Ralf Hutter Fan Club

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

swaction

Ralf Hutter Fan Club

Post by swaction » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:18 pm

After seeing many of Ralf's stylish minimalistic cable jobs on this site I thought it was time to have a crack at one myself.

The Neo Classic case mod was fun, but I wanted more. Like most of you i get a bit of a kick out of building systems & seeing how they go.. not to mention all the experimenting you can do with new materials you find around the house \ electronics store...

Here's a small snipped from my latest build. It's the lower HDD tray on my P180. The lower fan has been decoupled (using spare silicone gromets from the upper hdd cage) which in turn creates room for the SATA + power cables to feed through to the drives without having to first pass through the upper chamber. The outside of the drive cage has a layer of asphalt dampening material (siver) as do the surrounding metal areas. This is an attempt to absorb any noise coming from the drives. The inner area of the cage has dense foam padding with enough space to allow decent airflow. Areas around the front intake also have foam padding, none of which impeeds airflow.

I think the asphalt dampening material combined with the foam does work. Most high frequency sounds are blocked and the seeks seem somewhat "deddened".

Image Image

The 2nd shot is of the same dampening asphalt on the inside of the door. Silver cloth tape was used to cover the edges where "tar" could squeeze out and mark anything it came into contact with...

Thoughts \ constuctive criticism anyone?

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:52 pm

i like the title :D
catches a lot of attention

as for you case
excellent, but not yet on par with Ralf's

on a side note, WHY don't we have a Mike Fan Club or Ralf Fan club?

swaction

Post by swaction » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:11 pm

theyangster wrote:i like the title :D
catches a lot of attention

as for you case
excellent, but not yet on par with Ralf's

on a side note, WHY don't we have a Mike Fan Club or Ralf Fan club?
It's no Ralf toppler yet.. maybe one day. Here's a shot of the heat-shrinked power cables.. Excuse the mess at the top of the case as the high density foam is missing..

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:15 pm

how did the fan swap on your zalman 7000 go for you?

swaction

Post by swaction » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:21 pm

theyangster wrote:how did the fan swap on your zalman 7000 go for you?
It's the second one I've done on this baby and they are easy as pie. Just make sure to place something soft & squishy in between the fan and the metal base. I didn't bother about the tiny screw holes... nothing some strong glue can't fix =)

Im thinking that the 80mm fan on the 9800pro heatsink isn't really required with the P180... The GPU does get pretty hot under full gaming load, but from what I hear they are pretty sweet until your system becomes unstable... Anyone else with a 9800pro \ P180 \ Zalman combo tried running them fanless?

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:19 am

Do you have any hard drives in the upper cage?

I removed the upper cage completly since I wasn't going to place any hard drives there. I don't know if it affects airflow, but it should do SOME good atleast.

swaction

Post by swaction » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:13 am

Ackelind wrote:Do you have any hard drives in the upper cage?

I removed the upper cage completly since I wasn't going to place any hard drives there. I don't know if it affects airflow, but it should do SOME good atleast.
No drives in the upper tray - I figured since I only have 2 they would be best suited down below to gain airflow from the bottom dan as well as to clear the wait for airflow into the upper chambersince there is no intake fan...

I'm thinking a 120mm 5v fan could help suck in more air since it's starting to get a little warmer here in Sydney this time of year... Case temps up to 35+ deg today for example...

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:29 am

swaction wrote: Im thinking that the 80mm fan on the 9800pro heatsink isn't really required with the P180... The GPU does get pretty hot under full gaming load, but from what I hear they are pretty sweet until your system becomes unstable... Anyone else with a 9800pro \ P180 \ Zalman combo tried running them fanless?
Ive got a 9800SE softmodded to a 9800pro. Ive got the zalman cooler on it and have never used a fan on it. No intake fan either.