My first build: dust sanctuary

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CGameProgrammer

My first build: dust sanctuary

Post by CGameProgrammer » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:17 am

Here are a couple of photos of my system, the first system I'd ever put together. It's been running for over 7 months, 24/7, never cleaned, and apparently putting an intake fan next to the unfiltered side air vent had certain consequences.

The system was on when the pictures were taken and the fans were spinning. Excuse the cabling mess; it was my first system after all.

The Nexus 120mm fans are obvious. One is used for exhaust, the other as a side air intake to blow air across the GPU (6600GT) and northbridge heatsinks. Both components are fanless otherwise. Everything's undervolted to around 5-7V. A Freezer 64, Seasonic S12-430, and SmartDrive HDD enclosure are also used.

If you're wondering, the side Nexus fan is mounted on a Zalman fan bracket. There is a small amount of vibration hum but not much, and it works very well for cooling.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:22 am

Wow, that is a lot of dust for only 7 months operation. Do you live in an area with particularly bad air quality? I believe Bluefront is the maestro of filters on SPCR; IIRC he recommends pleated car filters for use with silent PC's?

sanse

Re: My first build: dust sanctuary

Post by sanse » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:46 am

CGameProgrammer wrote:Here are a couple of photos of my system, the first system I'd ever put together. It's been running for over 7 months, 24/7, never cleaned, and apparently putting an intake fan next to the unfiltered side air vent had certain consequences.
ah, this pc looks healthy and used. ;-)

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:02 pm

jaganath wrote:Wow, that is a lot of dust for only 7 months operation. Do you live in an area with particularly bad air quality?
Not really, but the system is in my bedroom, which is a bit messy, and it's on the floor on thick carpet, and there are two cats that crawl around alot.

Today my new P150, MB, and GPU will arrive so I can upgrade my system. Hopefully dust will be less of a problem with this new one.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Getting it off the floor may slow the accumulation as well.
Last edited by Sizzle on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:57 pm

every time you treat a pc like that someone kills a kitten :cry:

hot tip is to elevate the case a little bit off the floor if possible. juse a small stool or something. I have some crappy "thing" i made in 9th grade carpentry that i have sawed off half the legs on to bring the total height down a bit. works like a charm when you have air filtering in addition.

diver

Post by diver » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:32 am

I would rather be forced to eat hot dogs for a month, than have the inside of my PC looking like a total rat's nest with or without the dust.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:36 am

every time you treat a pc like that someone kills a kitten
:!: :?:
I would rather be forced to eat hot dogs for a month, than have the inside of my PC looking like a total rat's nest
I would actually jump at the chance to eat hot dogs for a whole month. :lol: I think we need to cut the guy some slack:
The system was on when the pictures were taken and the fans were spinning. Excuse the cabling mess; it was my first system after all.
Of more concern is the level of dust as that can impair heatsink effectiveness.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:43 pm

I just replaced a friend's CPU fan that had seized up from all the dust in his computer. The computer wouldn't let him start (the "check CPU fan" option in the BIOS was on).

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:38 pm

That's nothing! You should see what my computer looks like inside after a month of sitting on the dorm room floor!

epiphane

Post by epiphane » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:29 pm

CGameProgrammer wrote:..SNIP...Today my new P150, MB, and GPU will arrive so I can upgrade my system. Hopefully dust will be less of a problem with this new one.
Let's see how that new puter is coming...

be careful...everyone is allowed some slack on their first system...the bar is raised for #2 :lol:

Cheers

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:11 am

Badger wrote:I just replaced a friend's CPU fan that had seized up from all the dust in his computer. The computer wouldn't let him start (the "check CPU fan" option in the BIOS was on).
he's lucky, i've witnessed many older AMDs such as the AthlonXP line burn up that way.