*** A Call to Arms! Join SPCR's Folding@Home team ***

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:47 pm

Stevo,

You may not know the answer to this, since it's not covered in Folding 101, but how many of your machines got a "Tinker" as their first Work Unit? This seems to be a sort of "right of passage" by Stanford, as machines getting their first WU seem to get an inordinately high percentage of Tinkers. I consider this unfortunate since Tinkers typically take much longer to complete than "Gromacs" units, unnecessarily testing the patience of new folders.

David

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:38 pm

I must admit this Folding@home is fascinating. Stevo really got the bug and didn't get anything done at the office on Friday except run around and get those computers on-line. I see now that we've moved up to 155 in just over 48 hours. Wait till he gets this Folding@Home software as part of our QC process on machines in production. We can probably squeeze at least 24 hours of folding for each unit produced...

By the way, I noticed that we fell back to 29th overall. Where do I check for team stats?

Roym@arm

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:54 pm

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:59 pm

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Re: :-0

Post by roym@arm » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:36 pm

peteamer wrote:Stevo, looked for your stats, couldn't find them :shock:

Uuummm.... Oh... I see, (looks much higher up list) 500 points+ in less than 48hrs :shock: :shock:

Hopefully you'll pass me before you get the rest of your firepower 'tuned' in.. or I'll get wind burn from the turbulance as you pass and probably 'sand blasted' by the dust in your wake.... guess I better get some eye protection... like this? 8) ... :lol:

Must also say how uplifting it is to have 'A Vendor' join our ranks, especially one who's product are so fitting for this site...
'Ready Built Quiet'... and quality.

Damn... you might do us home built boys out of a hobby (yeah, I know,... it's actually an obsession :wink: )

And how sweet it is to welcome along with many others, a m...., m...., m...., you know a pre apple-sauce.. 'solid':wink: .

Kinda like when I went to the pub the other day and ordered a " C..., C..., C...., Bacardi and Coke.. without the Bacardi please :cry: "

Pete

Power To your Folding

R U wearing your eye protection yet? 8) Looks like it might happen before you have your coffee in the morning....

Kudos to STEVO for his effort. The Quad Xeon is up and running but is only able to see 4 CPU's. We're going to load Windows 2003 Enterprise Server so we will be able to see 8 processors in this "Big Kahuna". Then we'll get more output out of it.

Until then...keep on folding. :P

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:46 pm

So , Roy...

Are you going to actually sell me a Stealth Case Kit, or just fold all day? :lol: (Stevo forwarded you an e-mail with a sales inquiry from me on Monday...)

For a bit of incentive...If I can get the case delivered "quickly"....then I may dedicate the folding of the P4 3.2 Ghz that it will house, toward efforts to SPCR. Currently, I fold for Beyond 3D.

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:59 am

haysdb wrote:Stevo,

You may not know the answer to this, since it's not covered in Folding 101, but how many of your machines got a "Tinker" as their first Work Unit? This seems to be a sort of "right of passage" by Stanford, as machines getting their first WU seem to get an inordinately high percentage of Tinkers. I consider this unfortunate since Tinkers typically take much longer to complete than "Gromacs" units, unnecessarily testing the patience of new folders.

David
I'm not sure, I was running around after work in such a hurry getting all our systems online that I didn't have much time to check. Plus in the first few days I wasn't familiar with all the aspects to folding. I think I've got it down pretty good now with the right parameters set and multiple threads running on our multi-cpu and hyper-threaded boxes. But like most things, I am sure there is always more to learn :)

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:04 am

Joe DeFuria wrote:So , Roy...

Are you going to actually sell me a Stealth Case Kit, or just fold all day? :lol: (Stevo forwarded you an e-mail with a sales inquiry from me on Monday...)

For a bit of incentive...If I can get the case delivered "quickly"....then I may dedicate the folding of the P4 3.2 Ghz that it will house, toward efforts to SPCR. Currently, I fold for Beyond 3D.
Roy can get back to you with the specifics, but after he talked with you and some of the other folks that called about it he spent some time coming up with a more full featured menu of options on the StealthPC Foundation Kits. I'll post a link to the kits with the new additions he came up with tomorrow for you guys to check out.

