Antec P100 Case: Performance One on a Budget

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Antec P100 Case: Performance One on a Budget

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 pm

quest_for_silence

Re: Antec P100 Case: Performance One on a Budget

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:22 am

Thank you mr. Lee, well done.

Xyvotha

Post by Xyvotha » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:25 am

Nice article Lawrence!
As you say, definitely no good for a performance pc, but interesting enough for a budget/server system. I've been an incurable Antec fan for many years so perhaps my opinion is highly biased :mrgreen:

Kyhtael

Post by Kyhtael » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:21 pm

how hard would it be to include data with all or an optimal number of the fan slots filled in future reviews?

kater

Post by kater » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:01 am

Thanks for yet another quality review. I've hade P150 for, well, almost forever, and I do like Antec stuff, but I think it's time to give some other manufacturer a chance. I guess it'll be Fractal, most likely R5. Or, depending on the budget, Obsidian 550D. Yeah, a different price point, but these two seem to just offer so much more.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:55 pm

A step down in quality from the previous P cases, but for the price it's an excellent case.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Kyhtael wrote:how hard would it be to include data with all or an optimal number of the fan slots filled in future reviews?
What do you mean by optimal? Optimal is usually 2~4 fans for our test configuration. Do you mean fill them all? What fans do we use? Wouldn't that change the entire sound of the case? Is it fair to expensive cases that ship with more fans when they end up getting outperformed by cheaper cases with only 1 fan included because we added extra fans? What about cases where it's ambiguous as to what orientation the fans should be placed? I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:55 pm

Lawrence Lee wrote:I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Nonetheless, sir, his point is not that groundless.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:49 am

way too many opinions of what optimal would be.
to me optimal would be with one or two fans max, with the rest of the ports blocked off.

-but im happy any-which-way the SPCR crew can do their reviews simply and efficiently .

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:01 am

xan_user wrote:way too many opinions of what optimal would be.

I agree on that.

Then testing with all the slots populated could be a meaningful option: I mean, taking some ballpark estimates about either the expected maximum fan noise, or the expected minimum fan noise level when all the fans were up and running (though I also understand mr. Lee might not agree, due to the not negligible, additional amount of working to carry out a case review).

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:21 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:... testing with all the slots populated could be a meaningful option: ....
you want him to test it with 6 case fans????!!! you do know this is SPCR, right? :roll:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:03 pm

xan_user wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:... testing with all the slots populated could be a meaningful option: ....
you want him to test it with 6 case fans????!!! you do know this is SPCR, right? :roll:

xan, did you know that Mike and Lawrence recently tested a full loop WC? And that Mike promised a new article with another custom WC but for a SLI pair? And why the heck Fractal drilled so many fan mounts on their Define S! :wink:

Did you note that at least three people asked how to quietly cool an hot LGA2011 in the past few days? And in a year, how many people ask how to quietly cool a SLI on air, here at SPCR? Those are probably the ones who may actually be interested in testing a case with more fans (maybe the ones who think 30dB is quietish, and 20dB is inaudible, still they want their slice of quietness).

BTW, I have systems with 9 (nine) fans which are about as quiet as my personal Solo with just 3 fans (heatsink, exhaust, PSU): it's all a matter of noise floor and personal expectations. :wink:

ConfuciusTse

Post by ConfuciusTse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:04 am

Longtime lurker here but wanted to thank you for this review. Just built a "relatively" quiet P100 for the wife. Matches nicely with my own P180 I've had forever through multiple builds. I stuck both OEM fans in the front panel and put an old quiet Scythe in the rear and a silent Noctua on the top. I'm sure the case is not "silent" with four fans but it's still below my noise floor so everybody is happy.