Quiet YY-0221 ***Updated 05/24/07***

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HaxEJxuK

Quiet YY-0221 ***Updated 05/24/07***

Post by HaxEJxuK » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:30 pm

01/11/07
This is going to be my YY-0221 build. I just like cube cases and I had many options but ended up getting this one. I wish YY-0221 have about a inch more side way on mobo side so I have more options with heatsink such as Ninja. I hope I finish this one not like all the other ones that I built that I never got to finish one way or the other. Not like other build, this one is not about all the blings but more of clean and stock looks. As a lazy person that I am, I do not know if I would ever start or finish this but this is a start. Did I mention I work 7 days a week?(well, most of the times) Meaning this is going to be a slow process. Well, here goes nothing.

01/15/07
I started to dremel my case last friday but I forgot to take digicam with me to my brother's house where I started work so no picture yet. I'm assuming everyone knows what YY-0221 looks like inside and out. If you don't, you can google it as it's too late to take picture now :) So far I have cut out front grill and top where two 120mm fan will be mounted. A word of advise, DO NOT DRINK WHEN YOU USE DREMEL AND when you are POed. I slipped a bit and nicked paint. Not really bad though. I think I can cover it up with U-channel which I have ordered it today along with many other stuff(I'm broke again :( ). When I get the U-channel in couple of days, I'll take my digicam and finish dremeling and take some pictures. I still haven't made up my mind yet as to if I should make 2nd 120mm front intake. I would have no doubt if I wasn't making quiet case but quietness is main thing here so I guess I'll have headache till I get the U-channel. I already had hard time deciding if I should make one or two 120mm exhaust on top due to noise issue but I went with 2 since I didn't want to dremel after I put all the stuff to quiet things down and get metal dust all over the case. I hope I didn't make mistake by doing so. I guess I can tell when I finish building this one. :( Damn, I'm spending way more than I was going to spend. :(

01/17/07
I've just checked the status of the shipment. The U-Channel and SONEX Mini Willtec should be here next Monday and 120mm Yate Loon, Grill and rubber mount for them should be here on this Friday. Yes, I could have used more creative and original way to mount them but I wanted clean look. I might go more creative way as it will be mounted inside where I have no plan to make window for the case as of now but I didn't want to pay shipping again to order just rubber mount. I'll probably go to my brother's house today to pick up $$$ to buy Wii and if I don't forget to take digicam again, I will take picture and post all taped up, dremeled and dusty case.

hmmmm Let's see how much I have spent so far........

YY-0221 = $165.36
Intel Deal E6300+Mobo+Vista Ultimate = $238.70
74GB Raptor = $127.19
Samsung 931BW = $137.79
G15 = $57.23
10–120mm Yate Loon, wire grill and rubber mount = $43.62
U-Channel and 1 Sonex Mini Willtec = $29.94
Aqua Computer Airplex Evo 240 Grill = $29.86

Total = $910.12

This Oh-this-Intel-deal-is-so-cheap-so-let-me-build-myself-a-new-PC is quickly becoming expensive build. I still have to buy 4GB ram, DS3 or P5B Deluxe and 8800GTS. On my Maybe-I-want-to-buy-these-too list are Coolermaster Fujin which is not out yet, some ram sinks, Slot fan, 2 HR-05, G5 and HR-03 if they finally make adapter for 8800 series. Good side is that I'll finally make use out of Ocz Gamextreme 700W that I bought like begining of last year that I have used maybe a month or so. It was just collecting dust and it's good that I don't have to spend another $150 or so on PSU. :) It's also funny that this 74GB Raptor is my first SATA drive. :) I have 2 - 320GB, 160GB, 3 - 80GB, 60GB, 45GB, 40GB, 30GB and maybe 7 - 15GB and under HD but all are PATA. It certainly becoming way way more than what I had in my mind to spend.

01/18/07
It saddens me to cut out a brand new case that I have never got to use but it had to be done. This blowhole on top is pretty much only means of exhausting hot air out of mobo side. I have little more cutting to do on this to make it look better. I also cut out front grill for better airflow and to make it quieter.
Image Image

I cut out metal bracket that I believe is there to hold long cards for better air flow. I need to dremel out sharp edges it left on the case when I took it out.
Image Image

01/29/07
Well, I did little more cutting yesterday at my brother's house but still wasn't able to finish it. Reason? I forgot darn PS bracket that I was going to dremel for better airflow. When I started this, I had not yet released Coolermaster Fujin in my mind for heatsink and planned my build. That's why I have 2 exhaust on top and I'm going to make 2 intake on side to accomodate Fujin as it's going to be butt up against the side panel or stick out little more. To give positive pressure a try, I've finally decided to make 2nd front intake for this and dedicate bottom one just for graphics card which I have different approach already set for it too. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be loud or just so-so noise wise. I know my goal is high with so much openings and six 120mm, 1-2 92mm and 120mm from PS. Man that' 8-9 fans total. :( I'm more concerned about big openings than fan though. :( I'll probably kick and beat da hell outta my brand new case if this build doesn't turns out to be something I wanted it to be.

