Silent Trio: Antec Solo and Core 2 Duo build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

L3thal

Silent Trio: Antec Solo and Core 2 Duo build

Post by L3thal » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Here is my new system I just built last weekend. Everything is completely new except my trusty ole Seasonic S12-430 and older Lite-On drive. Everything is runnin' bone stock(no OC) right now, as I haven't had time to play around with it that much. The cabling is isn't the prettiest, but it is out of airflow's way...I will try to neatin things up some more pretty soon. Only mod to the case so far is the back fan hole being cut out and the soft HD grommets(cut in half) used to mount the front and rear fans. Below are the sytem specs.

Case: Antec Solo
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Edition
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) E6600 OEM w/Scythe Ninja Plus
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2Gb TWIN2X2048-6400C4
HD: Western Digital WD3200KS 320Gb
P/S: Seasonic S12-430
VGA: Evga Geforce 7900 GT KO (N584) w/Zalman VF900
Optical: Lite-On LTR-52246S CD-RW
Case Fans: Rear/CPU: Yate Loon D12SL-12; Front: Nexus 92mm Real Silent

Keep clickin' them to make bigger :D :
Last edited by L3thal on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nemo

Post by nemo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:20 pm

looking very nice! very similar to what i have in mind for my next system.

Now :D :
Could you post some temps?
How is the noise?
Have you tried to go pasive on the ninja?
Is it a huge inpact temp-wise if you disable the front fan and keep only the rear one active?

cheers

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:40 pm

Haven't tried to run the Ninja passive yet. I'm getting around 40C(according to the supplied software)with the CPU fan. After the AS5 has had a change to settle in, I will do some more extensive temp testing. Noise-wise, the system is pretty quiet with Q-Fan enabled.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:40 pm

That's a nice simple case (quite similar to the P150?) and strangely enough those are almost exactly the parts I would have chosen if I was to have built a new system at the moment. I would have chosen a different optical drive but the rest is all stuff I would like to get sometime soon.

I already have the DVD burner and I have 2 120mm Yate Loons (they're orange D12SL-12 fans).
I guess I would just have to find somewhere to get it all from in Canada because it's not worth getting stuff shipped from the states.

The Core 2 Duo E6600 is definitely the best deal right now.
http://www.greenlyph.com/new/product_in ... cts_id=317

That motherboard is a little expensive though ;)

dentaku

videocard heatsink removal

Post by dentaku » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Another thing... Is it scary removing the stock heatsink from the Geforce 7900?
It's not stuck on with more than just simple clips is it?

L3thal

Re: videocard heatsink removal

Post by L3thal » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:50 pm

dentaku wrote:Another thing... Is it scary removing the stock heatsink from the Geforce 7900?
It's not stuck on with more than just simple clips is it?
No, pretty simple really. You just unscrew the (4) screws on the bottom, and it basically falls off. :D The Lite-On drive is an old one I robbed out of my other case, not the quietest, but it gets the job done. Also, if you don't have to have the retail version of the E6600, Tiger Direct has the OEM ones in stock for $359.99 USD.

moritz

Post by moritz » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:03 pm

dentaku wrote:That's a nice simple case (quite similar to the P150?) [..]
The Antec Solo is the P150 without the Antec PSU.

And I'm not sure if the E6600 is the best deal, I'm considering an E6300 and possibly overclocking it. But even without OC, the E6300 is plenty fast...

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:31 pm

moritz wrote:
dentaku wrote:That's a nice simple case (quite similar to the P150?) [..]
The Antec Solo is the P150 without the Antec PSU.
Antec Solo isn't quite as finished as the P150 or P180. Some parts of it has sharper edges and you will very likely get cut when setting up.

cainester

Post by cainester » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 pm

Nice setup there. I have a similar system using the Solo and Conroe and I haven't made much mods to it with regards to cutting out the grills. Whats the black plastic that you used to wrap around the edges?

Also have you cut off the grill in the front as well? I am just wondering if it will make much of a difference in terms of quietness and airflow.

You might also want to consider sealing off the little holes underneath the exhaust fan to direct airflow from front of the case to the rear, it gives best cooling that way :D

edit: one more thing, how did you install your hard drives? did you use the rubber bands or the grommets? I found in both ways the noise from the HDD is still quite audible (WD2500KS here), and wonder if you have any better ideas to get it done quietly. Thanks!

Takie

Post by Takie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:22 am

Wow, that is a nice configuration. From the look of it also very quiet. I like it ... a lot !

I'm planning to build a very similar setup, also with a P5B and Ninja.
I've heard rumours that it's difficult to install the Ninja on a P5B because the capacitators around the socket would block the mounting clip from the Ninja. What is your experience with this ?

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:06 pm

cainester wrote:Nice setup there. I have a similar system using the Solo and Conroe and I haven't made much mods to it with regards to cutting out the grills. Whats the black plastic that you used to wrap around the edges?

Also have you cut off the grill in the front as well? I am just wondering if it will make much of a difference in terms of quietness and airflow.

You might also want to consider sealing off the little holes underneath the exhaust fan to direct airflow from front of the case to the rear, it gives best cooling that way :D

edit: one more thing, how did you install your hard drives? did you use the rubber bands or the grommets? I found in both ways the noise from the HDD is still quite audible (WD2500KS here), and wonder if you have any better ideas to get it done quietly. Thanks!

I used rubber U-channel molding from www.bestbyteinc.com to dress up the edges around the back fan hole. The front grills arent cut out yet, but I may cut them out one day if I get bored. :wink: I thought about covering the holes in the back of the case with the aluminum HVAC tape I have laying around from my last build. I used the grommets, as they seem quiet enough and more secure.

I've heard rumours that it's difficult to install the Ninja on a P5B because the capacitators around the socket would block the mounting clip from the Ninja. What is your experience with this ?

The install of the Ninja heatsink itself went pretty easy, as the capacitors around the CPU are pretty short, and don't cause interference, but like a dummy, I installed it into the case before I attached the CPU fan...those fan clips can be a real PITA to deal with, especially in tight quarters.