Finally finished my build.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

miahallen

Finally finished my build.

Post by miahallen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Well, this has been a long time coming...it's my first quiet build. I'm pretty happy with it. I built it for performance first, silence second. In all, I'm running 6 120mm fans, plus the video card's integrated fan. The video card, CPU and PS fans are all tempreture controlled (but the only one that seems to ramp up is the CPU, I think my proc is almost dead). The four case fans are all Yate Loons running at 7V each (off the nexus fan controller). So far so good (except my CPU on it's last leg :cry: )

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:10 pm

wasn't all of this in another thread?

Very nice build by the way! :)

Really liked the video! How quiet is it? Dead silent?

Derek

miahallen

dead silent?

Post by miahallen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:25 pm

1) Yes it's in another thread (that was during the build) for system advice. Now that I'm done, I thought I'd add it again here, to show off the finished project (wait a sec, did I say "finished" :roll: ).

2) NO! Not dead silent, especially by the standards in place around here. But HD seek noise doesn't really bother me, and it's pretty mild anyhow. However, the seven fans put together ARE audible, but I would call them "whisper quite". Just a bit above ambient. Like I said, my primary goal is performance.

3) My biggest noise problem now is the electronic buzzing from various mobo component through my headphones (I usually use them for gaming). I think I need a discreet sound card to get rid of that though.

miahallen

I take it back...

Post by miahallen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:09 pm

derekchinese wrote: Really liked the video! How quiet is it? Dead silent?
Derek
Well, I have to take it back, after giving my system a workout with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. my PSU is definitly ramping up the fan speed, and getting quite noisy, maybe it's time to move to a new Seasonic. I think my GFX card's fan is ramping up a little, but I don't hink I'll hear it much until I replace the PSU :wink:
Oh well, the battle continues :)

stv

Post by stv » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:17 pm

nice system!!!

you are selling a dual sata II
i see your post in other forum :D

miahallen

yup

Post by miahallen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:22 pm

stv wrote:nice system!!!

you are selling a dual sata II
i see your post in other forum :D
Yes, that's me! I offered it there because of the large ASRock fan base there. Do you think I should list it here as well? I also have a TT Big Typhoon I'm going to post here.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Seasonic is probably a good idea. From what I have seen, Antec's PSUs are complete garbage. They are not reliable at all.

Those Yate Loon fans are high RPM. Have u ever tried 5v? I wonder if it will reliably start a 5v?

Derek

miahallen

5V?

Post by miahallen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:56 pm

My Vantec fan controller only outputs 7-12V. Concerning the Nexus version, which is identicalexcept that it spins at only 1000RPM @ 12V SPCR says:
The point of inaudibility is somewhere around ~8V, so many users use the 7 volt trick for the best compromise between noise and airflow. We do not recommend running the fan at 5V, as some samples have trouble starting at this level.
And I think they are just fine at 7V, I cannot hear them at all. Even at 12V they seem very quiet to me.

miahallen

Added duct & recorded temps

Post by miahallen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:51 am

I created a small duct (I'll get some pictures up later) for my video card's intake fan. It was running really hot previously, I think this was due to the heat being generated by the chipset heatsink just below. The duct encourages the NB heat to get sucked out the back and the video card to draw cool air in from the front.

I was just playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for a few hours, and I (which utilizes multiple cores). It was running one core between 80 & 90% load, and the second core was loaded between 50 & 60%. So I ran an instance of CPU burn at the same time, so I would be putting a full load on both cores, and my video card all at the same time. Highest temps reached were:
Opteron 165 @ 2.0GHz....60C
nForce4 chipset................51C
eVGA 8800GTX................85C (believe it or not, this is pretty average)

