Very Quiet, High-End PC with innovative PSU duct

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Brian

Very Quiet, High-End PC with innovative PSU duct

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:18 pm

A friend gave me his old PC, with an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and a GeForce 7800GT. The PC also had a WD Caviar in the throes of death, an AMD retail cooler packed with dust, and an Antec PSU that buzzed loudly even at standby. I've removed all three of those troublesome parts.

The CPU and GPU aren't components I would have chosen for a silent rig, but nobody offered to give me low-power, high-end computer parts. :roll:

It's a fairly standard build: Scythe Ninja, VM-101 on the graphics card, Centurion case. Its only fans are three 120mm units at ~900RPM.

ImageThe most innovative part of this build is the PSU cooling solution. I tore the 80mm fan out of the PSU, and ducted a 120mm fan in the 5.25" bays to the PSU. Since the fan is pretty far from the PSU, the duct has to be free of leaks. This is achieved with cardboard and duct tape. The duct has both right and left walls, and the PSU's cables lie outside the duct.

My graphics card gives off about 60W, which I think is a lot. At first, I was having trouble with it overheating. It was getting as high as 105°C, then throttling.

You'll notice the fan on the Ninja is 20° off center. The clips that came with the Ninja seem to allow that sort of arrangement. It generates enough airflow across the VGA cooler to keep the GPU below 65°C. It also keeps the northbridge cool. The Northbridge is sandwiched between the VM-101 and the Ninja. It seems to get as hot as 55°C, but it hasn't died yet. The CPU is nice and cool. It stays below 60°C under load and idles around 25°C.

This rig is very quiet. It's about as loud as the very faint hum of my CRT. It's quiet enough for me to sleep in the same room as it, but not quiet enough for someone who didn't love computers to do the same. There's room for improvement.

Room for Improvement

Running the CPU fans at 5V might keep things cool enough even under load; I haven't tried. But my impression is that the PSU fan has to be kept at 7V anyway.

That is, unless I were to drastically mod the PSU. There's enough room inside the PSU for a 120mm fan. I could cut a hole in its bottom wall and attach a 120mm @ 5V blowing in. But in order to feed such a fan with cold air, I'd have to put the PSU outside the case. Either that, or cut a big hole in the top of the case, which would allow cold air and foriegn particles directly into the PSU.

The bottom third of the PSU is empty - presumably to allow the same PSU internals to be used in PSUs with a fan on the bottom.

Fan speeds are static: 7V by using the 5V rail as a ground. I like them static for three reasons. One, if the computer crashes (which might disable CnQ or otherwise increase power consumption), fan speed remains adequate to cool the PC. Two, Speedfan can't monitor my GPU temp or my fan speeds. I presume that's because it's not 100% compatible with the Asus A8S-X. Three: PSU fan speed regulation without PSU temperature monitoring is just asking for trouble. But if I were to get a fan speed controller, I could definately run the fans at 5V at idle.

The hard drives are mounted using the Centurion's default plastic retaining latches, which is good enough for me. I'm from the old school, and I like to hear my hard drive seeks when I'm at the computer. It's like an audible HDD LED.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:45 pm

A friend gave me his old PC, with an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and a GeForce 7800GT
I wish my friends would give me stuff like that :roll: :lol:

I don't think modding the PSU w/ a 120mm fan is such a good idea, you're already feeding it with cold air using the largest possible fan in the circumstances and a good duct, and in the standard ATX position it would be drawing hot air off the CPU.

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:35 pm

jaganath wrote:
A friend gave me his old PC, with an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and a GeForce 7800GT
I wish my friends would give me stuff like that :roll: :lol:

I don't think modding the PSU w/ a 120mm fan is such a good idea, you're already feeding it with cold air using the largest possible fan in the circumstances and a good duct, and in the standard ATX position it would be drawing hot air off the CPU.
ditto, he considered it old?!?!

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:08 am

Well. Personally he shold be grateful and not :roll:

It's a 939 and a 7800gt which is "kinda" old. Nevertheless you should be loving whoever gave u that becasue you can pretty much tackle anything out there.

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:16 pm

He wanted to exit PC gaming. He feels his 2GHz P4 rig serves him better, being cooler, more reliable, and perfectly adequate. At some point, you decide you have too many PCs, and you get rid of a few of them. Me, I've got five computers in my room, and I only have use for three of them.

Yes, I'm grateful. They're high-end components, which are easily quieted. Maybe not easily silenced, though.

This PSU cooling solution is good enough for now, but I think I can do better. I'm incubating a few ideas, mostly involving installing a 120mm fan inside this PSU. One of my cases has a 2cm gap above the PSU, which means I might be able to mount an ATX PSU upside down, and feed it cool air through a 120mm fan. Or, maybe I'll decide to spend $50 on a Seasonic. Probably not, though - that would just make me want to spend money on hard drive enclosures, 2.5" drives, and an LCD to replace my 19" CRT.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:37 pm

You can easliy silence those components with fans but you'll need to spend a bit of $. Not a lot.

The 4400 should come with a decent heatpipe heatsink and the 7800 can be used with an Arctic Silencer 5 rev 3 or something like that. There is also a Zalman solution but the heat stays in the case unless u duct it.

Plus going by the pic it should be very quiet. Just need cable mangmnt.

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:19 pm

I suspect you and I have a different idea of what "silence" means, Mr. McFlmjig. To me, it means that the computer can not be heard, even when one stops and strains to hear, from where the user sits. It's hard to make 145W silent by that definition.

If you take a second look, I think you'll see this is quiet well beyond what would be achieved with the AMD retail cooler and an AS5.

Cable management: It's difficult with a PSU with very short leads, but I'd say it's pretty good, save for the unappealing ball of 7V mayhem below the graphics card. However, there's nothing down there than needs airflow. Just a sound card and a TV tuner.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:37 pm

I had, because I just sold my entire setup, a 7900gto an Abit Nview, antec 500 smartpower (needed something temp), and 3 drives. 1 Raptor, 1 Seagate and 1 laptop. Laptop couldn't be heard but slow, ugh. Raptor, well we all know how they grind but not bad at all on idle. The loudest thing in my system was the seagate drive which emitted a high pitched sound (drove me nuts so I sold immediately).

I also had a "modded" heatsink using a 80mm arctic coolong fan... which has a hum to it as well. Vmodded it to 7 and put it at its lowest setting. :D

I also had it all in a Microfly which isn't exactly a tremendous dampening case :wink:

I like silence. I don't know remmeber how the heatpipc cooler sounded but at low it really wasn't bad. It was difficult to hear. Then again I don't know if it was the same as the Opteron dual coolers.

In a case like what you have it's very easy to dampen sound.

Heh, heh. I don't want to know it's on.