Atom energy efficiency champ: Intel D945GSEJT w/ Morex T1610

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
batka

Post by batka » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:59 am

Hi folks!

Is the Intel D945GSEJT board with the ATOM powerful enough for DVD burning?

I considered this board for 3 purposes mainly:
- Running Squeezebox Server.
- Browsing the net occasionally. No need to display flash contents, I block them anyway.
- and sometimes to read and burn a DVD with an external DVD writer.

Is it powerful enough for that purpose? How it compares to a PIII 800MHz PC?

Thanks in advance
batka

MtnHermit

Post by MtnHermit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 am

batka

Post by batka » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:30 am

Hi!
Thanks for the link! I run it through. That article concludes that Atom 230 (which is almost same as Atom N270) is weaker than a P4 Northwood.

However I can see that for lightweight applications it should be adequate enough.

Somebody writes this:
The way I look at it, the N270 is a Northwood core P4 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB) with a bus speed of the Celeron 4xx core and the HyperThreading of the later Prescotts.

Northwood core + Prescott HT + Celeron 4xx bus speed = N270 Atom.

Compared to the Northwood P4 in my Linux server box, the N270 performs much better probably due to the higher bus speed and the addition of HT.
In my case, I have a Pentium PIII Coppermine 800EB MHz. If I just compare the raw specs with the Atom N270, I get the followings:

Atom N270:
Clock: 1600 Mhz
FSB: 533 MHz
L2 Cache: 512 kB
Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
HyperThread

Intel PIII Coppermine 800EB:
Clock: 800 MHz
FSB: 133 MHz
L2 Cache: 256 kB
Instructions: MMX, SSE only
No HyperThread!

So it looks by number the Atom N270 should be even better than a PIII 800Mhz, if I just counts these raw numbers..... That's pretty good!
:D

Headcase_Fargone

Post by Headcase_Fargone » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:00 am

I recently picked up one of these boards and the power supply question is vexing me.

I'm looking to run two 3.5" Samsung 5400rpm low power drives along with a CF adapter in the IDE slot. My concern is that the 60W external AC adapter won't be enough for this configuration, at least during initial spin-up.

Is anyone running such a configuration? The CF adapter's power draw is negligible so I'm not sure that's even worth mentioning.

My only alternative I can think of is shorting the pins on the 24pin connector on my mini ITX PSU (to force it to stay on) and using the internal 12v 4pin header. Not exactly ideal...

tramall

Post by tramall » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi

I have got question regarding this board: Can I install mini pci-e SSD in mainboard slot ? Will it work ? Could not find anything about that on Internet.

Thanks

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm

tramall wrote:Hi

I have got question regarding this board: Can I install mini pci-e SSD in mainboard slot ? Will it work ? Could not find anything about that on Internet.

Thanks
I'm certain that's one of the original uses of the mini pci-e slot.

tramall

Post by tramall » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:46 pm

MikeC wrote:
tramall wrote:Hi

Thanks
I'm certain that's one of the original uses of the mini pci-e slot.
I am honored to get such a quick reply , but:

Germans say it does not work :http://support.sundtek.com/index.php?topic=316.0 - second last reply on that page.

Intel forum say the same: http://communities.intel.com/message/35 ... 0.node7COM

And those guys have something to say but can not understand single word : http://www.es-works.net/pc/708.html

It looks that I have to check it hard way (simply buying mini pci-e SSD) . I can get cheap 16GB SSD from Dell Mini 9. Maybe it depends on SSD brand and PATA or SATA controller ?

I am just bit confused. On the other hand we should have heard about that kind of installs if there where any (car pc , silent computing)

Straight from Supertalent FAQ :

" Could I use netbook SSDs (Mini PCIe card or Half Mini PCIe card) on other Netbooks other than Asus, Dell and Acer?"

No. Super Talent Netbook SSDs are exclusively designed for those compatible Netbooks listed online. We don’t provide support for compatibility issues of our SSD on other Netbooks.

WTF ?

cocooner

D945GSEJT standby power?

Post by cocooner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 am

Hi, all.
I want to know D945GSEJT's exactly standby power.
I can't find this information in Intel spec. document.

So, i tested myself.
To test, I used 12V 2A AC Adaptor.

First, i tested with Kill-A-Watt

[result]
Standby Power, AC Adaptor only: 0Watt
Standby Power, with board: Just 0~1Watt

But, Kill-A-Watt can't measure.decimal point.
So, I used other product similar to Kill-A-Watt.
It can represent two decimal places.

[result]
Standby Power, AC Adaptor only: 0.7Watt
Standby Power, with board: 1.4Watt

But, i know that D945GSEJT board's standby power is just <1W, according to this article. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article987-page4.html

What is correct?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:25 am

cocooner --

Your question made me go back and examine my notes. It was originally tested with a Power Angel, which doesn't have great accuracy at low loads. I just rechecked using a much higher accuracy AC meter -- 0.9W AC w/ just the adapter into AC; 2.4W with the board/pc off or in standby. The exact results will depend on the AC adapter. (original article has been updated with this info)

Why is this so important?

cocooner

Post by cocooner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:31 am

MikeC wrote:cocooner --

Your question made me go back and examine my notes. It was originally tested with a Power Angel, which doesn't have great accuracy at low loads. I just rechecked using a much higher accuracy AC meter -- 0.9W AC w/ just the adapter into AC; 2.4W with the board/pc off or in standby. The exact results will depend on the AC adapter. (original article has been updated with this info)

Why is this so important?
It just my curiosity. :-)
Yes, you're right. Standby power will depend on AC adapter.
I also tested 12V 3.3A AC adaptor.
I have a old version d945gsejt. Its standby power is about 2.4W+
But, recent version of d945gsejt's standby power is 1.8W+.

Anyway, comparisons power consumption is correct?
I tested d945gsejt on other test states and its power consumption is higher than article..(ex. idle: 13~14.xWatt) when i just added USB Flash module on board without hard drive....

leem

Re: Atom energy efficiency champ: Intel D945GSEJT w/ Morex T

Post by leem » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Anyone have experiences with the BIOS fan control on this board

The BIOS can control fan speed, although options are limited to setting the minimum fan speed to 'low' or 'off'. I've heard that with the minimum fan speed set to 'off', the system allows the CPU to get pretty hot before ramping up the fan speed. Bit concerned that this may be a problem, be interested to hear if anyone has had bad experiences...

cheers :)