These were recorded with all fans running at 12V (which is how I will always run for gaming). Turning them down doesn't make any sense because of how noisy the PSU is when loaded.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 pm

this duct sounds interesting. waiting for the pics

miahallen

duct photos

Post by miahallen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:49 pm

derekchinese wrote:this duct sounds interesting. waiting for the pics

stv

Post by stv » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:42 pm

hi
nice pics!!!
great video card!!!! .... i will wait a little more for a dx10 video card
the duct looks interesting and mus work fine

yes i think you should list your asrock mobo here ...do a combo with the TT Big Typhoon 8)

i have a opteron 165 too... at full load @2200 max temp 55 ºC
your cpu temp seems a little high :roll:

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:02 pm

not as extravagant as the rest of your build :P but still effective. Did you get good prices on those yate loon fans? It is seemingly impossible to find yate loon fans in Canada. It seems like a shipment may be comping in on the 25th. If they do come in, I probably grab at least 10!

Thanks for the pics!

Derek

miahallen

Yate Loon fans

Post by miahallen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:28 am

derekchinese wrote:Did you get good prices on those yate loon fans?
$3.50 at jab-tech.com I bought 4 for $3.00 each. You just can't beat the price, and they are SO quiet! I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

BTW - I wonder how difficult it would be to do a fan swap on this Enermax Liberty PS?
Last edited by miahallen on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:37 am

stv wrote:i have a opteron 165 too... at full load @2200 max temp 55 ºC
Yeah, I was saying before - I think the CPU is on it's last legs. I was previously able to run at 2.4GHz all day with only 1.225V and temps were staying around 40C at load (with the Big Typoon). Or I could run it all the way up to 2.7GHz with the stock 1.35V with temps hovering around 50C at load.....

Oh but those days have come and gone. The proc has slowly faded to where I am today. I can no longer get good OCs and it tends to run much hotter than before. Not sure what's up with that, but gives me a good excuse to upgrade to a quad core when the Barcelona hits the market and Kensfield prices drop. :)

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:03 pm

fan swaps look quite easy. Just be careful to take the right precautions so you don't get shocked! And say goodbye to the warranty. I hear it is worth it though on the Enermax PSUs.

I am hoping that some of those Yate Loon fans come to Canada soon. My local shop (NCIX.com) claims to be getting them in on the 25th

Derek

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:53 am

Looks very nice. About the CPU, did it's top end start lowering after switching HSF's? Could always be a mounting problem of sorts--I just had a problem with a Zalman 7000 on an old Socket-A system, it was installed properly but I had to pull it out and give a little extra bend to the *thingy-which-applies-pressure* and then it worked fine. I could actually poke at different parts of the heatsink and watch the temperature vary in BIOS (including skyrocketing up and triggering the emergency thermal shutdown).

That fan on the rear of the expansion slots is great! :lol:

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:23 am

hmm, i see the nice duct, how would you say i should go about ducting my RAM? the 4 DIMMs seem to just roast my lower CPU, what kind of cardboard did you use? and i see that masking tape is the preferred type...i should find some around here.

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:36 am

psiu wrote:Looks very nice. About the CPU, did it's top end start lowering after switching HSF's? Could always be a mounting problem of sorts--I just had a problem with a Zalman 7000 on an old Socket-A system, it was installed properly but I had to pull it out and give a little extra bend to the *thingy-which-applies-pressure* and then it worked fine. I could actually poke at different parts of the heatsink and watch the temperature vary in BIOS (including skyrocketing up and triggering the emergency thermal shutdown).

