My New Antec P180! With Excellent Cable Management

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:25 pm

dynamiks wrote:I also have two of these fans. But this is ridiculously low amount of airflow. Thats why I decided not to even use them. Might as well not even use a fan.

http://www.svc.com/saf-s12-e1-19.html
I have one on my XP-120 on a Winchester 3200+. Worked pretty well in my Centurion 5 case when temperature was cooler. Still doing OK in the P180 in summer, though I suspect the 2 exhaust fans around it is starving it of air.

Yggdrasill

Post by Yggdrasill » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:25 pm

Very nice dynamiks, I can't wait until I get my P180, they're supposed to get them in stock tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. :?

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:36 pm

my Zalman VF700 VGA cooler came in today, I will be posting some pictures later on of it installed, for anyone who wishes to see. This thing is so quiet, my case is soooo much more quiet now that I got rid of that stock 6800U cooler.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:33 pm

Okay here are some updated pics I took today. I installed my new Zalman VF-700 VGA cooler, and it is EXCELLENT. I have it running at 5v along with the V7000B and they both are very quiet. I'm so glad to have gotten rid of that OEM 6800U cooler, that thing was insanely loud.

Anyway guys enjoy the pics, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Wex

Post by Wex » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:46 pm

Jeez that is one damn nice setup. IMO you need a window on the side of your case to show off the insanely nice job you did. Too bad there arn't windows available for this case. Wish there were. :?
Last edited by Wex on Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:12 pm

prego_lala wrote:omg turn off those fan led lights
unless you're gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)
WTF? Are you 12 years old or something? You are calling me gay because I have LED fans. Did it ever occur to you that maybe I like them? Not everyone has the same taste. Unlike alot of people here, blue LED's don't bother me, I actually think they look nice.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:13 pm

I just ordered a Sunbeam fan controller to keep the case even more quiet. Because unlike alot of people, I need my fans running at full speed alot of the time becuase I play games. So to keep it quiet all the time would require me running all the fans at 5v all the time, which is not so good for when I'm gaming. So I opted for the fan controller, to get it pretty much dead silent when im not gaming.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:23 am

WoW. Very impressive build.

I think seeing what you did with this case and knowing what PSU you did NOT have any trouble with has convinced me to take the dive and get this case for my new build. Thanks for that. :)

One Question for ya, Dynamiks. Does the PSU come with that mesh around the cabling? Or did you do some personal modding to the PSU to get it to look so nice? I just really like how neat the cables themselves (along with the connectors) look on the PSU.

Great pics!
Last edited by Mystr_Byrnz on Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:48 am

dynamiks - great cabling skill. :D

Totally OT and I may be wrong, but I thought the 2 sticks of ram were supposed to be on the same color ram slot to give dual channel. :?:

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:55 am

One more thing. I may have missed it elsewhere, but. . .how are your temps at idle and full load?

I'm building a gaming rig and those numbers are pretty important to me. Not just how loud it is.

Thanks!

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:26 pm

Mystr_Byrnz wrote:One more thing. I may have missed it elsewhere, but. . .how are your temps at idle and full load?

I'm building a gaming rig and those numbers are pretty important to me. Not just how loud it is.

Thanks!
Air Condition On - 77F in my room
Voltage on CPU set at 1.550V in BIOS

Idle - Fan Speed High (12v)
CPU-24-29C
System-34C
GPU-59C

Load - Fan Speed High (12v)
CPU-36-40C
System-35C
GPU-69C

Idle - Fan Speed Low (5v)
CPU-30-32C
System-36C
GPU-62C

5v fan speeds @ full load are too dangerous, so I did not test those with my overclocked settings, since Prime95 would crash when ever I set it really low on my fan controller. I will only run really low fan speeds when I sleep and surf the web, since even at full 12v it still isn't really loud.

All fan speeds were controlled by my new Sunbeam fan controller. I have all fans hooked up to it besides the intake fan in front of my hard drives. That fan is permanently set to 5v. The fans I have connected are both the top and rear 120mm exhaust fans, the CPU fan, the GPU fan, and the Chipset fan.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:27 am

WoW. I expected much higher temps.

Thanks for the response. now I reallly can't wait to get my machine built. :)

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:39 pm

First of all, very good job cable routing, I like everything you've done here except the LED fans and the zalman heatsink (a Ninja could have been a potentially better choice IMHO).
dynamiks wrote: Image
This is a really funny pic. Instead of focusing on what's in the middle of the picture, the camera decided to focus on the background you can see through that tiny hole at the bottom. WTF?

