The Sounds of Silence

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

StarfishChris

The Sounds of Silence

Post by StarfishChris » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:00 am

Finally, a computer I'm happy with (acoustically). Now if only I can sort out that CRT buzz...

Introducing 'Paul Simon':

"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed
In the wells of silence

CPU: Athlon 64 3200+, Venice core. 2.0GHz at 1.1v, since I can't go lower I can only go faster from here :) Cooled by Thermaltake Sonic Tower (fanless)
MB: ASUS A8V Deluxe
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 9600 (passive!)
RAM: 2 x 512MB Crucial
HD0: Seagate 7200.7 80GB, mounted on Sorbothane for quiet seeks
HD1: Maxtor (unknown) 20GB. Whines and for testing/backup only; is switched off by Windows
CD0: Lite-on CD-RW. Complete with jet engine sound effects.
CD1: Early Hitachi DVD-ROM. Also with jet engine sound effects, but only when reading a CD.
VDU: Samsung SyncMaster 17" CRT with flat screen. It whines faintly, which neatly covers up any noise from the PC itself.
CASE: Antec Sonata with some mods and covered with MuteMat Plus damping material
PSU: Seasonic SS-300GS 300W PSU, with two fan mod - Panaflo FBL L1As running at 5v

Diagram and (assumed!) airflow path is here. It shows some of the stuff I've done better than explaining it here.

A noisy slot blower fan at 12v, but inaudible below 30%. It's controllable via SpeedFan, connected to the chassis fan socket.

Looking down the back. Case grille cut and replaced. Cutting the PSU grille will be of little benefit, the air isn't exactly rushing through it, and it stops people sticking their hands inside and dying.

This is why case doors are invented! MuteMat was placed in the door which really muffles the harsh drive sounds, as well as keeping dust out (hopefully! time will tell).

Temperatures using the Sonic Tower are 40°C while folding and with the stock case fan at 30%. (The heatsink is comfortably warm to the touch.) Considering an ambient of 22°, that means lots of headroom for overclocking. I'm going to try it soon and see where I get to, stopping at 25% if it's still stable.

Right now my monitor is making more noise than the computer. If I turn it off, the computer becomes faintly audible, along with internal organs etc. 8)

Edit: The filter is in place and catches a lot of dust. Antec holes are blocked by mutemat, which was also placed on the bezel behind the dust filter. It has about the same effect on the hard disks as the drive door on the CDs. I made sure that it didn't block the vents - also, they were left stock which causes turbulence when fans are at 100% (i.e. only on startup). However at the slow speeds they run at the bezel mod simply isn't necessary.
Last edited by StarfishChris on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:28 am

Nice Chris! 8)

When I started coming here, I always thought "these SPCR guys have loud whining monitors" :D When you can hear your monitor, I think you're in a pretty good spot.

The Greek

Post by The Greek » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:02 pm

Nice! It seems alot of people put noise dampening foam in their case doors, not just me :lol:

CD/DVD drives are noisy!

And your "assumed" airflow path looks correct to me... I think your PSU should stay plenty cool!

And as for the CRT buzz, there is really no way to fix that other than to get a better monitor. Mine doesn't buzz (Orion 17" flat CRT).

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:21 pm

8)

Did a very similar thing with/for a friend of mine 18months ago... he's still over the moon.

Hope you remain as happy with yours, it looks good. :D

Pete

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:59 am

so did the mutemat do a good job? I mean besides silencing the cd drives?

edit: forget my question, i read your post in the mutemat thread