Tualreon-based server

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

QuietMind
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:49 am

Post by QuietMind » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:54 pm

dinde wrote:quietmind, isnt the zalman quieter than the nexus?
I don't have experience with either of them but made my decision based on the recommended PSU list, which rates the Nexus as an 8 and the Zalman a 7 on a scale of 1-10.
Ralf Hutter wrote:I tested four fans before I settled on the 5-volted 92mm L1A. I tried a 120mm L1A, 92mm L1A, 80mm L1A and that 18cfm NMB fan. I tried them at 5 and 7 volts. The best combination of very low noise and just a little airflow was the 5-volted 92mm L1A. I'm glad I didn't cut out the grill because it gave me a place to mount the fan.
Thanks, Ralf, that clears up my confusion.

viktor
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:48 pm
Location: italy

Post by viktor » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:03 am

Ciao Ralf.
i have bought the SLK3700AMB after reading your great experiences about this case (you have a great responsability on new sales of antec :D ).
i agree with you about the noise of the stock psu included: i don't have now a lot of money to buy another quiet psu (don't worry, i don't ask you for that) and so i must use the antec smartpower.
there is a metod to reduce the noise (eg. stop one fan) of this psu?
how is the difference between the truepower and smartpower psu that you have heard?
many thanks and have a good easter.
byez, viktor

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Posts: 8636
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:41 am

viktor wrote:Ciao Ralf.
i have bought the SLK3700AMB after reading your great experiences about this case (you have a great responsability on new sales of antec :D ).
i agree with you about the noise of the stock psu included: i don't have now a lot of money to buy another quiet psu (don't worry, i don't ask you for that) and so i must use the antec smartpower.
there is a metod to reduce the noise (eg. stop one fan) of this psu?
how is the difference between the truepower and smartpower psu that you have heard?
many thanks and have a good easter.
byez, viktor
1)You can mod the PSU by following the directions in this article from the SPCR main site. Be very careful if you're messing around inside an open PSU, you can get hurt!

2)The SmartPower is noticeably louder than the TruePower. If you're thinking about getting a TruePower I'd suggest looking at the Recommended PSU's article on the main site. You could go with something like a Nexus or a SilenX which are another level quieter than the TruePower PSU.
Main Box: Intel i3-3225, Intel DH77EB, 16GB Corsair RAM, 256GB Samsung 830, SS360GP PSU, CM PS07 case.
Music Server: Intel DH77EB + i3-3220, 2xSamsung 2TB F4, Pico PSU, Fractal Define Mini, 2xScythe Fans @250 rpm.

viktor
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:48 pm
Location: italy

Post by viktor » Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:36 am

ralf wrote:
You could go with something like a Nexus or a SilenX which are another level quieter than the TruePower PSU.

thanks ralf for the tips.
do you know where i can buy in italy or in europe this performing psu and the entusiastic panaflo?
mine google research don't make me positive answers.
byez, viktor

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 809
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: London, UK

Post by ez2remember » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:30 pm

try ebay.co.uk and search for panaflo.

£6 in the UK, but if you email him I am pretty sure he can post to you.

Pretty cheap to post fans, not so heavy.
Asus V6VA, Pentium M 2.13Ghz (AS5 & Undervolted 0.700v - 1.100v), 2GB DDR2 533 Dual Channel, 15.1" SXGA+ IPS & Glossy (prob best screen on any notebook), ATi X700, 80GB Hitachi 7200rpm 8MB Cache, DVD Multi Drive, XP Pro, ~2.5kg with 8 Cell battery, less with 4 Cell.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Posts: 8636
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:04 am

viktor wrote:ralf wrote:
You could go with something like a Nexus or a SilenX which are another level quieter than the TruePower PSU.

thanks ralf for the tips.
do you know where i can buy in italy or in europe this performing psu?

mine google research don't make me positive answers.
byez, viktor
Search here at the forums for "Nexus". I think the company's in the Netherlands so there may well be European distribution.
Main Box: Intel i3-3225, Intel DH77EB, 16GB Corsair RAM, 256GB Samsung 830, SS360GP PSU, CM PS07 case.
Music Server: Intel DH77EB + i3-3220, 2xSamsung 2TB F4, Pico PSU, Fractal Define Mini, 2xScythe Fans @250 rpm.

Post Reply