If you could create your own heatsink

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:00 am

I did NOT do this and do NOT take credit for his work.

Here is his site where he has done more projects of interest:

http://www.geocities.jp/numano3/index.html

-Ken

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:43 am

Very impressive! Have you seen the new Hush PC?

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:51 am

Gxcad, every time I see that guys computer build I get a bit frustrated. He has gone through a lot of trouble to build a passively cooled computer but he skipped all the theory and didn't even look for any neat solutions.

A few examples:
Not really funny to move that box around (weight etc).
Just think of the work to change your RAM in that box.
You can't even detatch the power cable without removing the CPU heatsink.
The airflow for the CPU heatsink may be great, but he skipped out on airflow for lots of other components. He did put in some ducts for some of the components randomly, but missed some of the most important ones.

On top of this his solution needed to be made motherboard and chassi specific, and he had to compleately ruin the chassi to put it in.

Doing something siminar to HushPC, Tranquill or Fmah make a lot more sense. Fmah's build is really simple. Use a huge heatsink as the back plate of the chassi. Put a few heatpipes that transfers heat from the CPU to this heatsink.
This is the same way that Zalmans TNN-500 chassi works, except that they have a bunch of pre-drilled holes in the huge heatsink to accomodate for different motherboards (where the CPU-sockel is located differently).

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:09 am

I myself like to use reverse flow on my HSF and pull that out of the case. I'm currently using an AX-7 which works well. I'd like to see more HSs designed for this type of setup. Where the airflow would be directed from the base up through the center of the HS. The outside of the HS would probably be closed so that the base is the only place air gets pulled through.

Just my 2c

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:51 am

Use a standard SLK900 or whatever model. Then add a couple heatpipes and make another sink that attaches under the exhaust fan.