01/31/07
So, I had to stop by my brothers house last night and I figured I wouldn't have time to measure and dremel front intake but have time to dremel PS bracket for maximum air flow for my Ocz Gamextreme 700W. Here is before and after shot which I didn't do a good job but I'm going to paint it to black anyway. I'm probably going to use some filler even though I probably can't tell once I paint it. Next picture should be 2nd intake with internal fan which should be little tricky but I have my plan for this one too.
ImageImage

02/05/07
Well, I no longer have 2nd job so my weekends are free. I just had to waste this weekend sleeping after about 1 1/2 years of almost no day off(other than sickdays and intentional day off of course.) Now, only thing that is stopping me from finishing this is my lazy A$$ and $$$. Right now, it's more of $$$ since I don't have my 2nd job. Since I figured I don't have new picture of my case and maybe new idea about 2nd intake, I figured to post some sites that have information about Fujin. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=132058 and http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?L ... GP+GeminII. Enjoy

04/18/07
Lots of things happened since last update. Biggest thing is that I got laid off from my last job and that's the reason I couldn't work on this build. No time to build and no $$$ to purchase parts. Now I got a new job and recovering. It looks like it's going to take sometime to purchase other main parts. So I decided to finish up the case first. My plans for the case changed a bit. instead of wire fan grill for top 2 120mm fan, I decided to go with Aqua Computer Airplex Evo 240 Grill which has more factory look than using u-channel and wire fan grill which I put in order today. I'll post installed grill pic which won't be finished case though since I changed my mind about location of the intake fan(Yeah, it's been that long since my last update) I think it's going to be either 4/28-4/29 or 5/12-5/13 since my wife planned vacation to Disney World months ago with my little daughter. It's 5/2-5/8 so I won't be able to do anything with the case during that Time.

05/24/07
:( Can't seem to make time to work on this case. Inspection for my car is due on June and I'm using up every weekend to work on car and help my wife and can't make time for this. I still have to do tranny oil change, front swaybar, front brake pads, fix one tire, fix rear swaybar and exhaust pipe rubbing etc. etc. I wish I can have a week to do whatever I want to do. :evil:

08/06/07
Well, this is back from dead. Lots of things changed now and seems it's going to be like end of year that I'm going to finish this. Lazy Aren't I? I gave my e6300 to my brother so he can retire from his AMD64 3200+ and I decided to get q6600 once I have the money. Also I decided to go with different mobo too. Yeah it's been that long that I had to change my mind about mobo and CPU. Sucks not to have 2nd job and had to take paycut at new job, otherwise this should have completed long time ago. Also, we will have 4th family member in December(once again, yeah it's been that long lofl). We have a boy that is due in December so heck I might not even be able to finish this by December lol. Anyways, I completed top vent and one intake on mobo side. I'll post picture asap. Once I make one more front intake, I'm done dremeling my case. I should be able to smooth out cut and finally take those ugly masking take off(finally in about like 9months.) Once I'm down dremeling, I'm 100% sure this yy-0221 will be best yy-0221 as far as airflow goes(stock yy-0221 sucks a$$ when comes to airflow if you don't know) But I guess I first have to finish it to show you. I would have no regret buying this case if it had about inch or so more sideways on mobo side. I really had hard time choosing this one and P180 but decided to go with with case. I wish I had gotten P180 though just becase I didn't have to deal with so much dremeling with this case. I already gone through 10 disc of one of those reinforce grey disc. I think I need to buy pack more to finish. I think it's 1mm think case and it's really hard to dremel and even worse when it comes to drill a hole. Hopely My wife will let me work on this case this weekend so I'm done with dremel.
Last edited by HaxEJxuK on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:42 am, edited 7 times in total.

vapb400

Post by vapb400 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Can't wait to see this, we have that case at work in one of the servers that I should be inheriting soon. Very interested to see how it comes out.

HaxEJxuK

Post by HaxEJxuK » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:15 pm

Yeah, I can't wait till I finish this up. But then, I gotta deal with time, money and my lazy a$$. So, like I said earlier this is going to be slow process.

crashthenet44

Post by crashthenet44 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:04 am

Fujin is sick. I just might have to pick one up when they go on sale in March. Even though I have visions of all that weight crashing to the bottom of my case after the mounting bracket breaks and rips the CPU socket clear out of the motherboard.

I found this comparison of Gemini/Fujin, Infinity and Noctua http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=132996

BTW keep up the good work man.

HaxEJxuK

Post by HaxEJxuK » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 pm

Yeah, that is the site where I first saw Fujin but not that thread though. It weighs little more than Tuniq, about 70g lighter than Zalman 7700 and over 110g lighter than Infinity. Also, like they said it cools about the same as Tuniq and Infinity but Fujin has benefit of cooling entire upper side of mobo. :)

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:20 pm

Start working you lazy modder :wink:
It's a very intresting modd-project you got there. I haven't seen that case being used before. And that cooler is nasty...and so cool.
I can't wait for the finish :)

Suspect

Post by Suspect » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:59 am

Thats going to be one monster case, would make a great file server, looking forward to see the progress.