Asus P5Q-EM G45 mATX motherboard

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
cloneman

Re: Asus P5Q-EM G45 mATX motherboard

Post by cloneman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 pm

This has become my Dad's PC, 10 years later.
I'm noticing the NorthBridge heatsink hits 75C under load (albeit this is with a C2Q 9500 and all 4 memory banks @ 2.1V). I'm thinking it's going to need more airflow. If the heatsink is 75C the chip itself must be at least 85C. Also, I don't see a valid temp sensor for the NB, that's disappointing.

Yes, I'm aware most people in this thread probably have children that are younger than this board now :lol:

It runs Linux Mint fairy well and even playsback Youtube up to 1440p with no help from the GPU.

Maverickâ„¢

Post by Maverickâ„¢ » Fri May 22, 2020 12:49 am

cloneman wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 pm
This has become my Dad's PC, 10 years later.
I'm noticing the NorthBridge heatsink hits 75C under load (albeit this is with a C2Q 9500 and all 4 memory banks @ 2.1V). I'm thinking it's going to need more airflow. If the heatsink is 75C the chip itself must be at least 85C. Also, I don't see a valid temp sensor for the NB, that's disappointing.

Yes, I'm aware most people in this thread probably have children that are younger than this board now :lol:

It runs Linux Mint fairy well and even playsback Youtube up to 1440p with no help from the GPU.
Cloneman I've bought this board on ebay just to playing with a C2Q near 12 years later
impressive that, if we exclude 4K gaming or in general heavy cpu demand games, or converting video files in an hour rather than half an hour (for me it doesn't change much in 24 hours), is still a platform still useful and valid

and also have a Pentium E2140 to have fun with an X2 Mhz overclock :mrgreen:
those were satisfactions!! not Z chipsets and K processors

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm

I just noticed this thread.

I have this board in my computer right now, and it's still going strong. Mike Chin actually built this HTPC computer for me back in 2009. I have a Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83 GHz CPU in it. Mike put a low profile but large cooler on it (I forget what brand), so it never gets hot. It has onboard video, which admittedly is getting old and lethargic now. I can't even update the video drivers for it anymore. But it has been a very reliable board, running 6-8 hrs/day for 11 years.