Phantom Gray P150

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DirtyLude

Phantom Gray P150

Post by DirtyLude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Usually I'm a pretty reserved system guy, but I thought I'd go a little crazy on the new Core2Duo system.

Antec P150 with NeoHE
E6600 (running at 3.28Ghz for now)
OCZ PC2-6400
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
7900 GT KO
Zalman NB cooler on the SB
Thermalright HR-05 on the NB
Raptor 74GB
WD 300GB

Resorator 1+
Konnect-O-Matic Passive
MAG II LE Pump
Nexus 120

If you just want to skip to the full gallery:
http://www.higginstribe.com/gallery/case/

The gallery should tell most of the story. Unfortunately the pics are not in order. It's also hard to take pictures of the case, since it reflects like a mirror and I can't really capture the actual color.

The inside of the case and the interior of the panels is all sprayed in truck bed liner. I thought it had a cool texture and I was hoping to add some accoustic mass for some damping. I don't know how well it worked, and for truck bed liner, this stuff scratches pretty easily. It would last 10 seconds in a real truck.

When I riveted everything back together I put a bit of silicon where the panels rivet together. Again hoping to quiet things down.

The underglo lighting is only on for special occasions. Otherwise it bugs me. The red button is to control the lighting modes. There's a picture of the custom controller I have inside the case. The controller will PWM control 3 fans of 3 amps each and report temps with control over USB. Unfortunately I don't have any fans plugged into it. The HDD LED and Power LED are bicolor red/green and alternate colours during HDD activity. It also controls the CCFL's and all the LED's.

Controller:

Final case interior:
http://www.higginstribe.com/gallery/cas ... ternal.jpg

Final case under my messy desk.

Results: The single Nexus is always on 12v and I really can't hear it. I sterted off with a tri-cool, but it was too loud and I stole one of the Nexus fans out of my old Sonata that went to my Wife. The MAG II LE is relatively noisy at 12v. It's regulated right now and at 60% PWM it's inaudible from 3' away. Overall I am happy with it. It's giving excellent temps, even overclocked, and is inaudible unless I'm playing a game and the pump ramps up to 12v. Even then it's not actually loud, it's only noticeable.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Looks cool 8) I was doing something similar, but got bored when i couldn't get the aluminium off the front and screwed up on of the sidepanels.. How did you removet eh aluminium front? IIRC there was some tape or glue in addition to the tabs.

DirtyLude

Post by DirtyLude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:31 pm

nici wrote:How did you removet eh aluminium front? IIRC there was some tape or glue in addition to the tabs.
I used a long chisel to seperate the aluminum from the front. There's thick double sided sticky tape in there. I just jammed the chisel between and removed it slowly.

elendil850
Friend of SPCR

Post by elendil850 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:23 pm

I am amazed. Very nice job on the paintjob.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:34 pm

Very nice! :D

matva

Post by matva » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:54 pm

KEWLDOOD.

The last pic looks like the case is floating.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:52 pm

HOLY CRAP THREAD REVIVAL

How thick was the aluminum front? Did you have to use flexible paint? And how did you stick it back on?

Thanks, Brendan

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:39 pm

holy crap thread revival

do you, anyone have tips/guides on painting the interior of a computer?

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Take the parts out first? :D

... sorry, I couldn't help myself. What kind of advice are you looking for? I've never painted the inside of a computer, but I imagine the same sort of advice for painting anything else would apply: remove dust and oils, use a primer, use more thinner coats and wait plenty of time between coats. And put down some newspaper before you use spray paint.

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:46 pm

well, the difference that i'm looking at is the fact that the inside is not smooth at all. There are lots of small spaces where it'd be hard to get the paint consistent.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:02 am

Thin coats as mentioned, you'll get it nice and smooth eventually even though you might not get the paint absolutely everywhere on each pass.