Scythe SCNJ-1000 Ninja heatsink

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:56 pm

http://www.skynet-online.de/artikel/art ... =92&page=4

That is a review of the ncu-2005.

Does anyone read German, I was having troubles with 2 points, is the the side panel of the case closed for the temperature measurement?

And in the negative column what does
"Komfortabilität (Umsetzung)" mean?

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:01 pm

http://quietpc.com/uk/p4cooling.php#ncu2005

shows some of the questions one of the early posters to this thread was wondering about.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:13 pm

CGameProgrammer wrote:EDIT: ddrueding1 apparently has the same CPU and motherboard as I, but his signature gives no clue as to his case.
ddrueding1 wrote:I'm waiting on a black P180, so in the meantime it's sitting on a shelf in my desk, cables everywhere. I chose to go with the Scythe Ninja over my old Scythe NCU-2005 because of the diagonal airflow that will be caused by the 2 exhaust fans.

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:15 pm

Mats wrote:
CGameProgrammer wrote:EDIT: ddrueding1 apparently has the same CPU and motherboard as I, but his signature gives no clue as to his case.
ddrueding1 wrote:I'm waiting on a black P180, so in the meantime it's sitting on a shelf in my desk, cables everywhere. I chose to go with the Scythe Ninja over my old Scythe NCU-2005 because of the diagonal airflow that will be caused by the 2 exhaust fans.
OK, so I need to find out what desk he has and buy that!

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:19 pm

Oliver wrote:And in the negative column what does
"Komfortabilität (Umsetzung)" mean?
I think they mean that it's not so easy to attach, look at that screw under the fins. How are you supposed to reach that one with a regular screwdriver? :? You only get this problem with one of the two possible locations, here's another picture where it's no problem to install. It's all about how the holes are orientated in the mobo.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:51 pm

Currently there is no case. But I have tested this config in a P160, Sonata, and 3700BQE and all worked fine. Soon it will be in a P180.

The heatsink is just a little taller than the heatpipes on my video card.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:11 pm

www.presence-pc.com
should help the questions raised about the ncu-2005 and the SCNJ-1000.

Read all the pages. In the bad translation "the food" is a power supply.

The Titan Vanessa-L would be an ineresting thing to directly compare to the NCJ-1000 in the semi-passive mode. madshimp.com has a good active comparison.

For those interested in a lighter solution that is actively cooled , the Titan Vanessa-S with the fan mount altered to mount on the flatter side, so all the air from a slow fan goes to the cooler would be interesting.
http://www.silenthardware.de/reviews/cp ... index.html
hints at that , as the reaction to the YS fan temps, in the regular postion . I think the issue is the butterfly profile of the cooling fins creating a space between the fan, and if you move the fan to another flatter side, there may be a difference in temps. If you do that can the heatsink be rotated 90 degrees, so that it has the air blowing toward the case fan at the back?

As has been pointed out www.fan-x.de has good articles about temps of adjacent motherboard components and gpu.

There is also the cool scraper sx1 that I think weighs 570 grams. That would be intersting to see tested in semi-passive cooling.

Also
Any

edit by admin: embed long URLs as done for you on this post! Please click on edit to see how it is done!

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:10 pm

"Bawk! Ninja!" http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20020604 (week long strip on Pirates vs. Ninja)

Okay, just finished my Ninja that I got today...

1. This thing is a bitch to install. The only aftermarket heatsinks I've used have been the bolt-through method, so I'm not used to the normal clip mount for 478. My heatsink came off while attemptiing to install it, I've heard this isn't good for the thermalpaste, once you put the H/S on, you shouldn't take it off without replacing the thermal paste. Anyway, I finally figured out it was easier to use a screwdriver instead of my fingers to push the latches down. I was scared I cracked the core, as I'm not used to having to put this much force on installing a heatsink, but it went on fine.
2. It's light. All of the weight in in the bottom, the aluminum is really thin.
3. I'm not testing it with CPUBurn, as I believe in real world testing instead of artifical benchmarks (ex: I've found the Raptor to be no faster than a 7200rpm drive, despite what the RoXxOr benches say). Running 3dmark2005, with a 9800pro, the CPU maxed out at 59C with an undervolted Nexus 120mm case fan (don't know rpm offhand). With my 900u with a Nexus 92mm at 5v, my CPU would max out at 71c. So, definite improvement.

