My complete silent rig (more pix coming)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Reyn

My complete silent rig (more pix coming)

Post by Reyn » Tue May 17, 2005 9:23 pm

I have finally finished this rig for my mum, it is pretty much complete silent, you won't be able to hear a thing even with both side panels opened UNLESS you stick your ear inside the case then you can hear the wine sound of the HDD given it's a low rmp 40GB.

Since it's so quiet, I have decided to have both side panels removed to improve air flow, after all, the whole computer has no fans.

Spec:

P4 2.8Ghz Northwood, no HT (Thermaltake Rocket fanless cooling)
512MB Generic 400mhz DDR RAM
40GB 7200rmp HDD
Geforce 4 MX-440 (Passive heat sink cooling)
Antec Phantom 350w fanless PSU

I will however add a Panaflo 80mm low speed case fan and undervolt it to 7v once summers comes JUST IN CASE if the phantom can't take it.

Here are some pics:

No more this junk:

Last edited by Reyn on Thu May 19, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yeha

Post by yeha » Tue May 17, 2005 9:38 pm

congrats on making peace with a silencing project! :)

though you could always suspend and enclose that hard drive..... (and the cycle continues)

Reyn

Post by Reyn » Tue May 17, 2005 9:41 pm

yeha wrote:though you could always suspend and enclose that hard drive..... (and the cycle continues)
I don't know if I gona be bothered since it's already extremely silent

Edit:

hi yeha, nice to see you here! :D

rei

Post by rei » Tue May 17, 2005 10:11 pm

(wave)

hi yeha, haven't been to sudian a while myself

yeha

Post by yeha » Tue May 17, 2005 10:51 pm

i remember you asked about quiet fans on ocforums of all places :) i'm glad you've found a system that'll keep your parents happy. looks to be a very good system too.

unfortunately looking up australian retailers got me a bit homesick - it's been 3 years since i headed to the usa, haven't been back home in the meantime. now i have so many friends in both countries i'm not sure where i'll end up settling down :?

now after all this effort put into the computer your parents use, what about your own?

Reyn

Post by Reyn » Tue May 17, 2005 11:20 pm

yeha wrote:now after all this effort put into the computer your parents use, what about your own?
I was working on my own like last months, i did post a thread about it in ocforum.

here's my own rig:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=374279

Spec:

AMD Athlon64 3000+ s939 Winchester @ 210x9
Gigabyte K8NS-939 Ultra
Geil 1GB dual Channel DDR-3200 Kit @ 420Mhz
Powercolour Radeon X800Pro vivo
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Digital
200GB Seagate 7200rmp HDD
Ultra X-Connect 500w modular PSU
Thermaltake BigWater liquid cooling system
Thermaltake Shark Full Tower

yeha

Post by yeha » Tue May 17, 2005 11:38 pm

nice! i don't frequent that particular part of the forum - i'm not normally a fan of anything that isn't utilitarian, but that's a very nice-looking computer!

Reyn

Post by Reyn » Tue May 17, 2005 11:46 pm

yeha wrote:nice! i don't frequent that particular part of the forum - i'm not normally a fan of anything that isn't utilitarian, but that's a very nice-looking computer!
the photos there are actually pretty bad, I didn't know how to use my digi cam properly back then. And as you can see, the cables are VERY messy in there, I fixed it a week after that before I started working on my mum's comp. It looks ALOT better now, all the messy wiring are tucked away behind the motherboard tray between the side panel. NO CABLE CLUTTER AT ALL.

Just can't be bothered to take photos because my own room is VERY MESSY.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: My complete silent rig

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed May 18, 2005 5:19 am

Reyn wrote:Thermaltake Rocket fanless cooling
"I thought for a second about what kind of witty comment I could make but then I decided that thing speaks for itself." :mrgreen:

rei

Post by rei » Wed May 18, 2005 6:03 am

isn't carpet bad though?

Reyn

Post by Reyn » Wed May 18, 2005 7:18 pm

I covered the interior with foam, not acoustic foam, just normal anti static foam. It really helped in reducing the pump sending vibration to the rest of the cases.

matva

Post by matva » Mon May 30, 2005 2:36 pm

I have to congratulate on this fine piece of work. Definitely one of the better rigs I have seen.

Well done.

:)

balonglong_1979

Post by balonglong_1979 » Tue May 31, 2005 3:22 am

Hi Reyn,

I was looking at some reviews of the Rocket, and came across this:-

Just installed one of these. There appears to be a design problem. They have designed a clamp to hold in the refill stopper, presumably to stop it blowing off. A couple of reviews have mentioned additional clips for two unused outlets on the pump (more later). Apparently if you don't fit these the caps blow off when the system heats up. No instructions to that effect, but fortunately I read the reviews before mine got too hot. However, after a couple of hours of working and with the temperature up to 46 C the pump itself gave out under the pressure. Clearly the top half is just a refill reservoir and not intended to take pressure. Putting the clamp on the plug transferred the problem to the extra outlets. Putting the clamps on the outlets trandferred the problem to the next weakest link, the glued joint at the top. It's the weekend and I need to keep going so I have temporarily put some silicon on the leaking joint, and added a reservoir tank, (like the overflow tank on a car) with a tube leading from one of the extra outlets, this seems to have solved the problem at least in an untidy way as there are no longer pools of coolant in the bottom of my case.
Cooling wise it's fine it brought down the temperature from 53 to 46 and the sound of the fan is gone (the pump is virtually inaudible).

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthre ... post312756

Just wondering if your unit shows any symptoms of this problem? Thanks in advance for your reply.