And as for folding, dood... your at SPCR man :shock: , kick in all those cycles for the cool and quiet crowd :P ... I smell apple turn-overs a-cookin' in the oven :twisted:

And yeah, definately we'll put a rush on your kit if you put some 3.20 HT horsepower into SPCR folding stable :wink:

Stevo

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:21 am

ArtCubed wrote: Hey! It's not the platform, but how much (little) noise it makes!
Here! Here! I second that, if there were a stat that measured qualitative points, team SPCR would win NO CONTEST on a Folding points per dBA basis 8)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:46 am

Stevo,

Assuming all machines are on a LAN, you will want to add some monitoring software to at least one central machine. I run TWO, since each has unique features, Electron Microscope III, and F@H LogStats.

A unique feature of EM3 is that you can tell at a glance when a machine has stopped folding. Unfortunately this can also be an annoyance since there is no way to simply "ignore" a client that you know is "down", so you have to ignore the Error printed across the top of EM3.

LogStats has a simpler, more streamlined interface which makes many routine tasks very easy, including adding/removing clients, viewing log files, and updating the proteins list. For more than 13 clients, I would suggest LogStats since EM3 can only display 13 clients at a time.

David

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:18 am

Joe DeFuria wrote:So , Roy...

I think you must have me confused with STEVO. He's the one folding all day. I'm the one who has to pay the bills....just kidding :roll:

You must not have gotten my e-mail response? Anyway, I'll check with you Wednesday...

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Re: :-0

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:39 am

peteamer wrote:Stevo, looked for your stats, couldn't find them :shock:

Uuummm.... Oh... I see, (looks much higher up list) 500 points+ in less than 48hrs :shock: :shock:

Hopefully you'll pass me before you get the rest of your firepower 'tuned' in.. or I'll get wind burn from the turbulance as you pass and probably 'sand blasted' by the dust in your wake.... guess I better get some eye protection... like this? 8) ... :lol:
Thanks peteamer :D I would have answered back sooner but I have been slowed down some by the flu :( Hence the massive back to back batch posting you see now in this thread... gotta catch up with my new friends :wink: After all the hard work and time you guys on the folding team have put in and slogged through the tough times and put up with the tauntings from the other teams... I just want to do my part to make sure we can all have Apple-sauce with every meal :lol:
peteamer wrote:Must also say how uplifting it is to have 'A Vendor' join our ranks, especially one who's product are so fitting for this site...
'Ready Built Quiet'... and quality.

Damn... you might do us home built boys out of a hobby (yeah, I know,... it's actually an obsession :wink: ) ...
I really appreciate the compliments! We at ARM have to do the vendor thing to just to pay the bills and put the kids through school, but we specifically chose to build quiet PC's because like everyone here at SPCR, we really do think a well built PC is a quiet PC 8)

Stevo
------------------------------
Execute FOLDING sub-routine: Fold... Fold... Fold...

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:25 am

haysdb wrote:Stevo,

Assuming all machines are on a LAN, you will want to add some monitoring software to at least one central machine. I run TWO, since each has unique features, Electron Microscope III, and F@H LogStats.
Thanks David, I'll check those out, I was beggining to wonder how on earth some of you guys kept track of all those folding clients :shock: I was doing it the hard way :roll:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:00 am

The rapidity at which this thread moved to the second page is testament to how active the Folding forum has become, and yet our numbers are still small relative to the number of people who visit the SPCR forums every day. JOIN US!

David

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:00 pm

Joe DeFuria wrote:
.....For a bit of incentive...If I can get the case delivered "quickly"....then I may dedicate the folding of the P4 3.2 Ghz that it will house, toward efforts to SPCR. Currently, I fold for Beyond 3D.
Hey Joe, is your new system ready to start Folding yet? We got your kit to you quickly so how 'bout some Folding for team SPCR? :wink: We sure could use your help against the sour Apples (Team MacOS X) and the wacky Knights (KWSN).