Also, keep in mind this is next to a passive Phantom, while Mike's test was with a P180, separated from the PSU, with an additional blowhole (when one fan was turned off in the test, was the blowhole covered up, or left open?). So, due to this reason, as well as due to possible lack of good contact with the thermalpaste as mentioned above, someone who's better than I at installing standard 478 heatsinks might get better temps with a comparable processor.

In short, with the exception of a lack of an option of bolting it through the mb (like with some of the older thermalright heatsinks), I give this two thumbs up.

Now I'm going to switch out the Zalman(tm) 9800pro fan with th

e Nexus fan I just removed from the old heatsink.

*Edit* I forgot to mention, the 71C temp was while I had a Geforce2 in my computer, while waiting for my 9800pro to get repaired by ATI. I just got it back yesterday, and unfortunately didn't make a point of stress testing the CPU. Still, with the higher heatoutput, I imagine it shows how good the Ninja is, considering the load temp is 10C lower than with the old H/S next to a much cooler video card. *Edit*

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:53 pm

Hey MikeC, you never mentioned in the review that during the test of the prescott, when you were running only 1 fan, did you close the blowhole shut? Or just turn the fan off?

Also, I'm getting 40 idle 60 load with a P4 3.0c Northwood. Is that about right for fanless operation in a low airflow system? My thermalpaste may not have been applied in the optimal manner, due to the heatsink popping off the CPU due to my unfamiliarity with putting heatsinks on the P4 bracket.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:20 pm

Shadowknight wrote:Hey MikeC, you never mentioned in the review that during the test of the prescott, when you were running only 1 fan, did you close the blowhole shut? Or just turn the fan off?
IRRC, the top fan was off and a book was atop the hole. But this -- and much more -- will be detailed fully in the P180 review that will be coming in a few days.

oldgeek
Patron of SPCR

Canadian supplier ?

Post by oldgeek » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:20 am

Am interested in the Scythe Ninja 1000.
Trying to find a canadian supplier.
Searched my usual,ADPMods,FrontierPC,Quiet computer,Quiet PC.
No listing,
Thanks

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:44 pm

MikeC wrote:
Shadowknight wrote:Hey MikeC, you never mentioned in the review that during the test of the prescott, when you were running only 1 fan, did you close the blowhole shut? Or just turn the fan off?
IRRC, the top fan was off and a book was atop the hole. But this -- and much more -- will be detailed fully in the P180 review that will be coming in a few days.
Would it be too much trouble to try the above arrangement with the top case fan mounted to the Scythe, top hole blocked, both fans set to low? Or am I just being silly, because only the 3.8GHz P4 has any trouble with the above arrangement anyway? Would any Athlon 64 or cooler Prescott run fine with just the rear fan on low, and no fan on the Scythe?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:40 am

Most of the P180 testing was done with the Rear fan set to low and the top fan off, but open. Temperatures tended to be in the mid-to-high 60s with this configuration, but throttling was only detected once ... when the front fan was installed (and screwing up airflow).

No testing was done with the fan mounted to the Scythe, but a test was done with both fans enabled. This kept the processor to a cool 60°C under full load.