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:07 pm

Mar. wrote:First of all, very good job cable routing, I like everything you've done here except the LED fans and the zalman heatsink (a Ninja could have been a potentially better choice IMHO).
This is a really funny pic. Instead of focusing on what's in the middle of the picture, the camera decided to focus on the background you can see through that tiny hole at the bottom. WTF?
Well the Blue LED fans and the Zalman are both recycled from my previous case which was the CM Stacker. When I got my Zalman that Ninja wasn't even out yet, and I'm not about to buy one now, its not worth it IMHO. As far as the Blue LED fans go, I figure I might as well keep them cause it matches well with the rest of the scheme on my case. Everything has blue lights. The Power LED, HDD LED, the LED's on the Fan controller, and the LED on the PSU. And I just ordered a Antec Phantom 500 today to replace the Coolermaster unit I already have, and that has a blue Cathode. So basically I didn't feel like spending any extra money on fans, and decided to keep the ones I have now.

Oh yea and I just noticed how the camera took focus of the rug, beneath the case, lol.. That's weird.

BTW here are some pics of my old case, from a few weeks ago.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:26 pm

Hey guys I just checked my system temps with MBM5 and MSI Core Center, and both are telling me my system is at 19C-20C and CPU is at 37-39C... Meanwhile nVidia System Utility tells me these temps..

CPU-24-29C
System-34C
GPU-59C

I don't even know which to believe... :-\

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:15 am

I've run into that same situation on my current rig.

I'm never sure what to believe as the real temps because different utilities tell different temps. Is there one utility that's found to be more realiable than others?

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:56 am

The BIOS tends to be the most reliable method, though it is not always accurate, and is hardly convenient.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:45 am

Yes, I have used recycled parts too. In fact, I'm using a cobbled-together system made from old parts right now, while I wait for a replacement heatsink.

I doubt switching from the zalman to the ninja would be worth the money, so you're probably best sticking with what you have.

And if you get tired of the LEDs, you can usually cut them off the fans; I did that once.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:49 pm

dynamiks wrote:Hey guys I just checked my system temps with MBM5 and MSI Core Center, and both are telling me my system is at 19C-20C and CPU is at 37-39C... Meanwhile nVidia System Utility tells me these temps..

CPU-24-29C
System-34C
GPU-59C

Like in Rocky IV, pick the one in the middle....

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:02 pm

Mar. wrote:
dynamiks wrote:Hey guys I just checked my system temps with MBM5 and MSI Core Center, and both are telling me my system is at 19C-20C and CPU is at 37-39C... Meanwhile nVidia System Utility tells me these temps..

CPU-24-29C
System-34C
GPU-59C

Like in Rocky IV, pick the one in the middle....
I figured out what it was... MBM5 was reading a different sensor than nvidia and core center was... Now that I changed it, they all read the same temps.

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:30 pm

ultraboy wrote: Totally OT and I may be wrong, but I thought the 2 sticks of ram were supposed to be on the same color ram slot to give dual channel. :?:
You are correct.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:36 am

nyu3 wrote:
ultraboy wrote: Totally OT and I may be wrong, but I thought the 2 sticks of ram were supposed to be on the same color ram slot to give dual channel. :?:
You are correct.
Actually he is wrong... Not totally wrong, but wrong in this case. On my motherboard Dual Channel does not go by color. The memory actually has to be side by side. My memory is in dual channel right now, it is not installed improperlly.

NanPatterson

PSU

Post by NanPatterson » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:16 am

Do you think the ATX12v from a S12-500 would fit under the motherboard the same as the power supply you used?

dynamiks

Re: PSU

Post by dynamiks » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:26 am

NanPatterson wrote:Do you think the ATX12v from a S12-500 would fit under the motherboard the same as the power supply you used?
No. It is too short, you would need an extension.

NanPatterson

Post by NanPatterson » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:32 am

Do you think that would have any effect on the voltage?

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:55 am

dynamiks wrote:Actually he is wrong... Not totally wrong, but wrong in this case. On my motherboard Dual Channel does not go by color. The memory actually has to be side by side. My memory is in dual channel right now, it is not installed improperlly.
The Abit AN7 is the same way... Why do they do that? If I hadn't read the manual, I may have been confused, since that was the first dual-channel-able mobo I ever owned....

Goo

Post by Goo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:58 am

While it might look nice, wouldn't lights inside a PC contribute to heat inside the case? Just curious.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:16 am

Goo wrote:While it might look nice, wouldn't lights inside a PC contribute to heat inside the case? Just curious.
LED's do not get hot. So there is no worries of it heating up the inside of the case. Neither do cold cathodes (even though I don't have any installed). Cold Cathodes are designed to run cool, I dunno how they do it, but the light emitted from them does not get hot at all. I used to run 2 of them in my old Stacker.

But I am currently waiting for replacement fans anyway. I ordered 5 orange Yate Loon D12SL-12's from Tekgems. I'm gonna use one of them to replace my power supply fan, and the other 4 will be placed in my case. 2 for intake, and 2 for exhaust. All will be hooked to my fan controller for optimal silence when the PC is idle, or not using CPU intensive tasks.

NanPatterson

Post by NanPatterson » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:44 pm

Hate to keep being a stickler but does anyone know if there is a difference between that and the D12BL-12 in the recommend list?