Antec NSK2400 Media PC Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
pyro2003

4 wire plug off 24 pin plug

Post by pyro2003 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi friends

I have an old motherboard with 20-pin connector, does that mean I can get rid of the 4 wire plug end ? This is not the same as the other 4 wire plug to the mobo, is it ? Jus that the wiring can be cleaner if so ...

thx ahead :?:

Spare Tire

quality of the nsk2400 v.2

Post by Spare Tire » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 am

Just got myself the v2 and indeed it does feel lighter than the original. I think they used thinner metal plates and the septum between the motherboard compartment and the power supply compartment is wobbly. Quality control seems to have gone down, but this is just anecdotal report. My power LED isn't as flush in the hole as my original nsk2400. If you can, i'd say get the original.

vaio

Post by vaio » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:54 pm

I really like my 2400's and look forward to being able to upgrade them from my current Sempy/A64'S to a couple of nice lil Wolfdales or Yorkies.

I trust the mini Ninja will fit ok and be up to the task....if not I'll have to mod my XP120'S :P

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Logical error in postscript on Antec Fusion?

Post by PartEleven » Wed May 28, 2008 8:01 am

I hate to be doing some thread necromancy, but I noticed what may be a typo in the postscript on the Antec Fusion. The sentence:

"The same goes for drives with an oddly placed eject button; if it's not reasonably close to the lower right corner, the pass-through button on the front may work properly."

I'm guessing this should read:

"The same goes for drives with an oddly placed eject button; if it's not reasonably close to the lower right corner, the pass-through button on the front may not work properly."

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Logical error in postscript on Antec Fusion?

Post by MikeC » Wed May 28, 2008 8:16 am

PartEleven wrote:I hate to be doing some thread necromancy, but I noticed what may be a typo in the postscript on the Antec Fusion. The sentence:

"The same goes for drives with an oddly placed eject button; if it's not reasonably close to the lower right corner, the pass-through button on the front may work properly."

I'm guessing this should read:

"The same goes for drives with an oddly placed eject button; if it's not reasonably close to the lower right corner, the pass-through button on the front may not work properly."
Nothing to hate; spcr articles keep getting read long after they're posted. This one, first posted 2 years ago, is a perfect example. You don't think it was read 880,749 times in the first few weeks do you? :lol: Actually, it's catching up to the grandest daddy of all spcr articles -- the PSU Fundamentals article, posted nearly 6 years ago, and now standing at 1,141,587 reads.

btw -- you're right about the missing not; corrected, thanks.

Konig-Wolf

Post by Konig-Wolf » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Hello,

I had a quick question for something that wasn't covered in the review...when you installed your optical drive, did you have any problems with it making large amounts of noise while running? Did you take any special measures to help keep it quiet?

I ask because based on your review, I went and purchased this particular case for a low-cost, low-energy consumption PC I've put together. Although I'm not a hardcore quiet computing guy, I figured that would be a major upside of this build, in addtion to the two traits I mentioned above.

For the most part, the case is performing either to or even better then stated in your review. I'm extremely delighted with the purchase, save for one aspect...I'm not entirely sure why, but in this particular case, my optical drive is extremely loud. When one drive is louder then every other component in the case, that can't be a good thing...so did you take any special measures to quiet the optical drive bay?

My optical drive is a Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7201A-0B. I mounted it in the top slot of the optical drive bay, using the stock screws (all eight of them). Nothing is mounted in the lower bay. Any help you all could provide would be most appreciated, and thank you for the awesome review.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Konig-Wolf wrote:Did you take any special measures to quiet the optical drive bay?

My optical drive is a Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7201A-0B. I mounted it in the top slot of the optical drive bay, using the stock screws (all eight of them). Nothing is mounted in the lower bay. Any help you all could provide would be most appreciated, and thank you for the awesome review.
No special effort was made... and the noise with the optical drive running was not tested.

Why not? Because at "full" read/write speed, no optical drive is quiet. The standard practice is to reduce the read/write speed of the optical drive using software -- Nero has had such a feature for years, and so do most of the optical drive write software. I generally set my CD writer/readers at 24x or slower. W/ DVD writers, since their top speed is only 8x or 10x, you'll want to drop them down to 2x or 4x.

Especially if all you're doing is watching a movie, the drive needs only to run at 1x.

There is also the possibility that your Sony/NEC is noisier than others. I've personally been using mostly LG and Samsung (and the odd Asus) which are pretty smooth and quiet, especially when slowed.

Konig-Wolf

Post by Konig-Wolf » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 pm

MikeC wrote:
Konig-Wolf wrote:Did you take any special measures to quiet the optical drive bay?

No special effort was made... and the noise with the optical drive running was not tested.

Why not? Because at "full" read/write speed, no optical drive is quiet. The standard practice is to reduce the read/write speed of the optical drive using software -- Nero has had such a feature for years, and so do most of the optical drive write software. I generally set my CD writer/readers at 24x or slower. W/ DVD writers, since their top speed is only 8x or 10x, you'll want to drop them down to 2x or 4x.

Especially if all you're doing is watching a movie, the drive needs only to run at 1x.

There is also the possibility that your Sony/NEC is noisier than others. I've personally been using mostly LG and Samsung (and the odd Asus) which are pretty smooth and quiet, especially when slowed.
Thanks for the info. I'll definetely use Nero to slow the drive down...is there anything else I can do to reduce optical drive noise? I was thinking of lining the empty bay with acoustic padding, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I don't think using silicon gromets would be good either, as the screws don't seem long enough to accomidate the extra width they would add. Any ideas?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:30 am

Hiya people, I am hoping to get an NSK2480 before they vanish from the face of the Earth (only one reputable eTailer in the UK has them, half dont even have them listed), and I have a height limit of 14.5 cm's, 5.7 inches.

I can see via the pictures that the back feet can be taken off, but what about the front feet.???

Cooling for HDD's wont be an issue, as the drive has 1x 2.5" drive, but the main body of the case will get hardly any cooling through the top vent, and nothing from the botto. vent when the feet have been removed. Has anyone done anything similar to this before, or blocked those vents and just used the card slots at the back for airflow - which is exactly what I will be using.

As a slightly seperate question. I currently have a 65W 3500+ AM2 being cooled via a stock AMD cooler (no fan) with a PSU's 120mm fan directly above it as the sole cooling method for the system. This is adequate, and the system does not overheat, has anyone tried ducting one of the Tri-cools straight from a standard AMD cooler (without fan) and had any success.? I imagine it will be possible, and I am planning on just using one case fan for the setup, I was just wondering about other peoples strange requirements and issues with limited space and this case could throw some information and experiences my way.

Andy

boyo

cardreader

Post by boyo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:16 am

Hi there,

Anyone know if you can install a cardreader in the antec NSK2480? I'm guessing you'd have to install it in one of the 5.25" bays. If this works, is it possible to conceal it (ie: with a flap or something) easily?