Keep your eyes peeled for the full P180 review for many more details.

arito

Post by arito » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:23 am

I'm trying to buy a Scythe Ninja heat sink, but don't seem to be able to find a place to buy it. Does anyone know a retailer who delivers to Finland (Europe). I did a search with Google and found only three retailers for the heat sink. One of them (Vadim computers) doesn't deliver outside United Kingdom, the second (Perfomance PC's) makes it difficult to order from other countries than US, the third one is somewere in Asia and I can't even read their web page. I also contacted Scythe co. for this a week ago, but haven't got any reply :-(

mb2

Post by mb2 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:44 pm

MikeC wrote:
mb2 wrote:i'm a little dissapointed to not see the Scythe given a chance at true passive operation (ie 0 airflow + no additional/unnecessary heatsources nearby) with a cooler CPU (XP-m, P4-m, P-m, Celeron-M, A64-m, venice a64 or ~2600+ 754 sempron) as it would be very interesting to see which CPUs could actually be passively cooled.. but obviously u didn't have all (any) of those CPUs available :(
This question is interesting but not really that useful. We already know that any <25W CPU can be run without a fan on many good HS. As you move up beyond that power level, ambient temps, case design, etc, become critical.

As for "truly passive operation", it is not a realistic or desirable target. A system with no airflow is not one I recommend for anyone but the most experienced modders; I strongly recommend ANY and ALL homebrew systems to have at least ONE fan in the case to move heat off the motherboard and VGA card. Longevity, reliability and usability are all impared without some forced airflow in modern systems. Even a Panaflo 80L running at virtually inaudible 5~7V is WAY WAY better than no fan at all.
how is it not desireable? all the things usually associated with it (cost, high temps, (therefore) possible shortening of HW life) aren't desireable obviously, but thats not the same thing.

also, today i think it is realistic if u set out to do it;
A pentium-M (or perhaps more of the CPUs i mentioned) system with this HSF (not sure if that is possible due to mounting?), a brick PSU and gigabyte ram-drive thing could give u a silent system with no moving parts. in more practical circumstances with a laptop HDD it would still be fanless (may aswell pull apart a laptop lol). (altough a gigabyte drive with gigabit ethernet to a file server isn't that impracticle for some people)

testing it would also give a better (quantitative) measure of heatsink performance not related to airflow, and also would enable unbiased comparisons of heat production, and dissipation, from various CPUs, as there is a lot of confusion between the AMD and Intel numbers.. (neither are reliable i imagine) ..would also allow you to compare how well heat is reduced with undervolting the various CPUs (i'm sure its not as simple as just decreasing by v^2)
if you could get the maximum speed that a CPU could work at totally fanlessly, then you could have a performance-per-watt type rating

obviously u cant do it without having the processors thou

DanaG

Post by DanaG » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:13 am

Would it be possible to adapt the p4 bracket to Socket A by drilling some holes? I could partly suspend the heatsink from my case with guy wires.

Look at this template:

Edit: Possibly alter this adapter: http://www.overclockers.com/articles604/

I still use my Athlon XP 2400, and since I'm going to start college, I don't NEED an Athlon 64. (I'd rather get the Dell 2005FPW)

due to my cpu socket being vertical, this is the ONLY heatpipe tower that will work front-to-back. See Every tower sink points the wrong direction!. Plus, then I can not duct it and it'll work fine.

P.S. What quiet fan looks good on a window? My LED fan is obnoxious. It seems like all aluminum 80s are ball bearing. I want an LED aluminum blue, low-flow.
Last edited by DanaG on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:39 am

Go to tekgems, they have a yate-loon blue led fan

erikt
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Canadian supplier ?

Post by erikt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:13 pm

oldgeek wrote:Am interested in the Scythe Ninja 1000.
Trying to find a canadian supplier.
Searched my usual,ADPMods,FrontierPC,Quiet computer,Quiet PC.
No listing,
Thanks
Scythe-USA lists QuietPC, Bigfoot Computers, NCIX, and ADPMods
as Canadian suppliers. Try emailing them. The guy I spoke to at QuietPC
said he could probably get them.
erikt

DanaG

Post by DanaG » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:18 pm

I'd actually prefer it to NOT be clear. I want to put an aluminum ripply mesh filter in front of it. I'm currently using the stock blue from my Aspire X-Dreamer II, with a 3-pin soldered on. The shape of the hole is mostly what makes it whistle, since I flipped the window upside down. Originally the fan was over the CPU.

