Multi-purpose "always on" low power/noise system

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hware

Multi-purpose "always on" low power/noise system

Post by hware » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:57 am

System usage:

Placed behind the TV acting as a mediacenter, entertainment system and multi purpose server (also online).
As the system is turned on 24/7 I build it with low power in mind. It draws about 52watt at ideal and 79watt is most I've seen when not idle.
I really hate computer noise so low noise was also a key factor. I also tried to keep it at a low price.. Ended up about 600$.

Purpose:
  • - I have some heavy statistical programs running on it every four hours that require quite some power, therefore I also need a cpu thats not all that bad.
    - Two old school amiga like joysticks connected to it (Speed-Link Competition Pro USB) for gaming old amiga games, Mame and other emulators. Nice for two players and kid loves it.
    - Connected with television and watch movies and some streamed TV shows.
    - Connected with the living room stereo with a full music database and better television sound.
    - Remote desktop via VNC with strong encryption to make it available everwhere.
    - Installed Ajaxamp for Winamp so I can hear my music anywhere.
    - FTP server.
Build:
  • - Cpu: Sempron 3400+ 1.8 GHz (62W 69°C)
    - Motherboard: ASRock ALIVENF6G-DVI
    - Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 512 MB (DDR2 PC2-4200)
    - Cpu fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
    - Harddisk: Samsung SP 320 GB HD321KJ 7200rpm SATA II
    - Power: Seasonic S12 strømforsyning 380 W, 120 mm
    - Gfx: EN7300LE TOP/HTD/256M (fanless)
    - Case: Antec LifeStyle SOLO
    - DVD/CD: Samsung DVD+RW SH-S182D/BEWE bulk White
Consideration on each part:
  • - Cpu: Cheap, low powered, nice to undervolt, still delivers good performance. Supports cool'n'quiet.
    - Motherboard: Cheap but have all I need, nice bios with lots of options. No noisy chipset fan. Supports cool'n'quiet.
    - Memory: Made sure it was on motherboards list of compatible memory. No need for fancy memory for a minimum gain.
    - Cpu fan: This is pretty noisy at full speed, but I read it was very quite when given less voltage (true). Price is equal to a large pizza.
    - Harddisk: Only has two platters (less noise), read it was very lownoise which is true, I have never noticed it. Good experiance with Samsung HD's.
    - Power: Read it was pretty quiet and this system doesn't require much power.
    - Gfx: Can handle both being an entertainment system (Mame, Winaue) and Mediacenter. It has HDTV out but I doubt my system could handle 1080p probably only 720p. Fanless. Also have a low power build.
    - Case: Was recommended and since my system was gonna be placed behind a big TV (out of sight) looks/size didn't matter. Nice HD suspension and built towards low noise.
Modifications:
  • - Cpu: Undervolted to 1.20v for less power usage but still running full speed 1.8Ghz. Undervolting also made the CPU cooler and temp is around 25-35c. Have been rock solid no crashes and running 24/7.
    - Motherboard: No tweaks (other than modifying CPU to 1.20v in bios). Using onboard sound which is nice.
    - Memory: No tweaks.
    - Cpu fan: I had a Zalman fanmate laying around and throttled CPU fan down to 1200rpm (rpm viewable in bios) which makes it about inaudioable. Was planning on giving it 7v but remembered I had the Zalman fanmate.
    - Harddisk No tweaks.
    - Power: No tweaks.
    - Gfx: No tweaks. Could probably undervolt/clock it for less power usage.
    - Case: Have set the internal 120mm cooler to low (it has low/mid/high switch).
Other notes:
  • - First tried a LC-Power Silent Giant Green 420W 140mm (now sitting in another system), this was quiet but still more noisy than the seasonic.. power usage was about the same.
    - Feared the seasonic would throttle up, but has never done that.. probably because system uses minimal power and temps are ok.
    - If the system should be even more quiet the seasonic should probably be replaced. I didn't want fanless power as the system is always turned on.
Conclusion:

It's been running for about two months now and I'm happy with it, it's only audioble when alone in the room and everything else is turned off and windows are closed. It has never crashed and always turned on, and is only rebooted for security updates. I'm also happy with the power usage of 52watt idle and 75-79watt on load.

Sorry no pictures of my system, but most probably seen an Antec Solo case before :)

Martin

Kaoru

Post by Kaoru » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 am

Good information. Noticed you said it plays "streamed TV shows", but does this mean you run your TV channels thru it and/or record TV ?

Alot of usefull information since Im planning something similiar. You can view my thread here.

Also, how much free space inside the case is "unused" ? Like from the motherboards top to the other side. Using your system, what size of case can it fit into ?

Finally, how do you connect those amiga-like joystiks ? If you bought them with your system, where and at what cost ?
I have broken all my amiga joystiks - with regular use only - :D.
Last edited by Kaoru on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

J. Sparrow

Re: Multi-purpose "always on" low power/noise syst

Post by J. Sparrow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:24 am

hware wrote:- Gfx: EN7300LE TOP/HTD/256M (fanless)
IGP was not enough?

I'm setting up a similar system with these differences:

- CPU is a 90 nm Athlon64 Winchester 2.0 GHz (1.25V)
- No discrete graphics
- Seagate HDD
- DDR1 RAM
- S12-430W

Power draw is ~45 W at idle (no CnQ) and 65W with SP2004 running, but CPU/RAM should be more power-hungry than yours. At a first glance, I'd say that video card makes quite a difference.

hware

Post by hware » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:55 pm

Good information. Noticed you said it plays "streamed TV shows", but does this mean you run your TV channels thru it and/or record TV ?
I use a free internet service that streams the Danish tv channels (yes I'm Danish). But I have thought of adding a tv-in card so I can record shows etc.
Also, how much free space inside the case is "unused" ? Like from the motherboards top to the other side. Using your system, what size of case can it fit into ?
There's a picture of my system here.
Finally, how do you connect those amiga-like joystiks ? If you bought them with your system, where and at what cost ?
I have broken all my amiga joystiks - with regular use only
It's just replica's running USB, I live in Denmark where many stores have them, do a google search for "Speed-Link Competition Pro USB". Cost like $20.
IGP was not enough?

I'm setting up a similar system with these differences:
Power draw is ~45 W at idle (no CnQ) and 65W with SP2004 running, but CPU/RAM should be more power-hungry than yours. At a first glance, I'd say that video card makes quite a difference.
I tried remove the EN7300LE videocard and use the IGP, and power draw was exactly the same as yours. 45W at idle and saw 65W max when running a benchmark in Pc Wizard 2007. I bought the videocard because it has HDTV out and I'm planning on buying a HDTV capable TV in the not so far future. If I had waited some months I could probably buy a motherboard with IGP HDTV which I believe is available now.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 pm

hware wrote:I tried remove the EN7300LE videocard and use the IGP, and power draw was exactly the same as yours. 45W at idle and saw 65W max when running a benchmark in Pc Wizard 2007.
65 nm and much lower VDimm should shave off some watts from the total. Maybe the AC load is the same because of decreased efficiency of the PSU, it would be interesting to test this hypothesis with a picoPSU.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 pm

F@H?

BillTodd

Post by BillTodd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:08 am

Maybe the AC load is the same because of decreased efficiency of the PSU...
I've seen that effect . It's worth measuring the DC side (voltage * current) with a clamp meter to test the actual power used.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:38 am

From a quick search, clamp meters seem to be pretty expensive (75+ €?)

BillTodd

Post by BillTodd » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:34 pm

75 euro is not too bad for a DC clamp meter (AC ones are cheaper), although I've just bought a cheap one from CPC in a sale for £13 (ex vat). :)