NesteQ ECS7001 700W PSU: A Modular Twist

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

NesteQ ECS7001 700W PSU: A Modular Twist

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:49 am

NesteQ ECS7001 700W PSU: A Modular Twist - 1st complete test in the hemi-anechoic chamber, including sound recordings.

winguy

Post by winguy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:17 am

Label sure looks similar to Enhance ...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 am

winguy wrote:Label sure looks similar to Enhance ...
You're probably right.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 am

I love the modular cable idea. That makes this PSU truly modular, instead of just a PSU with removable cables. Can you post more photos, and show how this feature could be implemented?

About the missing CSA and UL marks. The ATX specification probably requires these cables to be of a certain length and gauge, but I think there is demand for shorter custom cables in smaller gauge for devices like 2.5" drives that have modest requirements. I've always found standard cables too long and too thick for small cases, and I'd also welcome cables in bright happy colors instead of just black.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Rebellious wrote:I love the modular cable idea. That makes this PSU truly modular, instead of just a PSU with removable cables. Can you post more photos, and show how this feature could be implemented?
Done. See this pic...

...and the explanation on page 2 of the article.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:52 pm

an interesting idea- but a little too chunky and cumbersome for me.

the big question is: will cables still fit behind your average motherboard tray?

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:20 pm

I love the idea of the TRUELY modular cables. but the lack of UL rating is a deal breaker for me.

porkchop - if you use shorter cables with the modular setup, they wont need to be stuffed behind your motherboard tray. they will be exactly long enough with no slack.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:03 pm

but some cases are designed for behind mobo cable routing, like the p180- granted these cases usually have extra space for cables.

then there are people like me, who cut holes into their cases to hide cables- in which case space is very limited.

i guess my question before wasn't so much a question but a statement: these modular cables make behind motherboard cable routing more difficult, or impossible.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:31 pm

point taken there - the large plugs will be very difficult to route through conventional holes. or will require the DIY person to make larger holes.

If I were to use such a setup I would be looking for the shortest possible cables so I dont spend so much time trying to bundle up the extraneous wires into something that looks decent.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:48 pm

I prefer normal cables without any fancy gimmickery like sleeves. a few zipties and they practically disappear because they fold a lot better than sleeved cables usually do. Also a black hole immidiately swallows any modular cables not currently in use, and they are never to be found again ;)
porkchop - if you use shorter cables with the modular setup, they wont need to be stuffed behind your motherboard tray. they will be exactly long enough with no slack.
The idea behind routing the cables behind the mobo tray is to get the cables out of sight and out of the airflow path. Then you use a ziptie or two to tighten any slack / unused wires into a tight bunch. Neat and tidy. :P

XIUYAN1

Post by XIUYAN1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 am

Hello to everyone.I'm new to this forum .I heard goods things about it.