake and eat it too

sven

Re: RMClock.exe

Post by sven » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:17 am

yboris wrote:http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

I have an AMD64 3200 and a motherboard that should support "cool'n'quiet" but it doesn't seem to work. There is an easy way around that: RMClock

this if a blessing from heaven! underclocks my 2.2ghz to 800mhz and from 1.5 vcore goes to 1.0 causing it to be cooler - and hence makes my zalman 7000b AlCu spin slower - causing less noise and less heat.

GOOD PROGRAM (try it - there are slim chances of system instability though) :D
If you set RMClock to Sharp P-State Transitions and set the Multi to 5x lowest (for 11x highest Multi), you should get a more stable pc. :D

Unfortunatly the tool does not follow the AMD-specification for P-State transistions. The above mentioned changes will give you a better match to the spec. :wink:

EDIT: RMClock is changed, there is now an option 'Follow AMD P-State Transition Rules'. :D
Last edited by sven on Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:18 am

I just built an A64 on an MSI K8M Neo V for my father. C'n'Q works fine, lowering both GHz and Vcore. Unfortunately, there is no control of CPU fan speed. I tried both MSI's Core software and Speedfan with no luck.

Otherwise, the K8M is a great board, but it would be more accurate to say it provides Cool 'n' Not Quiet.

n00b

Post by n00b » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:20 am

Could anyone tell me if the MSI RS480M2-IL mainboard supports Cool'n'Quiet? I know it's not on the 'Cool-n-Quiet Athlon 64 Motherboards' site, but since it is new (at least that's what I heard), I'm kind of hoping it does support CnQ and just hasn't been added yet.

And does this board also support variable fan speed (or whatever it's called, you'll know what I mean) (else CnQ would only keep it cool and not quiet), or is that already standard?

If posted my question at the wrong place or if it the answer is already out there, I apologize. (I'm new at this, as my username suggests)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:09 am

n00b wrote:Could anyone tell me if the MSI RS480M2-IL mainboard supports Cool'n'Quiet? I know it's not on the 'Cool-n-Quiet Athlon 64 Motherboards' site, but since it is new (at least that's what I heard), I'm kind of hoping it does support CnQ and just hasn't been added yet.
MSI RS480M2-IL a.k.a. MS-7093
AMD's Cool 'n Quiet page for MS-7093

n00b

Post by n00b » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:48 am

Thanks. I missed it on the AMD site because I selected ATX instead of microATX. I really am a n00b!

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:33 am

HammerSandwich wrote:I just built an A64 on an MSI K8M Neo V for my father. C'n'Q works fine, lowering both GHz and Vcore. Unfortunately, there is no control of CPU fan speed. I tried both MSI's Core software and Speedfan with no luck.

Otherwise, the K8M is a great board, but it would be more accurate to say it provides Cool 'n' Not Quiet.
Anything in the BIOS?

What fan header you are using? Usually there are only one or two adjustable headers, and one of them might not be CPU_FAN.

It might just be easier to use a Fan Mate.

Cheers,

Jan

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:11 pm

Jan Kivar wrote:Anything in the BIOS?

What fan header you are using? Usually there are only one or two adjustable headers, and one of them might not be CPU_FAN.

It might just be easier to use a Fan Mate.
Nothing in the latest BIOS. I tried all three headers that Speedfan could set, but none affected fan speeds. Not really a problem (7v trick is sufficient for this PC); just wanted to provide the warning.

breyed

CnQ working well until resume from standby

Post by breyed » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:43 pm

I've got a MSI Neo Platinum (7030). I turned on CnQ and set a desired temperature in the BIOS, set XP-SP2 to use Minimal Power Management, and CnQ works great...

until I put the computer into S3 standby (which also works fine) and later resume from standby. When I resume, the C in CnQ works fine, CPU voltage and freq drop, but the Q is no good because the fan spins at full speed.

I submitted a tech support request on Friday, but haven't heard from them. :( I know of an anoying workaround (manual intervention required each time resuming from standby). Anyone know of a non-anoying workaround?
Not really a problem (7v trick is sufficient for this PC); just wanted to provide the warning.
Can you provide me a link on the7v trick? Thanks.[/quote]

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:42 am

The 7v trick can be found in the Fans & Control section on the SPCR frontpage (left column).

NeilBlanchard

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 supports CN'Q

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:44 pm

Hello:

I can confirm that the Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 supports Cool N' Quiet (BIOS F2). The Athlon 64 4000+ (0.13u ClawHammer) drops from 2.4gHz @ 1.5v to 1gHz @ 1v. And this is with four 1GB sticks of RAM (though the RAM speed is limited to 166mHz, and does not run at 200mHz as it might otherwise).

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:25 am

A thermal control fan that slows when the cpu/heat sink is cool and speeds up when it is hot is part of the cool+quiet strategy. Some motherboards can do the thermal sensing and speed control for a 1-speed fan. With Artic Coolings TC 80mm fans only $5,its pretty simple to get the "quiet" part. The combo of Winchester A64's,NF4,cool +quiet give the ability to have a seriously powerful puter that is almost silent without any real deep tweaking. Not long ago you had to pick quiet or powerful-both was not an option. If you go ultra-cheapo or super gamer,quiet may be relative. The overclocked rig with the vid card that gets hot enough to heat an apartment won't be silent. If you have a bunch of not-quiet components and then try getting them to be quiet,again it is hard.

adala

Re: Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 supports CN'Q

Post by adala » Wed May 11, 2005 5:47 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

I can confirm that the Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 supports Cool N' Quiet (BIOS F2). The Athlon 64 4000+ (0.13u ClawHammer) drops from 2.4gHz @ 1.5v to 1gHz @ 1v. And this is with four 1GB sticks of RAM (though the RAM speed is limited to 166mHz, and does not run at 200mHz as it might otherwise).
I just ordered the mb and was wondering if the K8N slows the CPU fan when it drops to 1ghz?