Some people WANT noise...

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadowknight

Some people WANT noise...

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:40 am

While doing some reading on Anandtech a few days ago, I found this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... id=1236101

Apparently, some people WANT a noisy computer. Bizarre. Apparantly, some of the respondants think noise = a powerful computer. When, like most of us, I think that noise = unnecessary annoyance.

Comments?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:17 am

Stuff like this:
un named AT poster wrote:"Tell you what, I have two Seagate Barracudas in my home rig, a 7200.7 and a IV, and what annoys ME is how slow they are as they tiptoe around trying to be quiet Gimme my pair of 15000rpm Seagate Cheetahs from my work rig... oh yes Precious, we hears them, but we doesn't mind it because they are fasssssst. "
and this:
another deaf AT poster wrote:"Mine is noisy and I love it... it lets me know it's there.

I guess it's that testosterone love of knowing I've got a "balls-to-the-walls" machine pumpin out some serious power down there. I get off on that "
...make me smile. To each, their own.

Note that I posted in that thread a few days ago to uphold the SPCR honor..... :)

einolu

Post by einolu » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:11 am

ROFL!

~EO

Shawn O

Post by Shawn O » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:37 am

I headed over to silentPCreview.. and dayum those guys ard hardcore!
Hehe :D .

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:36 pm

That's right. Computers should be seen and not heard.

Unless you toss in a Lord of the Rings DVD and crank up the 5.1 speaks :D

screw3d

Post by screw3d » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:09 pm

Shawn O wrote:
I headed over to silentPCreview.. and dayum those guys ard hardcore!
Hehe :D .
That's me :oops: I have a feeling that I am going that way to hehe

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:17 pm

Power may cause noise, but noise causes no power.

If noise = powerful computer, there should be
http://www.noisypcreview.com/

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:34 pm

I have a friend that is ALMOST willing to start a site like that...LOL. Imagine the news headings:

New 120mm Delta fan! 60db and 200cfm! Sucks 30watts!

(a fan with similar specs DOES exist! *shiver*)

The forums would be full of discussions like:

"I wanted to buy the PCP&C psu because I heard its loud but I'm not sure its loud enough for me."

Reply: "I would get a seasonic and then mod it with a vantec tornado. Make sure you do the overvolt mod and override the S2FC circuitry so you have a constant 18v going into it regardless of temperature or load. This way you have a nice loud and efficient psu."

hehe, this friend is an extremist, he is also into "retina melters" (very VERY bright lights).

-Ken

einolu

Post by einolu » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:13 pm

Gxcad wrote:I have a friend that is ALMOST willing to start a site like that...LOL. Imagine the news headings:

New 120mm Delta fan! 60db and 200cfm! Sucks 30watts!

(a fan with similar specs DOES exist! *shiver*)

The forums would be full of discussions like:

"I wanted to buy the PCP&C psu because I heard its loud but I'm not sure its loud enough for me."

Reply: "I would get a seasonic and then mod it with a vantec tornado. Make sure you do the overvolt mod and override the S2FC circuitry so you have a constant 18v going into it regardless of temperature or load. This way you have a nice loud and efficient psu."

hehe, this friend is an extremist, he is also into "retina melters" (very VERY bright lights).

-Ken
gave me a nice laugh, thx!

~EO

maarten

Post by maarten » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:57 am

It's sure a good way to prevent people from getting some sleep at lan-parties for people with "powerfull" computers :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:57 am

This louder=better thing is not restricted to computers alone. Cars, music, concerts, sporting events....the list is endless. Fortunately for the sake of our hearing, this little phase of society is usually restricted to young people, who hopefully grow out of this insanity before they lose their hearing ability........

Huh....what you say? :D

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:44 am

well, there are some things that you want to hear.

for example, i like to hear my hdd seeks because i can tell what my computer's doing. (sometimes the screen just ain't enough, ehhe). also lets me know it's alive! :

and when it comes to cars: i think most guys WANT to hear it! i mean, imagine sitting at the lights in your silent, hybrid toyota prius next to someone with some beefed up v8 gt car. regardless of what happens when the lights go green, your manhood is stated very loud and clearly :)

then again, that's because when it comes to cars, lots of power almost always brings lots of noise, and vice versa; which isn't nearly as often the case with computers.

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:32 am

Each to his own. Personally, I think a computer is much like a woman. It should look good and it should not whine or chatter. With its sleek lines and soft tones it should evoke envy and lust in those less fortunate. It should be obedient and quick to fulfil your slightest desire with the minimum of fuss. It should never refuse to work or balk in the middle of an activity. When you're tired it should let you sleep and never give you any crap.

Of course, real life begs to differ... :|

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:28 am

Inexplicable wrote:Each to his own. Personally, I think a computer is much like a woman. It should look good and it should not whine or chatter. With its sleek lines and soft tones it should evoke envy and lust in those less fortunate. It should be obedient and quick to fulfil your slightest desire with the minimum of fuss. It should never refuse to work or balk in the middle of an activity. When you're tired it should let you sleep and never give you any crap.

Of course, real life begs to differ... :|
http://www.progress.demon.co.uk/Adult_F ... puter.html :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Jan

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:23 am

chylld wrote:and when it comes to cars: i think most guys WANT to hear it! i mean, imagine sitting at the lights in your silent, hybrid toyota prius next to someone with some beefed up v8 gt car. regardless of what happens when the lights go green, your manhood is stated very loud and clearly :)
I've always been amused by the guys with the "maybe-legal" mufflers that show off their automotive "manhood" every chance they get. Plenty of them seem to be stuck in a high school mindset. In my misspent youth I had cars that were fast, but not loud. My ego was fed by having my passenger seat occupied by girls who were fast and loud 8)

Now I'm old and happy being married to a blonde hottie who still gets carded even though she's over 30.

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:28 pm

Make no mistake about it, sbabb, you'll see the next ice age before you see me getting into a ricer :) I'm talking about a thumpin v8, 300+ kW kinda stuff.

And of course, noise and emissions compliant. (rozzers here aren't exactly dumb)

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:52 pm

Oh, here's another bizarre link: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/s ... adid=83414

A user with a 9700 Ultimate swapped his superior zalman heatsink with the ATI standard cooler. Bizarre.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:47 pm

Shadowknight wrote:Oh, here's another bizarre link: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/s ... adid=83414

A user with a 9700 Ultimate swapped his superior zalman heatsink with the ATI standard cooler. Bizarre.
The level of exchange in the posts there -- on that thread at least -- is uh... duh... "ram sinks look reall cool man" :roll:

BTW, sbabb --
Now I'm old and happy being married to a blonde hottie who still gets carded even though she's over 30.
8)

trodas

Post by trodas » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:11 am

I wnat my computer as powerfull, as possible - but also as quiet as possible, because i want to hear crystal-clear SOUND from the computer with it generate, and not sound mixed with damn PC noise!!! :evil:

Those who think oposite should probably stick with medival soundracrd with signal/noise ratio around 20dB - i prefer to hear my Audigy :wink: