Asus P5E-VM HDMI: A microATX C2D board for gamers?

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:57 am

m/b not... here's the settings if you want to check:

http://mcoleg.blogspot.com/

thegrommit

Post by thegrommit » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:05 pm

fingers wrote: Well that will never do, I have no plans on running Vista. Does anyone know anything about this or whether there are any plans to update the drivers for XP to support the HDCP for Blueray and HD-DVD ??

Thanks all
link

In short, doesn't look like Intel is going to allow it.

Soup Nazi

Fan Control

Post by Soup Nazi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi guys

I just installed this board last night, I have a question about fan setup

I have been using Asus Q-Fan on another board for about a year, and am quite happy with it, so naturally I set it up on this board as well. The problem is that the board only seems to have one chassis fan connector (with the other being for a pwr connector). Qfan only appears to be controlling the chassis fan. Is there any way to make it control both?

Soup Nazi

Post by Soup Nazi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:20 pm

fingers wrote:Well that will never do, I have no plans on running Vista. Does anyone know anything about this or whether there are any plans to update the drivers for XP to support the HDCP for Blueray and HD-DVD ??

Intel apparently does not consider XP secure enough to protect the integrity of the HDCP copy protection system, so this has been a deliberate decision. If you really want to run XP, give slysoft anydvd HD a try, this is suppose to remove the copy protection on the fly, thus removing the need for HDCP

There is also another problem.. despite the fact that this board provides a HDMI audio solution, that doesn't mean that it can play the new HD audio standards found on Blu Ray and HD DVD.. there is currently no software support for that :(

Actually, I have been able to find no hardware/software combination that can play these standards currently.. I'm going to wait for a hdmi 1.3 audio solution, with software support for bitstreaming before attempting to play blu ray on my htpc

oh, and one other problem with this board that may affect some people (including me - but I can work around it):

If you plan on connectiong this board through an amp, the driver may (depending on the amp) incorrectly read the native screen resolution that gets sent through hdmi. This means that whenever you switch inputs on the amp, the resolution will be automatically (and incorrectly) reset. There is no way to stop this from happening unless you bypass the amp and plug directly into the TV (which will remove the elegance of the integrated HDMI audio video solution, forcing you to use a seperate digital audio cable). This is not such a big deal, since the only thing that you can do with hdmi audio and you can't do with digital coax (which I will be using) is the new HD audio standards, which, as discussed above, can't currently be played with this or any other board.

I think work is underway to fix the drivers, but it seems like it could be a long wait.

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Where can you get the ATX version of this board

Post by wayner » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:57 am

My understanding is that there is also an ATX version of this board that is the P5E-V HDMI - is that correct? I can't seem to find that version at my regular PC shops in Canada, which is a shame. I am building a new PC in an Antec P182 case and why should I use a mATX when my case has plenty of room for an ATX board? Where can you get the ATX version of this board?

microseeker

SATA Port location with large graphics cards.

Post by microseeker » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:58 am

How many of the SATA ports would be covered by a full-length dual-slot graphics card such as the EVGA 512-P3-N845-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92)? From the photos, it appears that ALL of the SATA slots would be blocked by this card.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Lawrence,

I noticed that you did testing on the decoding of HD streams...

Did you do any on encoding streams? Did I just miss it?

I think that some people are interested in using this as an HTPC, and it's nice to know it supports audio over HDMI and that it can handle the decoding very well with any of today's CPUs. But, if you are going to use it as an HTPC to record TV, encoding is just as important as decoding.

If you didn't do any testing on this, is there a way to do it? Or, perhaps you know (or someone on this forum knows) of someone who is using it stock to encode HD 1080i/p video?

Thanks! And great review, by the way, as it was very informative!

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu May 01, 2008 10:47 pm

thetoad30 wrote: I think that some people are interested in using this as an HTPC, and it's nice to know it supports audio over HDMI and that it can handle the decoding very well with any of today's CPUs. But, if you are going to use it as an HTPC to record TV, encoding is just as important as decoding.
As the board cannot capture video, I don't see how encoding can be tested. How well it performs it this regard would be up to the machine's overall horsepower (CPU, RAM, HDD), and the capture card and software used.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:20 am

Lawrence Lee wrote: As the board cannot capture video, I don't see how encoding can be tested. How well it performs it this regard would be up to the machine's overall horsepower (CPU, RAM, HDD), and the capture card and software used.
I know you need an encoder to do this; what I was mainly asking was how it performed as a chipset to encode. I know it differs on the encoder card, but some cards rely more on the board horsepower, as you put it, than other cards. I was more curious on memory transfer rates and the like to support encoding.

I'll start looking at options for an encoding card, though, and try to repost on that card to help narrow down the choices.

Thanks for the quick reply!

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Mon May 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Is anyone able to get onboard video working WITH a PCI-E video card installed?

KingLewing

Post by KingLewing » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:13 am

I just bought this board and the coil whine is unbearable. I've swapped all the other parts except the q6600 SLACR, it's my only cpu.

Maybe I've been unlucky, has anyone else noticed this?

edh

Post by edh » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:20 am

KingLewing wrote:I just bought this board and the coil whine is unbearable. I've swapped all the other parts except the q6600 SLACR, it's my only cpu.

Maybe I've been unlucky, has anyone else noticed this?
Mine has been silent all along. Could just be sample variation although for a board like this you expect the QA to be very high.

niels007

Post by niels007 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:39 pm

I have this board and its going fine, but is there a way to use the onboard graphics *AND* a pci express card at the same time? I'm considering double using my pc as a media center and using HDMI from the onboard graphics to connect a nice HANSS-G 28'' tft which are dirt cheap these days..

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:09 am

I've noticed that this board doesn't do low vcore in the BIOS, only down to 1.1v. I'm considering the P5K-VM, and the BIOS only goes to 1.15vcore, so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not software can bring the P5E-VM lower than the 1.1v BIOS limitation? If so, I'd be curious if the same is possible on the P5K.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:38 am

I recently built a rig for my dad based on this mobo, didn't figure how old it actually already is (not like it would bother me the least bit.)

The parts were this mobo, Q6600 G0, 4 GB of memory, 640 GB -AAKS drive Corsair VX450 and Antec 300 (which I already had around). There's huge amounts of potential in this build, but it serves the purpose of image editing perfectly as it is. I was kinda tempted to make the build as quiet as possible as I also have P180 Mini around, but he wasn't willing to pay the premium so I had to ditch the idea :cry:

Anyway I reckon it still is a decent mATX-motherboard. The X4500 doesn't appear to make any huge differences in desktop 2D use, so with the price of this nicely dropped it's still a nice choice. And for mATX-board it just somehow feels classy... Dunno if it's just me, but I DO like the solid caps and the overall funky quality feel of products and this mobo deffo is one that has the features I like.