My Latest Victim >D

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Chris Chan

My Latest Victim >D

Post by Chris Chan » Fri May 19, 2006 1:34 pm

Up for examination today is a Celeron 1000MHz system, that has been infected by the too-loud bug. Its owner, yours truly, has attempted to make the computer as quiet as possible. I was inspired by Isaac Kuo partly, and by the copious amounts of foam slabs my art teacher gave me.

Interior pic. Here you can see the foam piece that I wedged in front of the front intake holes.

Front, with bezel off. Here you can see the foam I wedged into the 5.25 bays not occupied by a CD-RW drive.

CPU heatsink. It's a Coolermaster model with a 60x15 Protechnic fan, fanmated at 5v. I tied the fan on the HS with wire, as I lost the fan snap-in piece that gives you screw holes.

The open PCI slots. Here you can also see the Fanmate and network card.

What is behind the foam in the 5.25 bays. It's a Maxtor 5400RPM 20GB HDD, in the stock Evercase HDD cage, suspended with elastic.

The left side panel. I put foam on it to absorb noise. The cutouts are where it would have hit the drive bays and PSU.

The rig, all put together. Looks like any other generic homebuild, yet is quieter than 90% of them.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel Celeron 1000MHz (Coppermine-128)
Motherboard: Trigem Anaheim 3
Memory: 128MB generic PC100 + 128MB Kingston PC100
Video card: Integrated
HDD: 20GB Maxtor 5400RPM (unbearably loud when hard-mounted)
Optical: LiteOn LTR-52327S CD-RW
Floppy: Panasonic something-or-other
Case: Ever Case (either ECE4184 or ECE4204)
PSU: Fortron/PowerMan FSP250-60GTA

picture_perfect

Post by picture_perfect » Sat May 20, 2006 4:17 pm

did you happen to record any temperatures before/after. i've been wondering if adding enough foam can actually raise temperatures inside a case. foam being an insulator and all.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sat May 20, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi picture_perfect,
No, I didn't record before/after temps. I had no way to, as the motherboard is sh!t and doesn't support temp monitoring. I left the HDD in the stock cage to provide a heatsinking effect, as I don't want to have to lose all my data and programs to an overheated HDD. By the way, I've since relocated the HDD to right in front of the front intake on foam, because the old location provided absolutely zero airflow.
Chris

PS: BTW, excellent work on that wallmount pc.
PPS: I did some primitive readings with a liquid crystal strip fever thermometer, and I think the CPU is ~100-105F folding, and the HDD 90F.

picture_perfect

Post by picture_perfect » Sun May 21, 2006 1:07 pm

sounds like the temps are nice & low. btw i'll be adding some mods to the wallmount so check back sometime.