Zerotherm Zen FZ120 CPU Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Zerotherm Zen FZ120 CPU Cooler

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:20 pm

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:12 pm

On page 1, the "incompatibility list" includes AMD socket 754. This is wrong. 754 mounts exactly the same way as 939/940, and these three are collectively referred to as "K8" mounting.

It looks as though the AMD clip can be mounted in 90 degree increments, but the clips would be under the fins if blowing at the exhaust fan. It appears mounting would be difficult in that event. Perhaps easier if the mobo is removed from the case?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Mike,
A mounting plate (made of cast steel or aluminum) sits on top of the base, holding everything in place.
A quick check with a magnet would test whether it is steel, or not. I'm guessing that it is cast aluminum, or some other non-ferrous metal.

The cross-flow between the fins must be helpful: the Ninja, and th HR-01 and this HS have it.

loldrup

orientation

Post by loldrup » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Next time you test a heat pipe based cooler, try orientate the motherboard differently to see how it affects heat pipe performance. This might be a weak spot for heat pipes, as they partly depend on gravity forr their operation. Whats the performance gain/loss between mounting it in a tower vs. desktop chassis?
(I'm building a computer where the motherboard is placed upside down, so I would be particular interested in getting some comparison with this particular orientation.. :))

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:30 am

Next time you test a heat pipe based cooler, try orientate the motherboard differently to see how it affects heat pipe performance. This might be a weak spot for heat pipes, as they partly depend on gravity forr their operation.
i doubt there will be much difference. modern heatpipes rely on the internal wicking material to bring the coolant back to the evaporator, not gravity.

tima

Post by tima » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:32 am

Is the FZ120 compatible with the BTF80/90 LGA775 backplate, so that the latter can be replaced with the former?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Is the FZ120 compatible with the BTF80/90 LGA775 back plate, so that the latter can be replaced with the former?
I have the BTF90 and the mounting hardware looks identical so I would think so. You'd have to hope the back plate doesn't "escape" down the back of the motherboard or you'd have to have the motherboard out anyway!
Next time you test a heat pipe based cooler, try orientate the motherboard differently to see how it affects heat pipe performance. This might be a weak spot for heat pipes, as they partly depend on gravity for their operation. Whats the performance gain/loss between mounting it in a tower vs. desktop chassis?
If you take a look at page 4 of the XP-120 review you'll find that SPCR did just this test. The conclusion was that it made no difference, the "wick" in the heatpipe(s) brings the fluid back to the hot end fast enough. I doubt any modern coolers use heatpipes that would have a problem with any orientation.
Regards, Seb

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:14 am

So, if I get this, what Intel CPU do I dare getting with a not so high airflow in my case and running it passive?

I currently have a C2D E4400 and is satisfied with it, but my cousin will be gaming more then me, and he wants me to get something for him so im thinking of getting a easy to install option that runs passive and is great for gaming..

Not sure if this is the best option, so im asking for your opinion. :)
Is is a good buy for me?

Alex230

Post by Alex230 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Sorry for digging out such an old topic ,but i just got myself one of these and i was thinkink what's the best mounting position for it? I have an Antec P183. Should i mount it so the CPU fan blows the air through the top exhaust or rotated 90 deg. so it blows warm air out through the back exhaust?
Thanks

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Sat May 23, 2009 7:34 am

Alex, the advice is to use only one exhaust fan for the case, either the top fan or the rear fan. Then you mount the cooler so that the air flows towards your chosen exhaust vent.

Cheers
Olle

Alex230

Post by Alex230 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Done. I mounted the ZEN 120 so the fan blows the warm air to the rear exhaust. I get about 34 deg. C on Q-Fan mode (PWM) with my E6420 @ 3.0 Ghz. And full load at maximulm 50 deg. C. Pretty good.
Thanks