Would a fan like this: http://www.svc.com/aerocool-alum-quad-green.html work? It's sleeve bearing. Perhaps I should start a new thread. I've searched for "aluminum fan" to no avail.

Thet major question, though, is more about the heatsink mounting. Why do they make socket A -> socket 478 heatsink adapters, but not the other way around?

Could I possibly drill holes in this to make it work? http://www.overclockers.com/articles604/
I'd still have to convince my parents to allow me to buy it.

perplex

Post by perplex » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:04 am

does anyone know any UK or EU retailers?

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:02 pm

It looks like it would be possible to mount 2 120mm fans to thi cooler, I'm not sure how much it would boost cooling bbility but I figure it might be worth trying. Anybody want to try it for me? :D

Enjoi

WOW! I Want one.... NOW!

Post by Enjoi » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:33 am

Hey guys im new to this whole forum thingie but ive been reading up on this heatsink and it really seems to be the best air cooling solution for me.

My System Specs:

3500+ Clawhammer core @ 2.37gHz @(53 Celcius! Ideal!!!!!!):twisted:
1gig 2x512 sticks of kingmax 3200 ram :?
Fatal1ty AN8 Mobo (NF4 Ultra) 8)
Lain Li Pc 65 :wink:

If i get some help from the experts...(Yall) im gonna purchace this baby real soon cause i really think running such high temps on a stock voltages and fsb is insane. Also im using the stock heatsink.

What really impresses me about this heatsink is that in passive mode it gets better load temps then my stock cooler gets ideal...nuf said :D

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:00 pm

perplex wrote:does anyone know any UK or EU retailers?
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/

Looks like quietpc can deliver it for UK and worldwide (Which would mean that people from Sweden and Finland can get it too! (No thanks to schythe customer service - they recomended some belgian supplier with a non-english page that still wouldn't ship to scandinavia.. did they think i would travel over a thousand miles just for a heatsink?))

perplex

Re: WOW! I Want one.... NOW!

Post by perplex » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:05 pm

Enjoi wrote: What really impresses me about this heatsink is that in passive mode it gets better load temps then my stock cooler gets ideal...nuf said :D
but different cpu?

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:07 pm

If you're in Sweden or Finland, keeping things cool is hardly a challenge. :)

In fact, here's proof.

Enjoi

Re: WOW! I Want one.... NOW!

Post by Enjoi » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:39 pm

perplex wrote:
Enjoi wrote: What really impresses me about this heatsink is that in passive mode it gets better load temps then my stock cooler gets ideal...nuf said :D
but different cpu?
Yes you are right but i think im not gonna buy that cpu heatsink now.... i think iim gonna go for water cooling. Because i just went to ABC auto parts and bought me a 22$ 1977 pontiac bonniville heater core... its said to be better then a black ice Xtreme II. I really this turns out good for me.

oldgeek
Patron of SPCR

Canadian supplier ?

Post by oldgeek » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:09 am

Erikt in Ottawa
Thanks for your reply to my query.
Will e-mail ADMods,have dealt with them before,good service.
Want Scythe for my Silver P180.Got it yesterday.

Centurion

Post by Centurion » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:56 am

no socket A love? =/

disappointing to those of us with 2-3 year old systems

so what would be a good k7 fanless cooler?

peterson

Post by peterson » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 am

This great article made me order a Ninja heatsink as soon as it was available.
I ordered from QuietPC in UK this monday and got it today. Good work!
I will replace my XP-120 later on and hopefully it can cool the CPU more quietly and perhaps there'll be some betrter airflow inside the case. too :)

btw: it's huge! :shock: And a lot lighter than it looks. :)

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:35 am

make sure you post your impressions versus the xp-120 :)