Stevo
---------------
All Aboard!....No time to lose... Throw some more CPU's into the Folding-Boiler... we have Apple-Sauce to make and Ni's to break :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

@#$^%&*&...~~.
~~~|\_________||__
~~~|,_|_|_|_ |_|_|_.|\_____
~~~\__Team SPCR__|~~~|8
....... (O)(O)(O)------(O)(O)oo-j\>.....
Team_MacOS_X.....Team_KWSN....

PorBleemo

Post by PorBleemo » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:08 pm

I'm crunching F@H for TeAm Anandtech to pass you people up or hold the lead.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:23 pm

Stevo@ARM wrote: @#$^%&*&...~~.
~~~|\_________||__
~~~|,_|_|_|_ |_|_|_.|\_____
~~~\__Team SPCR__|~~~|8
....... (O)(O)(O)------(O)(O)oo-j\>.....
Team_MacOS_X.....Team_KWSN....
You are SO clever!

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:13 am

Thanks to our new members, MacOS X is back on SPCR's "Upcoming Conquests" list. We are currently the 26th ranked team overall, but 20th is within our grasp this year:

Code: Select all

Team AnandTech          Feb 29, 2004
Team MacOS X            Mar  4, 2004
Dutch Power Cows        Mar 19, 2004
EOC Folding@Home Team   Apr 16, 2004
The Knights Who Say Ni! Sep 25, 2004
Futuremark.com          Dec 20, 2004
Stop by the Folding@Home forum to see what's going on, introduce yourself, and get started Folding for SPCR.

David

aston

Post by aston » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:52 am

*Bump*

We need your help! We're currently neck-and-neck with Team MacOSX and we need some new members to help us get over the hump. If you join, we promise to shower you with praise and treat you real nice in the Folding forum. :)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:02 am

There has certainly been no better time to "make a difference". aston himself is one of our new folders who has made a difference.

Give it ONE WEEK. If you aren't totally satisfied, we will refund your membership fee. :lol:

David

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:10 am

Come David (haysdb),

Your underselling the glory of folding and all the riches it brings.

Surely we are so convinced of 'Satisfaction'... we should offer a Double refund? 8)

Pete

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:28 am

You heard the man. DOUBLE you money back if not completely satisfied. Image

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:57 pm

Time to resurrect this thread. We did in fact pass Team MacOSX and have managed to put a wee bit o' distance between us and them, but they have been busy little boys and girls and have managed to increase their production to the point where they have outproduced us three days running now. They could officially appear on our "Threats List" tomorrow or Tuesday.

We need your Image to stay ahead of the Mac guys. If you have a computer with some spare cycles, come join SPCR's Folding@Home team.

Last edited by haysdb on Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:09 pm

Stanford's Folding@Home home page: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases

What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

How can you help? You can help our project by downloading and running our client software. Our algorithms are designed such that for every computer that joins the project, we get a commensurate increase in simulation speed.

aston

Post by aston » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:44 am

Not only will you be doing something for a good cause, but you'll also get a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that your computer isn't wasting cycles and that it's actually DOING something while it's on. My computers feel like they have a sense of purpose now that I've started folding.

As far as silence goes... anyone can build a computer that's quiet when it's idle, but can you build one that's silent while under load? :D

Zipity_Du_da

Post by Zipity_Du_da » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:37 pm

Can we say Sexist, and in Bad taste...

Perhaps, give a free download with every WU turned in... :lol:

I'm sure you'll get a whole lot of stealthy "trenchcoaters" to join in with the fold!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:04 pm

Zipity_Du_da wrote:Image

Can we say Sexist, and in Bad taste...

Perhaps, give a free download with every WU turned in... :lol:

I'm sure you'll get a whole lot of stealthy "trenchcoaters" to join in with the fold!
I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures of guys.

David

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 pm

Zipity_Du_da --

You're probably right...

aston

Post by aston » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:25 pm

Probably. But still, she's nice to look at if you're a (straight) guy. :)

I wonder how many female posters/lurkers there are at SPCR?

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:31 am

Agreed, but the previous one was better :? :cry:

Womens? There? I believe close to none. Womens seems to believe that computers have to generate noise and punishing that their users :wink:
Mine get a little interesed when i created the completely fanless and noiseless VIA C3 one, however that it is :?