That fan on the rear of the expansion slots is great! :lol:
I've started with a TT Big Typhoon (when I first got the CPU), it gave me the good OCing success at the beginning. I started loosing my top end with the original mouning, but I've tried remounting it a number of times, and now I've switched to the Ninja, but to no avail.
Thanks for the props on my expansion slot exhaust. I'm working on building an interior duct for the fan right now, I'll let you know how it goes. :?

miahallen

new GPU exhaust fan

Post by miahallen » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:25 pm

miahallen wrote:Thanks for the props on my expansion slot exhaust. I'm working on building an interior duct for the fan right now, I'll let you know how it goes. :?
OK, I finished my new rear exhaust. It's not pretty, but it works!

miahallen

other changes

Post by miahallen » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:47 pm

derekchinese wrote:not as extravagant as the rest of your build but still effective.
bonestonne wrote:hmm, i see the nice duct, how would you say i should go about ducting my RAM? the 4 DIMMs seem to just roast my lower CPU, what kind of cardboard did you use? and i see that masking tape is the preferred type...i should find some around here.
Well, I also made a new intake duct for the GPU, this one was made from a small wooden bowl I bought at a 100 yen ($1) store. I cut it in half, then shaved some material off the top and bottom to make it fit. I think I'll probably redo it again later, my temps were a little better with the cardboard.

Lastly, I cleaned up my wiring a little bit, especially at the bottom to improve airflow to the PSU.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:22 am

So your fluent in English and Japanese. Very cool.

I LOVE THE VIDS, keep them coming and great work!

Eventually, I will get around to my build. I just grabbed an E6700 L629A as a gift to myself :D. I am very excited! As I am inspired by your posts, I will have to copy you and put some videos up too!

Keep it coming!
Derek

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:26 am

Hey, did the fan swap work well?

It's kind of funny becuase you swapped for a yate loon. I have an OEM fortron 400W that already has a Yate Loon inside! It is a ball bearing model though :(

miahallen

PSU fan swap

Post by miahallen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:48 am

derekchinese wrote:Hey, did the fan swap work well?

It's kind of funny becuase you swapped for a yate loon. I have an OEM fortron 400W that already has a Yate Loon inside! It is a ball bearing model though :(
Actually, it went really well, I can no longer hear it :P There's some pics in this thread:
Anyone swap the fan in a Liberty PSU yet?

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Good thing you did not get shocked. When I opened my PSU, holy shit I was afraid of death by PSU shock! I was shaking, and when I finished the job, I was thankful as hell. I AM STILL ALIVE!!!!!!!

Derek

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:04 am

You should consider taking off the rear fan and ducting the Ninja to the back. Your temps should stay the same with a whole lot less noise coming out of the rear. At least that was the case with my Ninja.

miahallen

finally hung my HDDs

Post by miahallen » Mon May 07, 2007 3:16 am

Check out my new HDD suspension:
4th post on this page

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Mon May 07, 2007 8:23 am

Your Ninja fan clips are backward. :P

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Sun May 13, 2007 3:17 am

miahallen wrote:
stv wrote:i have a opteron 165 too... at full load @2200 max temp 55 ºC
Yeah, I was saying before - I think the CPU is on it's last legs. I was previously able to run at 2.4GHz all day with only 1.225V and temps were staying around 40C at load (with the Big Typoon). Or I could run it all the way up to 2.7GHz with the stock 1.35V with temps hovering around 50C at load.....

Oh but those days have come and gone. The proc has slowly faded to where I am today. I can no longer get good OCs and it tends to run much hotter than before. Not sure what's up with that, but gives me a good excuse to upgrade to a quad core when the Barcelona hits the market and Kensfield prices drop. :)
Well, apparently I fixed me CPU OC problem. I've reinstalled the Ninja again, this time I used the thermal paste that came with the Ninja, instead of my AS5 (which is very tick and difficult to spead, can it go bad?). I'm back to my previous sweat spot...OC'd to 2.4GHz and UV to 1.25V 8).

With the front door closed (lower noise):
idle..................................CPU 47C & GPU - 62C
ORTHOS + rthdribl...........CPU 61C & GPU - 83C

With the front door open (see linked screenshots):
idle..................................CPU 44C & GPU - 60C
ORTHOS + rthdribl...........CPU 58C & GPU - 78C

You might also notice in the stress testing screenshot, it's been running like that for almost 15 hours, so I'd say it's pretty stable :)