Timeline of my second quiet PC buildup! New link to pics!!!

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:52 pm

You use Ballistix memory, have you realized by now that they become extremely hot? Mine errored in Memtest86 until I stuck a CPU heatsink onto the memory, after that all was fine. So is your memory memtest86 stable? Does your memory run hot?

Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:09 pm

As a reply to the above, I recently had one stick of my RAM fail. I ran memtest on each stick individually and the other one is fine. But yes...they do run HOT. The included heat spreaders may not to a good enough job. What kind of heatsink did you use on yours?

I also posted a link in the first post of this thread to a gallery of all the pics, so its easier to find. I reorganized my gallery and didnt feel like re-posting the updated links. :P

PC is still running strong and quiet! I broke down and put the front panel USB in so I can plug my thumb drive in without having to reach behind the machine. :) It may stay...it may not.

ALmost time for a new PC though. :) After I decide on, and buy a laptop, my next rig will be a rackmount design. I have to decide what else will go in the rack first but it should be cool. It wont have to be super quiet because it will be in a remote location when its in its final home, but I will do my best.

Anyone know the length limitations of USB cables? Could I run a 75-100' run for a kb/mouse ok?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:56 pm

Audiophiliac wrote:Anyone know the length limitations of USB cables? Could I run a 75-100' run for a kb/mouse ok?
The Maximum length is 5m, if i remember rightly.

Audiophiliac

UPDATE: 1-24-07

Post by Audiophiliac » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:28 pm

Well since the last update (adding a HD and replacing a bad RAM stick), there have been a couple problems. :(

My Plextor 716SA bit it. I think I helped it. I use EAC to burn CDs, and when it finishes a project, it ejects and reloads the disc. Well one time, as it ejected, habit set in, and I grabbed the disc before it closed and realized there was no disc. And that was the end of it. Not sure what exactly would cause that. It would read discs but not burn them anymore. I communicated with Plextor and they had no answer. So I took the 708 out of my other machine and its working fine.

Then, this morning, the Antec Phantom 350 bought the farm. My fault again. I bought a new desk and the PC sits in an enclosed cabinet. I have been meaning to drill ventilation holes, and have procrastinated too long. Got too hot in there and it croaked. So I think I will replace it with the new Zalman 600HP or the Nexus 5000.

I noticed the photo album link on the first page is not working. The host site seems to be down....hopefully not for good.

Anyway, Ill try and check the forums more often. Later!

Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Back again. No real news. I had to replace the RAM again...not sure if the first 2 were a bad batch...but all seems well. Crucial stands by their memory and sent me 2 new sticks without any questions.

I still havent upgraded the PSU....the Nexus seems to be happy. I dont see myself doing another build for a while. This PC will see less use, as I just purchased a Sony TZ150 laptop....and I plan on purchasing an iMac next year sometime. I may return and do another super silent build one day. But this one keeps truckin along so i see no need to replace it yet.